Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2007 Long Bed DC Tundra with 47,000 miles and it's sitting at my Dealer in Round Rock Texas. They just called and the belt tensioner failed and chewed up the fan belt (long serpentine belt in front), also did damage to the fan. Anyway, $350 later they want me to pay for the whole thing, since I'm "outta warranty". Anybody know about a TSB on this issue? Anybody else had a failure like this? My truck is in pristine condition, even wiht the miles and I'm about to file a case with Toyota. Anybody got any help? Thanks! _ Wes

·
Jedi Ninja in Training
8,309 Posts

·
Registered
889 Posts
I got mine changed when it has only 12K miles. I complained about the knocking/ticking sounds in the front... I mentioned to them that maybe the tensioner... they found the TSB and fixed it...

... and it actually fixed my problem! I'm happy ever since!

·
Registered
375 Posts
The bottom of the TSB reads 3 years or 36,000 miles. Make sure you have the right attitude before you go throwing it in there face.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Re: Belt tensioner failure??? UPDATE: Good News! ! !

Great feedback, guys! Thanks. :ts: My dealer continued to turn me down for the belt and tensioner repair (as well as a second complaint I'd lodged that my radio had started malfunctioning, spitting out CD's at will, etc) and so I thought I was cooked, since my mileage was over the 36k and I chose not to purchase the Extended Warr this time. BUT THEN...the inspiration CAME...I suddenly remembered my wife's first cousin, who's in the West Coast corporate office of Toyota. :brick:Been there a long time, so I hear. Ahhhh, my cousin-in-law in at Toyota Corporate. My last bastion of possibility...but would it be appropriate to call? Would I be overstepping my "in-lawlian" bounds??? Awww, hell...I already know the Dealer ain't gonna help me without my own cash, I thought to myself. So I called my cousin-in-law. Incredible...he answers his cell during the business day! Ahhh, yessss! I say hello and discuss pleasantries briefly...then I launch into my saga. He listens intently when I finally offer that I know it's not really his area, but that I just respected his opinion and would appreciate his learned feedback - even if in the end I should just pony up and pay the piper. He asked me to wait while he walked across the office to someone he called, "his Technical Guru". When he arrived at that cube or office, he asked me to describe my problem again with the same technical detail I had just given him. I complied. Then I heard some murmurs and muffled discussion in the background. He asked me to give him some time to make a few calls and that he would call me back. Awesome...someone at ToyCorp looking at my situation. Definitely better than thirty minutes before! So, the ENTIRE day goes by with NO callback. :unsure: I'm thinking, "it didn't work out...Texas is a rogue state", I thought. I remember when I bought, he suggested I go thru him, but then he told me there could be a disconnect between Big ToyCorp and Gulf States Toyota...that they had more power than most of the other Regional centers and sometimes didn't cooperate with the Big ToyCorp. "Dang! The thing I love about being a Texan was about to backfire and derail me. :yo: That damned independent streak we have, always talking about secession", I thought to myself. Oh, well...I was ready to take my lumps. And then, as if the angels had sent my very own messenger floating in on a cloud, :angel: my cell phone rang and it was the Service Advisor at the Dealership. Only he had a VERY different sounding tone...sounded a bit "stepped on", and was suddenly very accomodating. He mumbled something with the words "goodwill accomodation" attached. Then, he said, "we're working on your truck now, "LoanGuy", and should have you all buttoned up by the time we close today at 6. Then, the icing on the cake: "...and we've ordered your new radio. It should be here in the next few weeks...they've been backordered. We'll call you when it comes in." I was ecstatic! :rockon: My CUZ came THRU! ! ! YEAH, BOY ! ! ! I just LOVE it when a plan comes together! In fact, I should give credit where credit is due. My cuz is the freakin' man - first! That's obvious...but then I must give a nod to the ManUpstairs :amen: who often surprises me with things I don't deserve and clearly can't control. You know those little serendipities in life that we all experience from time to time? It was that kind of day on Friday! :thumb: I'm a lucky sonofagun and my Tundra is back on the road! Thank you, guys...for leading my to the TSB that definitely helped in my case! Thank you, Toyota...thank you, cuz...and thank you, HP! :clap2:

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
I could of told that story in two sentences. It would not have been as well written as yours though. I always tell my sister, "Can you just get to the point?".:)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts