Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just finished putting this Bell steering wheel cover on and I have to say it's the best $10 I've spent in a long time.

It's comfortable, the perfect color match, saves your steering wheel, and best of all, inexpensive. Got mine at Checker, but I'm fairly sure most auto parts stores have them as well. By the way the part # is 53138-1

·
Registered
228 Posts
I have one exactly like that. I've had it since I bought the truck, so about a year and a half. It's starting to show wear, but better to buy a new cover than a new steering wheel. :)

·
Registered
4,487 Posts
Only problem with those things is how thick those things are.

Had one on an Expedition I owned. Thought about putting one on a different Expedition, but they're a ***** to get on and I decided it wasn't "that" important, especially since I had put all the wear on the wheel.

-rockstate

·
Registered
279 Posts
I don't get it. How does that thing save your steering wheel. I have never had a steering wheel go bad in close a million miles of driving on several different vehicles. Is used to protect the steering wheel, or is more comfortable? Just curious as I never had the need to buy one.

·
Registered
7,461 Posts
I don't get it. How does that thing save your steering wheel. I have never had a steering wheel go bad in close a million miles of driving on several different vehicles. Is used to protect the steering wheel, or is more comfortable? Just curious as I never had the need to buy one.
steering wheels will wear shiny spots or worn spots after many many many many miles.....our little neon that we had, we bought it used, and had a very worn steering wheel that i had to cover...it was worn down alot. we wear them out on our patrol cars...the rubber part breaks down and starts accumulating dirt and grime, gets rough in the wrong spots, wears the texture off in others so its shiny..etc. steering wheels, depending on how much you vary your driving position and how hard you are on them, can wear out very badly...on the other hand, ive never had a car personally owned that got bad while i had it...only bought used ones already "broken in" or work vehicles who knows what happens to them....

·
Registered
2,947 Posts
Looks nice! My best $10 or under mod is shown in my pic, although I have to repaint the TRD CAI as the paint peeled off (I will have to sand it and prime it first; the other lids are in perfect painted condition so I guess it just the finish of the plastic)!

Attachments

·
Registered
4,610 Posts
You got red rock so you have a lether wheel and you put vinyl over the top of it? what's next, embossed clear vinyl for the seats? let the next owner worry about a worn steering wheel

·
Premium Member
542 Posts
Tough crowd. :boxing:

·
Registered
228 Posts
Just a damned hard bunch to play to.....................

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You got red rock so you have a lether wheel and you put vinyl over the top of it? what's next, embossed clear vinyl for the seats? let the next owner worry about a worn steering wheel
Ok, I take it you're not fond of it............just an option.

I'm not sure exactly what material it's made out of, but it feels like soft leather, not hard vinyl, if that matters.

Tim

·
Mark it eight, Dude...
4,373 Posts
I've never used a steering wheel cover and don't think I ever will. By the time I wear out my steering wheel it will match the worn out truck....

·
Registered
274 Posts
whatever, i always do this too. id rather have the extra cushion on the steering wheel and i trade cars every three years or so. i like everything to look as new as it can. so i pull it off and there is a new steering wheel. hell i take the stock alloys off my current suv and flip them over and clean them front to back, been doing it since 15 miles and it has 23k on it now. detail oriented i guess but im getting 2.5k over kbb, nada and black book on my trade..says something i guess.

·
Registered
241 Posts
I hate wheel covers. They are too thick and don't feel good. Besides, I put up a windshield cover everytime I park my truck, so my wheel doesn't get sun worn.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
You've got it on upside down.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Made you look, didn't I? heheheheh :devil:

·
Registered
420 Posts
A nice accessory, I had one on my last truck, I like the feel of the thicker steering wheel, it is also nicer than the hard plastic when it is very cold or very hot. Going to get one for the Tundra next time I am at Walmart.

·
Registered
4,610 Posts
I've got the basic wheel and upgrading to leather would be nice. Got two pontiacs, one with leather and the other without. the one without has a cover. I've had my Lexus for a decade and it has a cover because previous owner wore rings with sharp edges.
So I don't hate covers, but why would I save the nice leather for someone else?
If I knew I was going to ruin it, then a cover for protection would be nice but not to worry about a little wear. Plus you can get them recovered. Maybe even in red rock to match

·
Registered
313 Posts
I really don't have any under $10 mods or I would post. I came in here to look at some pics of $10 mods I may like to do and was dissappointed to see only the thread starter actually contributed to the thread title while other merely denegrated his addition.

I use to have one of those on another vehicle and I liked the feel (got the velour ;)), but it was a tad thick for my grip.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts