Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd like to keep my next truck purchase for the long haul, 20+ years if possible. I figure toyota is the best brand to go with and I need room for at least two kids, maybe three, so I at least need a DC, maybe a CM. So, my question is which configuration is most likely to go the long haul? V6, 4.7, 5.7? I'd like 4wd, but am wondering if that would be just one more thing to go wrong, would hurt gas mileage and may wear down other parts of the truck. I'd appreciate any input on options that may impact reliability/durability, even down to details like paint color. TIA.

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
20+ years, huh? That's a tough one. Every time I buy a new truck, I find more and more plastic parts and a lot more electronics. If you're concerned about "one more thing to go wrong" you're going to have a cow when you look at these new trucks.

For example, all the doors lock when you drive and you can set them to all unlock when you shift into park. At first, I thought this was a wonderful feature and I liked hearing the clunk of all the doors unlocking as I shift into park. Then I started to think about the fact that I'm by myself in this truck 95% of the time and each door is locking and unlocking at every trip. Eventually, one of the locks is going to fail and it will be a royal pain in the *** to fix. So, I turned this feature off. That's just one of seemingly dozens of dozens of electronic features.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, it may be wishful thinking but that's my hope, to retire it as a weekend hauler and it keep it around for a long time. Good point on the electronics, my Ranger is a 97 and the power locks are all messed up. I guess I amostly intersted in if follks think either the 5.7 or 4.7 will last longer and if 4wd affects durability?

·
Registered
210 Posts
I guess theoretically, the 4.7L would last longer under light to normal loads (i.e. no heavy hauling) because they have more historical data to build off of. I would honestly think that either engine would go the distance if properly maintained, since they are both designed by Toyota engineers. as far cab confiiguration. I love my CM. I have a 2 year old and a munchkin on the way and am 6'6" and my daughter has a ton of room in the back seat. I also do not invision a problem fitting a rear facing child seat, which is always a pain in the you know what trying to fit that in a vehicle. I swear they designed those damn things for minivans. But I could never bring myself to driving a minivan. I have hard enough time driving a sedan. Just not me, I guess. Again, I think vehicles give you what you put into them. If they are quality and are properly mainatined, I would think it would run 200,000 miles. Just my .02 because I am bored.

·
Registered
218 Posts
I'd go a 2wd 5.7 in the desert sand color...

2wd is just less parts to wear out
5.7 will be under less stress than the 4.7
and the desert sand color should be a stable color...

Don't get red....

·
Registered
8 Posts
I would go with the 5.7 either way. If you are towing anything or go off the beaten path, go with the 4wd and if not, 2wd should be find. I have always though that it is better to have 4wd and rarely use it the have 2wd and get stuck.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts