Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the best?
I need to change my rear diff oil and can't decide which one to get. I use nothing but Valvoline motor oil in the engine and was looking at Valvoline and Royal Purple in the gear oil.
Is that the better options or should I be looking at something else?

I live in Oklahoma so the summers are very hot and the winters can get pretty cold at times.
Also should I get synthetic or conventional?

My Tundra is an '02 4x4 V8 with 107,000 miles on it.

Thanks...

·
7,925 Posts
What is the best?
I need to change my rear diff oil and can't decide which one to get. I use nothing but Valvoline motor oil in the engine and was looking at Valvoline and Royal Purple in the gear oil.
Is that the better options or should I be looking at something else?

I live in Oklahoma so the summers are very hot and the winters can get pretty cold at times.
Also should I get synthetic or conventional?

My Tundra is an '02 4x4 V8 with 107,000 miles on it.

Thanks...
Here is a thread that may help you. http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forums/1gen-tundra/159610-front-differential-fill-and-drain/ Speaking from personal experience I highly HIGHLY recommend doing the rear differential breather modification.

My rear differential not only did not have the breather cap but it did not have anything there at all - just an open hole. The gear oil that came out of there looked like mud. If your fluids have not been changed in awhile then I would recommend running plain old Valvoline gear oil for around 10,000 miles to kind of clean things out and then switch over to the good stuff. I am currently running Royal Purple in my differentials but I read that Mobile One is excellent. I thought about running Amsoil but I think as long as I change the fluids according to specs I should be alright.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Another question:

Which grade of gear oil?
In my owners manual it says Front SAE 75w-90 which is easy enough.
But in the rear it states SAE 90, SAE 80W or 08W-90.
Which grade in the rear should I use?

·
Premium Member
26 Posts
I use Royal Purple in Engine, Trans, and rear end! I like driveing my 2001 better than my friends 2010.
I have to look at the R.P.M gage to see if it is still running when sitting at a red light.

·
Registered
819 Posts
I have used regular Valvoline and have added friction modifier in the rear.

I have also used Castrol with friction modifier in the rear.

I have used Mobil 1 LS with no friction modifier as it is already in it.

In my 2001 Corvette, I have used Royal Purple as it has the modifier in it and last change I used Mobil1LS, no problems at all.

·
Premium Member
765 Posts
I did all my diffs + t case.
Front diff: Lucas 80w-90 gear oil
Transfer case: Valvoline Synthetic Blend 80W-90 (blue bottle)
Rear differential: Valvoline Synthetic Blend 80W-90 (blue bottle)

·
Registered
80 Posts
I use Amsoil top to bottum in my truck. They are the first manufactures of synthetic oils and I think they have the most experince in it. Use the oil weight your book says to use. Amsoil started the whole extended oil change interval trend and mobile one has just now started catching on within the last few years.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts