Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. I have a 2005 DC 4x4 TRD. I currently have 265/75/16 BFG ATs without a lift that are in need of replacing. My goal is to get a set of 285/75/16 BFG MTs as my next tire. Now the question I have is what type/brand of lift will best suit my needs keeping me under $500 bucks.
Thanks for the help.

·
Premium Member
152 Posts
keep looking out for a nice used set of coilovers....its the only wau to go!!! dont bother with the spacer lift... you should be able to find a good set of camburg or donahoe's for as low as $400 sometimes but usually u find them for 500 - 550....good luck

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
keep looking out for a nice used set of coilovers....its the only wau to go!!! dont bother with the spacer lift... you should be able to find a good set of camburg or donahoe's for as low as $400 sometimes but usually u find them for 500 - 550....good luck
maybe at that price for some Saw's but good luck find donahoes at that price range. more like 700 to 900 used

·
Registered
120 Posts
I've got the Readylift setup on mine, and it has given me no problems at all. Same ride quality, and it is a little different than regular spacer lifts. It seems to be better IMO. I can't say I'm glad I got this setup over coilovers, but they just didn't fit my budget at the time. Although, I noticed that yours is a 4wd, so I'm pretty sure you'll at least want to get a diff drop spacer no matter what route you take.

·
Registered
739 Posts
Would a 3" body lift clear those 285's on stock wheels?

Chris
Dude, seriously save your money and do it right the first time. It will pay out waaay more in the end. And please dont use a body lift, you will regret it.

Keep watching the for sale ads. Used coilovers and UCA are very common.

·
Registered
271 Posts
There's nothing wrong with a body lift. I've had them before and love them. On the tundra's, it doesn't look bad, especially if you have running boards. You can't see much of the frame, and the rear hitch looks normal even after the lift. Plus, messing with the suspension is just more work, an alignment is needed, probably a diff drop to maintain CV angles, etc, etc, so for me I like the way the truck drives as it is, very plush. I'm adding some swaybars to try to keep it more level in the turns, but other than that, it rides great.

Chris

·
Registered
9 Posts
Sicilngsxr, do you like the readylift spacers? Are they the kind that just go on top of the strut? Do you think 305's would clear with that?

·
Registered
271 Posts
I don't understand why everyone says a body lift is so bad. I used to wheel the piss out of 1997 4runner with a 3" Roger Brown body lift with no trouble at all.

Chris

·
Registered
9 Posts
I don't see the problem with them either. I mean its a cheap way to get higher than you already are. A 3 inch body lift may leave gaps, and that may be why people don't like them. You can buy gap guards though to cover the gaps and if they don't make them for the tundra, then they aren't hard to custom make and rivet in. It is very easy.

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
I don't see the problem with them either. I mean its a cheap way to get higher than you already are. A 3 inch body lift may leave gaps, and that may be why people don't like them. You can buy gap guards though to cover the gaps and if they don't make them for the tundra, then they aren't hard to custom make and rivet in. It is very easy.
i dont see the problems with them either, however i prefer 1" or 2" body lifts.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Sicilngsxr, do you like the readylift spacers? Are they the kind that just go on top of the strut? Do you think 305's would clear with that?
I do like the readylift spacers for what they are: A cheaper alternative to Coilovers. I have had zero problems with them. They are the type to go on top of the strut, so noticable difference in ride quality.

I don't think however that 305's will fit. My rims have ideal backspacing, and with the 285's i still had to trim a little bit on the bottom front of each plastic fender flare so that they didn't rub. If you run 305's, you will most likely need to trim alot more than just the half inch or so that I did.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts