Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Banned
888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What have you found to be the best way to get your Big Ole Truck Outta the hole the fastest ?

Is 1st gear really the place to start ?
Is 1800rpm the best rpm ?
What about your tire pressure ?

:ts:

·
Premium Member
111 Posts
1st gear is the only gear you can start in so I don't understand what you are asking.

·
Banned
888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
D-1st or SQ 1st ?
Bumping the limiter in D 1st pretty blows your launch,so SQ 2nd is proveing to be a better option.
Launching under 1500 rpm ? over 1500 ?
Better launch bite under 30 psi ?
Low 14's are pretty easy if you work at it abit.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Doesnt matter, if you put it in S2, it still will downshift to 1, then shift up to 2 and hold 2nd until you move it to S3. Its physically impossible to set it into 2nd gear and keep it from downshifting to 1st at a stop.

Other than that I havent tried any different rpms on launch or anything. Trying to get it a little more broken in before Im too hard on it.

·
Premium Member
1,530 Posts
I believe the 5.7 makes so much power, that out of the hole the 4WD guys will be much quicker because they can launch in 4WD w/o any of Toyota's "Star Safety System" kicking in.

It would however, be interesting to see a 2WD run down the 1/4 mile on slicks if someone can figure out how to fully turn off VSC & TRAC.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I believe the 5.7 makes so much power, that out of the hole the 4WD guys will be much quicker because they can launch in 4WD w/o any of Toyota's "Star Safety System" kicking in.

It would however, be interesting to see a 2WD run down the 1/4 mile on slicks if someone can figure out how to fully turn off VSC & TRAC.

Not sure about the 2WD models but for the 4WD trucks when the truck is at a complete stop push and hold the VSC button for 4 seconds. The "VSC off" light should come on. At this point you are set to go.........and go it does...

·
Premium Member
111 Posts
D-1st or SQ 1st ?
Bumping the limiter in D 1st pretty blows your launch,so SQ 2nd is proveing to be a better option.
Launching under 1500 rpm ? over 1500 ?
Better launch bite under 30 psi ?
Low 14's are pretty easy if you work at it abit.

If you launch in SQ 2nd your truck will start in first gear then when it decides to it will shift to second gear (just like Drive) the only difference is that it won't shift to third.

IMO the tranny is pretty smart so just launch in Drive.

when you say "Launching under 1500 rpm ? over 1500 ?" do you mean power braking or a neutral drop?

Lower tire pressure will definately grip better but increase rolling resistance towards the end of the run. I would start at 30psi and experiment from there. Keep the fronts higher if launching in 2wd to reduce rolling resistance.

I think launching in 4wd might be worth a try.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Not sure about the 2WD models but for the 4WD trucks when the truck is at a complete stop push and hold the VSC button for 4 seconds. The "VSC off" light should come on. At this point you are set to go.........and go it does...

Yeah, its the same in 2wds.

With all the nannies turned off, I think the 2wds will run some pretty good times in the right hands. Itll just be trial and error as to what rpm to stall to etc.

·
Registered
66 Posts

I don;t think so. The 2WD should be quicker.

·
Registered
309 Posts
if you really want to feel some power for you 4x4 tundras....put it in 4 high, and put it in s mode. and start in first gear from 0mph, and accelerate. keep it in first and dont red line it. but when its at 3500-4000 rpms, going about 25 mph. floor it, i can promise you, you wont be able to hold your head up.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Can you launch in 4wd high then shift out as you are goin?

·
Registered
159 Posts
you can, you have to let off the accelerator though other wise it wont shift out, but once it does you can keep gunning it

Do you mean comletly let off or just ease up some?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Ive found that when you hold the trac control off button, and disable the vsc, it also disables the LSD in the rear, meaning you will lay one tire fire. so far just hitting the button for the trac control works the best.

·
Registered
656 Posts
leave it in drive, use Tow/Haul, and turn the VSC off. That will adjust the shift points ~200rpms higher then normal

1 - 16 of 16 Posts