Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i still cant make up my mind about which exhaust i should get... ive been lookin at borla, flowmaster and magnaflow. i saw the post about that raven exhaust that was pretty nice as well. i dont want it too loud or throaty, im lookin for the more deeper mellow sound, and i wanna heart it when its idoling.
my first choice was borla, but the guy at the shop says im just paying for the name, which i dont mind, but he suggests the magnaflow if i like the borla.

which exhaust is best for the tundra???

·
Registered
48 Posts
I have a Borla dual on mine. I love it. :D I didn't notice any difference in low end torque, however I don't have any way to dyno to confirm either. I purchased my Borla from ADA Racing Innovations. Their web link is www.adaracinginnovations.com . I found it on eBay and after an extensive search I found they had the best price. I had to wait almost 2 months to get it though due to the fact that Borla will not make a production run for anything under 25 units. I haven't seen any other exhaust to compare but I can recommend the Borla. Just my 2 cents.
JD

·
Registered
391 Posts
My wife just put a spintech on my truck while I was on a trip for my Birthday. I then took it back and had a 3" rounded tip put on. I love it. It isn't too loud, almost no drone, and sounds awesome at idle. It sounds good when you punch it as well, but it does drop off to be not much louder than stock above 3000, 3500 or so, but that is okay becasue there is so much engine noise anyways. That is characteristic of the spintech mufflers.

The performance gains are impressive as well. V8Toilet dynoed about 4-5 HP more and 12 ft-lbs of torque. I believe it. The low end is much more responsive now and you can feel that torque. I paid about $230 for everything, and love it. Oh, and I just finished my first tank, and am getting about the same MPG....which is good because I have been punching it much more so I can hear myself. So if I drive normal, I will probably get a slight increase, but nothing that will pay for itself.

·
mandzach
1,263 Posts
lots of talk on this has been had but from what i understand the best (most power increase w/o drone) muffler is spintech and for a catback system Borla dual beats all on the dyno.....for what its worth.

·
Registered
859 Posts
Spintech and magnaflow are your best choices as far as gaining low end torque with a muffler replacement, as well as for the sound you describe. Deep and mellow? One of those 2 (And I still cant decide which one I want!)

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
you would want a stainless muffler and still utilize your stock piping. v8toilet brought good numbers to the table with spintech, TRD's aftermarket trucks they help engineer (including the IRONMAN's) use magnaflow setups. Dynomax and magnaflow were tested as being the top mufflers for the tundra in an independent online study. I will try to find the link. Keau

·
Registered
391 Posts
BlueRanger said:
Spintech and magnaflow are your best choices as far as gaining low end torque with a muffler replacement, as well as for the sound you describe. Deep and mellow? One of those 2 (And I still cant decide which one I want!)
Ranger, since I see you are in SLO (probably a Poly Student, I graduated in June /2003 myself) I would get a Spintech. Actually, I can do better. The spintech distributor for the Central Coast is Mom's Muffler in Paso Robles. Just down the street from target. Anyways, they let my wife hear four different versions of the spintech and then let her pick the best one. They are also a magnaflow dealer. So if you go when they aren't busy, I'll bet they would let you hear both the magnaflow and spintech, and then pick the one you want. Also, I live in Santa Maria and work in Grover beach, so if you want to here mine, send me a PM. I'd be happy to stomp it or take you for a ride.

·
Registered
704 Posts
chipperfan said:
i still cant make up my mind about which exhaust i should get... ive been lookin at borla, flowmaster and magnaflow. i saw the post about that raven exhaust that was pretty nice as well. i dont want it too loud or throaty, im lookin for the more deeper mellow sound, and i wanna heart it when its idoling.
my first choice was borla, but the guy at the shop says im just paying for the name, which i dont mind, but he suggests the magnaflow if i like the borla.

If you want deep and mellow but not loud, id say a 50 series Flowmaster or a Magnaflow, probably an 18".

Borla is a straight through muff like Magnaflow. Magnaflows will be cheaper.

·
Registered
769 Posts
I like my TRD Exhaust. It sounds great, although i have not noticed power gains or losses. Its a claimed 7 hp increase, but who can tell 7 hp by their butt-o-mometer?
I mainly like the TRD Engraved Tips that are on them. thats the main reason i went with TRD.
Maybe later i can change the muffler for spintech, or magnaflow or dynamax or somthing, and still keep the tips.

·
Registered
438 Posts
S-Man said:
I like my TRD Exhaust. It sounds great, although i have not noticed power gains or losses. Its a claimed 7 hp increase, but who can tell 7 hp by their butt-o-mometer?
I mainly like the TRD Engraved Tips that are on them. thats the main reason i went with TRD.
Maybe later i can change the muffler for spintech, or magnaflow or dynamax or somthing, and still keep the tips.
Ditto on the tips and butt-o-meter... I think anyone is fooling themselves looking for a huge gain in cat back exhaust only. The butt-o-meter can be very sensitive to one's perceptions of what the expected result is. If you think you will get a gain, your 'butt-o-meter' will most likely tell you it's there, or vice versa. A dyno is the only real way to tell, but how accurate is a dyno anyway? An error margin of just +/- 1% could show almost a 5hp (or tq) delta in two runs... (220 * 1% = 2.2; 220 + 2.2 = 222.2; 220 - 2.2 = 217.8; 222.2 - 217.8 = 4.4) I'm not a statistics major, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.... LOL... Then you have to look and see is it a peak gain or is it distributed throughout the useable power band, depending on your needs.... but I digress. All that being said, my butt-o-meter noticed big low end losses when I put on bigger tires due to the effective gear ratio change but the TRD system didn't register nearly as much. Maybe my butt-o-meter is just not as sensitive as others. :rolleyes:

I bought my TRD for sound, quality (100% stainless), workmanship and looks... all of which the TRD scores higher than any other in my book, although I have heard nothing but great things about the Borla system. TRD is certainly at the top when it comes to $$ so that's something else to keep in mind. For just sound, simply replacing the muffler seems to be the way to go, and the guys that have replaced just the stock muffler with the Spintech or Dynomax have nothing but raves about their choice (for less than 1/2 the cost of a full cat back system), especially on the butt-o-meter.... Can anyone chime in about Bassani?

Anyway, good luck & post when you get everything worked out (pics too!!!)! :tu:

·
Registered
4 Posts
best exhaust for Tundra

I have a 2000 4.7. Not much mention of Flowmasters.... My friends told me I would not have the powerfull sound that a Dodge or Chevy throws out. I split the exhaust, went up in pipe size, chose 40 series mufflers(the most aggresive they offer) and set off car alarms all over town and love it. Significant HP gain all around. I am waiting for a set of S&S headers and Y-pipe with perfomance cats/w sensors. If you like the sound of a Harley, you will love this. Ive just started my adventure creating a Rowdy Toy.

·
Registered
10 Posts
chipperfan said:

Hi i dont know if you have already decided on what muffler to get, but i was pretty much in the exact same boat as you were before i got my borla. I didnt want something too loud that it would bug me on the freeway but i watned to be able to hear my V8 in my 2003 tundra. I talked to a bunch of guys and they convinced me that the borla was best, has a little deeper sound than the magnaflow and is stainless steel compared to magnaflow, if that is true whatever. Either way end result is i love it. Gained a smidgen of HP when i accel onto freeways but i didnt expect much and got a stainless tip all for 200 out the door. If u want that deep sound so people know u have a v8 but it really wont bug you u will love the borla. I was scared to do it but am so happy i did. Let us all know what u decide

Don

·
Premium Member
1,343 Posts
CATiger said:
Ditto on the tips and butt-o-meter... I think anyone is fooling themselves looking for a huge gain in cat back exhaust only. The butt-o-meter can be very sensitive to one's perceptions of what the expected result is. If you think you will get a gain, your 'butt-o-meter' will most likely tell you it's there, or vice versa. A dyno is the only real way to tell, but how accurate is a dyno anyway? An error margin of just +/- 1% could show almost a 5hp (or tq) delta in two runs... (220 * 1% = 2.2; 220 + 2.2 = 222.2; 220 - 2.2 = 217.8; 222.2 - 217.8 = 4.4) I'm not a statistics major, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.... LOL... Then you have to look and see is it a peak gain or is it distributed throughout the useable power band, depending on your needs.... but I digress. All that being said, my butt-o-meter noticed big low end losses when I put on bigger tires due to the effective gear ratio change but the TRD system didn't register nearly as much. Maybe my butt-o-meter is just not as sensitive as others. :rolleyes:

I bought my TRD for sound, quality (100% stainless), workmanship and looks... all of which the TRD scores higher than any other in my book, although I have heard nothing but great things about the Borla system. TRD is certainly at the top when it comes to $$ so that's something else to keep in mind. For just sound, simply replacing the muffler seems to be the way to go, and the guys that have replaced just the stock muffler with the Spintech or Dynomax have nothing but raves about their choice (for less than 1/2 the cost of a full cat back system), especially on the butt-o-meter.... Can anyone chime in about Bassani?

Anyway, good luck & post when you get everything worked out (pics too!!!)! :tu:
I have had my single out borla system on my 2000 tundra and now on my 2001 since late 2000. Not a spot of rust even after salt-a-thon chicago winters. I will say that the borla will rumble, just like I like it. :devil:

·
Premium Member
1,343 Posts
BlueRanger said:
stock tundra exhuast is all stainless....
yep,

but not nearly the material borla uses. 100% aircraft quality T-304. Hence why my toyota portion of my exhaust is rusted and the borla is not.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Bullet mufflers, nice tone but quiet

I went to muffler shop last summer when I bought my tundra and the guy talked me out of more expensive mufflers and into a Bullet. The day after when I got under there and looked I realized why, Bullet is straight in straight out, he didn't have to do any pipe work. I've regreted it everyday since, my truck sounds really really nice, super clean tone, but pretty quiet. I'm throwing a flowmaster on soon.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have been looking around for just a straight up muffler replacement for my 03 tundra. I’m looking to get a deep aggressive sound but still trying to avoid buy a compleat system. Does anyone have any suggestions on what I should be looking at?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts