Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New to the forum

I'm in the market for a used Toy Tundra 2002 - 2006. I am not a gifted auto person so I would love some insight into the best Toy Tundra 4 x 4 built during that time frame. I plan to put a lightweight custom camper on the truck. I have owned numerous Toyotas including a '97 4Runner that we keep because of the remarkably low low 4x4 gear ratio and relatively tight turning radius that make this vehicle a terrific 4x4 vehicle. I hope to come close to duplicating that experience with a used Tundra. Any honest advice or help would be greatly appreciated. I live in southwest Colorado and spend time in the San Juan Mtns and desert counrty of southeastern Utah...

· Registered
10 Posts
I have a 02 tundra v8 and love it. I get around 16 to 17 mpg. I believe the 05-06 models have a little more hp than the earlier ones. If pulling a camper may want to consider heavy duty springs in the rear. My truck squats pretty good under a load but pulls great. Maybe someone on here with a camper can leave some input. The trucks are very reliable. Make sure you change the timing belt and water pump at 90,000 and it will be fine. I would definitely recommend this truck. Good luck

· Registered
1,385 Posts
If you have the $$ go for an 05-06'. With all the bugs worked out you should be fine. More power, 5 speed tranny, and more interior storage is nice too. Get yourself some air bags if you plan on having a cab over camper, and spend the money for the remote so you can inflate/deflate from inside. After coming back from 4500 mile road trip a week ago I can say this was a life saver not having to get out in the cold rain of Montana!!!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.