Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well I used to be the type of person that would take the vehicle to the dealer with my eyes closed. BUt after some experiences I am being extremely careful with my truck. Just wanted to know what is the best oil out there that I should use in my 4.7L Tundra?

I have the 4.7L by the way and I am planning to change the oil for the first time on monday

tell me brand, amount/size and type pls, (be specific-I am a bit ignorant about this) so I can just go to autoparts and ask for it, then take it to the stealership

thank you veryyyy much, this site is great

·
Registered
184 Posts
Wish I could help .... I took mine to the dealer... I had no time with work and school

·
Registered
229 Posts
Not sure about your amount and viscosity (mine is a 5.7) but it is in the owners manual, and mine isn't handy at the moment. But I recommend M1, and yes take it to the dealer and they should install it. In my experience, bring only enough to fill, as the dealer will overfill it easy. If you let them do it with their oil, they might under fill it (they did that to me 2 quarts worth).

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
M1 5w/20 works just as well in the 4.7 as it does in the 5.7
Look forward to a 5 page pissing match over this for sure.

·
Registered
286 Posts
I'm Doing My Oil Change Tmrw I Have The 4.7 Engine I am Goin to use Shell Synthetic 5w30 does it say 5w30 on your cap ? It Should Take 7 Qts of Oil And I Always Use Toyota Oil Filters hope that helps

·
Registered
7,461 Posts
whatever my dealer puts in it is what i use...in my 4.7...

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
Use the 20w and the difference is very noticeable ;)

I'm Doing My Oil Change Tmrw I Have The 4.7 Engine I am Goin to use Shell Synthetic 5w30 does it say 5w30 on your cap ? It Should Take 7 Qts of Oil And I Always Use Toyota Oil Filters hope that helps

·
Registered
27 Posts
Just wanted to know what is the best oil out there that I should use in my 4.7L Tundra?

tell me brand, amount/size and type pls
There really really isn't a "best oil". As long as you're changing the oil every recommended interval then any brand should do. A lot of people love Mobil1, I use it myself, but who knows if it's the "best" and if it was the best 10 years ago, who knows if they still are, the industry changes. I would just put the oil you can afford that has the appropriate viscocity, type (dino or synthetic) and amount that your owners manual recommends. :tu:

·
Premium Member
39 Posts
I just changed my 4.7 today (1st time)..what a pain to drop that plate. It will be easier next time! Manual very clearly calls for 5w-30. If you cant get that you are allowed to sub 10w-30 only until the next change. I would not use 20wt in the 4.7.
Mechanics I know tell me that Mobil 1 is very good, but overkill unless you are going to drive the truck for a long, long time. My truck really works hard, so I'm using it.

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
Why wouldnt you use 20w in a 4.7 ?
There are a few around here that love the results since switching to 5/20w in their 4.7 :tu: If its good enough for the 5.7 its good enough for theirs.:cool:

Mechanic's opinions are like Statistics :rolleyes:

I just changed my 4.7 today (1st time)..what a pain to drop that plate. It will be easier next time! Manual very clearly calls for 5w-30. If you cant get that you are allowed to sub 10w-30 only until the next change. I would not use 20wt in the 4.7.
Mechanics I know tell me that Mobil 1 is very good, but overkill unless you are going to drive the truck for a long, long time. My truck really works hard, so I'm using it.

·
Registered
40 Posts
i have an 03 4.7 and i only go with royal purple honestly its the best oil i've ever used you wont be disappointed. its a bit pricey though close to 8 bucks a quart. i put 7 quarts always. c ya later

·
Registered
188 Posts
Use what the manual calls for - period. Why would you use an oil other than what the engineers at Toyota specified?

As far as what oil to use? Well, I've been spending a lot of time over at Bobistheoilguy.com fourms and lurking, and it seems like virtually all of today's SM rated oils are actually very good. If you're planning to stick to the manufacturer recommended oil change interval (OCI), then regular dino oil will be just fine. Regular Pennzoil in the yellow bottle is mentioned as a very good oil with a great additive package, and the reports in the used oil analysis (UOA) page bear that out. It's crazy cheap ($10/5qt. at Wal Mart) to boot.

Synthetic oils shine at extended OCI's, but to get the most benefit, you really need to have UOA's done on your oil if you plan to take it past the manufacturer recommended OCI.

Too many people go with the "I've done this and that against manufacturer recommendations, and everything's fine". Fow now. Sure - I could run a regular oil for 15,000 miles and claim that there are no problems, but the problems your causing by running worn out oil won't manifest themselves until a little while later and then it's too late.

[ETA] As far as using different viscosity - if your application calls for 5W-30, then you could use 0W-30 without ill effect. As long as the second number matches your application, then an oil with a lower first number is no problem.

·
Registered
181 Posts
How hard is it to change the oil in the 4.7l? I own one, and have only needed one change so far, and the first was free at the dealer; but I plan on doing my next one. Is the filter easy to access? And on average how much does it cost to change your own?

·
Registered
37 Posts
If you have the skid plate (TRD), its a bit of a pain getting that out of the way...It is a regular spin on filter and much easier than the 5.7 to change....However, mine was EXTREMELY tight...The dealer did my first change as well, I have no idea why they put in on so tight...I did manage to finally get it off.....I used a filter with the grip, I wont have that problem again.....

7 quarts puts the level just a hair over the full mark on the stick....
I used Syntec 5w-30....

·
Registered
269 Posts
Wow! This thread's gone 300 views without the proverbial "why wouldn't you get a 5.7?" barrage. I'm impressed! :D I go with full synthetic from the dealership and am happy with that...

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
still cant get a viable answer to
WHY WOULDN'T YOU USE 20w in a 4.7 !!

Conformist Syndrome or WHAT ?

·
Registered
188 Posts
still cant get a viable answer to
WHY WOULDN'T YOU USE 20w in a 4.7 !!

Conformist Syndrome or WHAT ?
Because Toyota said to use 5W-30? Post your credentials as to what makes you qualified to know more than the Toyota engineers, and I'll be glad to listen.

In the meantime, I'll be a conformist.

·
Premium Member
953 Posts
Because Toyota said to use 5W-30? Post your credentials as to what makes you qualified to know more than the Toyota engineers, and I'll be glad to listen.

In the meantime, I'll be a conformist.
Sounds good to me!:tu:

1 - 20 of 32 Posts