Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2003 Sequoia Limited (4WD)
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm looking to replace the steering rack and pinion on my 2003 Sequoia. I know everyone's gonna say "go oem" but it's out of my price range and I have other things to fix on the truck. Dealer here quoted me at $1300 (CAD) as there is no stock in Canada and it would have to be shipped internationally. I'm torn between an AAE new rack or getting a BBB Industries remanufactured rack. Is the quality of aftermarket racks considerably worse than the OEM? I just need some advice lol

·
Registered
3,576 Posts
Is your current rack totally rusted out or something else wrong with it? The more detials you give the more likely you are to get educated responses.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is your current rack totally rusted out or something else wrong with it? The more detials you give the more likely you are to get educated responses.
It leaks PSF and clunks constantly when turning and going over bumps. The steering also feels very loose. As for the rack itself, there isn’t necessarily rust anywhere but there is quite a bit of play as it is the original rack and now has 265,000 miles on it

·
Registered
213 Posts
It leaks PSF and clunks constantly when turning and going over bumps. The steering also feels very loose. As for the rack itself, there isn’t necessarily rust anywhere but there is quite a bit of play as it is the original rack and now has 265,000 miles on it
Is it leaking severely? How often do you have to put in PSF? I check mine during oil changes and top it off, if needed. I probably end up putting some in once or twice per year. You can replace the bushings that attach it to the subframe. They are pretty cheap. It was a bit tricky but, I did it in like an hour. I just drove it up on ramps and laid on my back under the truck. Made a huge difference in the steering feel. You also might check out the tie rods, as they could be a bit clunky at this age. All of these things should be significantly cheaper than a new steering rack.

Also, I recently replaced my lower ball joints and it made a significant difference in steering quality. Might be something else for you to look at. Again, way cheaper than a steering rack (if they're bad).

·
Registered
3,576 Posts
Everything he said. Start with the small cheap fixes you can do yourself first before you pull the trigger on the big ticket items. Here's another one. Try this stuff below. Unlike a lot of weird stuff you see on TV thats mostly snake oil this stuff works and Lucas is a name thats been around for years. And I used it on my wife's van so I can tell you from personal experience it works. And $15 for a bottle of that vs 100 times that for a rack, its a no brainer.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I bought one from Detroit Axel via Amazon Prime and am pleased with the purchase. As I recall it was less than $300 with tie rod ends. Also available without TR ends. Chap

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hi, I'm looking to replace the steering rack and pinion on my 2003 Sequoia. I know everyone's gonna say "go oem" but it's out of my price range and I have other things to fix on the truck. Dealer here quoted me at $1300 (CAD) as there is no stock in Canada and it would have to be shipped internationally. I'm torn between an AAE new rack or getting a BBB Industries remanufactured rack. Is the quality of aftermarket racks considerably worse than the OEM? I just need some advice lol
This is a major safety issue,how comfortable are you with losing control of your vehicle due to steering components failure? I'm in the same boat as you,I'm not compromising steering components at all. I do not want refurbished nor remanufactured, not even used for that matter.This is only my opinion, regarding steering I am OEM ONLY. Better warranties too. Just keep looking, I have been for the last week and still .all my stuff is worn so I'm looking for kits ,I'm not exactly sure that I need R&P yet, but if so ,I saw R&P w tie rods kit,that's the route I will choose then the other components are also in kits,I just have to keep my search on,and yeah it's a royal PITA ! Good luck to you

·
Registered
87 Posts
I bought a Cardone rack two years ago and it's been fine. I can't remember but I THINK it was a reman and I had to send my core back. There was no saving my original. It leaked so badly and eventually provided no power assist. It's possible to diy if you're handy. Be prepared to buy a new set of hoses if yours won't come out of the rack like mine.

I would never go oem. I'd have to get rid of the vehicle if oem parts/service were the only option.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Everything he said. Start with the small cheap fixes you can do yourself first before you pull the trigger on the big ticket items. Here's another one. Try this stuff below. Unlike a lot of weird stuff you see on TV thats mostly snake oil this stuff works and Lucas is a name thats been around for years. And I used it on my wife's van so I can tell you from personal experience it works. And $15 for a bottle of that vs 100 times that for a rack, its a no brainer.

I could try that, but I have heard that those clog up power steering pumps on some cars. If it worked for you it probably isn't that big of a deal.

·
Registered
3,576 Posts
I too am very leery of some of those "as seen on TV" types of snake oil BS that gets pedaled and I would never buy any of that crap either, but I can tell you this stuff works and no, it absolutely does not clog up the pump. It does come out thick as molasses so use a small amount at first if you want or wait for a warmer day but it works. You said it leaks now and you might end up replacing the rack, so what do you want to spend first $12 or $1200? Kinda seems like a no brainer doesnt it?

Reactions: Chappy R
1 - 12 of 12 Posts