Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok, so i in everyone's opinion, which is the best CAI? not looking for huge power gains, just want good sound and a quality product. But extra umph is always welcome:D

·
Registered
590 Posts
For sound and umph I say k&n, that's what I have for now instead of my old Volant. Another one I'd recommend for mpg gains is Volant, but it doesn't give you as much sound as k&n.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
If you take a look under the hood you'll see you already have a CAI. It sucks air from the fender, correct? Now remove both the charcoal filter above the air filter and then remove the air filter. (Other way 'round might be easier.) Replace air filter with aFE Dry Pro-S permanant filter. Its washable with warm soapy water and it will last a lifetime. You'll get better air flow through it too. You should get ~1.5 to 2 mpg and maybe ~2 HP. Certainly should hear some growl but not too much. Now if you want to go deep, remove all of the ridges at the inside of the upper air cover. You'll need an electric cutter / grinder and you'll want to do that outside somewhere cause its a helluva mess. Better sound and just maybe a tiny bit more power. Good luck my man.

I see you're from NJ? During your state inspection do they lift the air cover and see if the charcoal filter is still in place? You might want to keep the filter around and just Elmers glue it back when you go in for inspection again. Then remove it. Da*mn commies.

·
Premium Member
13,116 Posts
ok, so i in everyone's opinion, which is the best CAI? not looking for huge power gains, just want good sound and a quality product. But extra umph is always welcome:D
Over in the Polls subforum, there is a poll about "What is the best intake?"

The overwhelming winner is to leave it stock. Opinions vary, but most people will tell you that an aftermarket intake will cause you to loose some low-end torque.

IMHO, sound is about as useful as decals when it comes to performance, but if you insist on having a "nice sound', I'd invest in a good exhaust system rather than an intake.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yeaaa, i guess thats what im gonna do
I did just get the flowmaster American Thunder setup w the 50 series

although Jersey doesn't lift the hood, don't get me started on all the other "commy" rules we have here.

uggh, i gotta move

·
Registered
630 Posts

·
Registered
6,755 Posts
This one is the best one out there. Most cost effective.:nod:

This is NOT a CAI, rather it is a HAI!:nod:

I have heard a lot of good things about the Volant, it is a better choice than the K&N. I have never tried it but just by design it seems superior to the K&N. K&N just makes cool noises, doesn't filter well either.:nono:

·
Registered
53 Posts
K&N is junk. K&N uses the 5.7 Vortec as their platform so obviously it isn't made for the tundra.

Volant is cheap and plastic. Sucks.

aFe is the best, or Airaid.

If you want to see noticeable gains, great sound, and better mileage, and a company that stands behind their work with real dyno charts, go with aFe.

·
Registered
27 Posts
i know the Gen2 has the SABM and interesting my 02 doesnt have the charcoal filter on it. i did pull a 3" thick air filter out and replaced it with the K&N drop in filter and that seems like it a tad bit more responsive. The stock tube that goes from the fender to the air box is quite big and takes up all the room on that side. Has anyone tried a SABM on the Gen1?

·
Registered
218 Posts
What's a SABM?

·
1,768 Posts
K&N is junk. K&N uses the 5.7 Vortec as their platform so obviously it isn't made for the tundra.

Volant is cheap and plastic. Sucks.

aFe is the best, or Airaid.

If you want to see noticeable gains, great sound, and better mileage, and a company that stands behind their work with real dyno charts, go with aFe.
Really ??
Your opening argument/comment is to say that the Volant CAI sucks and it is ... plastic
Well no Sh*t. And the aFe CAI is made of the same ...plastic material as the Volant genious.

It's a high strength/ high density plastic molded/smooth inner plastic. It keeps the airflow cool and doesn't heat-soak too
Over 25 -35 degrees cooler than the OEM box and much cooler any other Hot Air intakes.
What the Volant CAI box does have over the aFe design is more of the plastic.
Unlike the aFe , the Volant CAI box design draws cold air from the fenderwell. I blocked the front opening so I wasn't drawing in any radiator heat/or other engine bay heat.
I can say by looking at the aFe for the 4.7L Tundra that it is going to be drawing in a lot more hot air than the Volant CAI
One could easily route tubing to the Volant CAI box to feed even more cooler ambient air instead of blocking it off.

The Volant CAI vastly improved my TRD supercharged 4.7L's ability to create higher levels of boost.
  • 3-4 lbs more at low - mid RPM's compared to the stock CAI.
  • 2 lbs more on the higher RPM's.
  • Cooler air eliminated the knock/detonation in 90-100 degree weather with 35 degree less temperatures at the MAF/Volant intake tubing.
  • The Volant CAI flows more than enough air for any N/A 4.7L motor.
  • My 4.7L engine made over 430 HP with the TRD supercharger.
Yeah.... and you can get better fuel mileage/more power from a simple dyno tune and leaning out Air/Fuel ratios.
More air/less fuel equals more power.

·
Registered
351 Posts
If you take a look under the hood you'll see you already have a CAI. It sucks air from the fender, correct? Now remove both the charcoal filter above the air filter and then remove the air filter. (Other way 'round might be easier.) Replace air filter with aFE Dry Pro-S permanant filter. Its washable with warm soapy water and it will last a lifetime. You'll get better air flow through it too. You should get ~1.5 to 2 mpg and maybe ~2 HP. Certainly should hear some growl but not too much. Now if you want to go deep, remove all of the ridges at the inside of the upper air cover. You'll need an electric cutter / grinder and you'll want to do that outside somewhere cause its a helluva mess. Better sound and just maybe a tiny bit more power. Good luck my man.
I kept my stock COI and took out the Charcoal filter and put the drop in K&N filter. I'm happy with the setup I have. I cleaned it after about 30k miles on it, works as good as new. K&N drop in filter at the time was only 25$. I heard good things about the AFE Drop in filters as well. Both are a good cheap way to get better air flow.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts