Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what are the best door speaker adapters for my 2010 tundra crewmax? i have 4 infinity shallow mount 6.5inch speakers that will be powered by a 4 channel alpine amp. where should i buy the adapters or who can make them for me?

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
Scosche and Metra make a plastic set, but you're probably better off building your own out of MDF. They are really cheap to make and very simple. A jig saw can do the job for you.

I do remember seeing someone selling them on eBay too.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks. i'm sure my local shop could make me some but if someone on the forum can do it i would be willing to buy them.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I didn't use MDF for my plate. I used one of those nylon cutting boards to build the adapter out of, worked like a champ, and it's waterproof ;).

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
thanks. i'm sure my local shop could make me some but if someone on the forum can do it i would be willing to buy them.
Just get the plastic ones as mentioned. PITA and messy making them, not worth the hassle IMO. You will spend more in time and material and unless you have the tools those too. Plus MDF dust sucks to be breathing in so wear a good quality respirator if you do it.

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
Ive been making them for quite a few people here. I use 3/4 MDF as a base plate and 1/2" as a mounting ring. They are painted flat black and pre-drilled for the door screws. If youre interested please PM me and we'll figure out the details.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I didn't use MDF for my plate. I used one of those nylon cutting boards to build the adapter out of, worked like a champ, and it's waterproof ;).
that was a pretty good idea :tu: seems like the best way ive head of to do so far.

·
Registered
51 Posts
i can attest to jumbo jet's craftmanship. great adapters. only thing you have to do with his is run down to a local home depot or lowe's and get some longer screws to mount the adapters. no biggie.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yep im going to buy a set from him. they look great.

·
Registered
195 Posts
i can attest to jumbo jet's craftmanship. great adapters. only thing you have to do with his is run down to a local home depot or lowe's and get some longer screws to mount the adapters. no biggie.
I worked around that, actually.

I used a spade bit to counter sink the screw, worked like a champ.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Ive been making them for quite a few people here. I use 3/4 MDF as a base plate and 1/2" as a mounting ring. They are painted flat black and pre-drilled for the door screws. If youre interested please PM me and we'll figure out the details.

What speakers can you use with the adapters? do you have any pictures?

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
What speakers can you use with the adapters? do you have any pictures?
You can use just about anything. I've made them for several different 6.5"s, and a few 6x9's as well. I havent had anyone complain about the window track not clearing yet, so I'm assuming the thicker base plate is working. I use 3/4" MDF as a base and 1/2" MDF as a mounting ring.

The first two pics are of my Rainbow Germaniums, the basket and magnets on these speakers are massive, and they fit with no problems.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Thanks, I would like to be able to run 6X9s front and back, could I do that with your addapters? Is there a speaker you know will fit, I am open, I would to spend around $75 or less per pair. I am just looking for a little better sound out of my stock HU.

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
I just made a set for my buddies 08 double cab which we are installing one day next week. He's using Rockford Fosgate 6x9 components up front run off a Rockford Fosgate 800.4, and we're just keeping the rear fill with some 6 1/2" Rockford coax's run off the head unit. I test fit his adapters with the 6x9 speakers mounted on my truck and they cleared the window without a problem.

Front doors can be 6 1/2", 5 1/4" or 6x9. Rear doors can be 6 1/2", 5 1/4" or 4". The last picture of the Boston Acoustic speaker is what the rear door brackets look like, the first two are front doors. I would love to help you when youre ready, just PM me when you get them, I'll just need the mounting diameter of the speaker.

Do some research on Crutchfield for a good set of budget speakers, then go online and shop around. I think you could find a nice coax set for that price without a problem.

·
Premium Member
670 Posts
I just made a set for my buddies 08 double cab which we are installing one day next week. He's using Rockford Fosgate 6x9 components up front run off a Rockford Fosgate 800.4, and we're just keeping the rear fill with some 6 1/2" Rockford coax's run off the head unit. I test fit his adapters with the 6x9 speakers mounted on my truck and they cleared the window without a problem.

Front doors can be 6 1/2", 5 1/4" or 6x9. Rear doors can be 6 1/2", 5 1/4" or 4". The last picture of the Boston Acoustic speaker is what the rear door brackets look like, the first two are front doors. I would love to help you when youre ready, just PM me when you get them, I'll just need the mounting diameter of the speaker.

Do some research on Crutchfield for a good set of budget speakers, then go online and shop around. I think you could find a nice coax set for that price without a problem.
JJ...will the BA SC65's fit both front & rear doors & do you make an adapter for those...thx...Brad

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
Thanks Tech.... you are too kind sir.

Yeah Brad, the Boston SC65's will fit just fine, I actually have them in my rear doors. If you want a set of brackets just PM me and I'll get ya all set.

Mark

·
Registered
63 Posts
JJ, Do you do anything to waterseal the brackets you make? I made a set a while back not thinking the water would be too bad but as many times as I have had to wash my BLACK (wont be buying again) tundra, the MDF has began to slightly swell. Shoot my an estimate of what you might charge for all four if you don't mind.

And to those that have simply made MDF brackets with no water resistant material, it might be a good idea to seal them in some way before they do begin to swell. MDF absorbs quite a bit of water and will warp fairly quickly. One easy fix would be to run some left over fiberglass resin across all sides of the bracket.

·
Registered
7,461 Posts
JJ, Do you do anything to waterseal the brackets you make? I made a set a while back not thinking the water would be too bad but as many times as I have had to wash my BLACK (wont be buying again) tundra, the MDF has began to slightly swell. Shoot my an estimate of what you might charge for all four if you don't mind.

And to those that have simply made MDF brackets with no water resistant material, it might be a good idea to seal them in some way before they do begin to swell. MDF absorbs quite a bit of water and will warp fairly quickly. One easy fix would be to run some left over fiberglass resin across all sides of the bracket.
or get a can of spray in bedliner coating....lots of speaker boxes are waterproofed that way.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts