Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a new 2007 and I want to install my ham radio. I need to be careful to stay away from the computer and the main wiring bundle. Anyone got a favorite grommet to go through? Other thought I had was to come through the back of the cab and underneath the truck to the battery.

·
Registered
69 Posts
All I know is the 4x4 ecu is behind the glovebox, me know nuttingg

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
I just moved my 2M/70CM radio from my old truck into my 07 Tacoma Double Cab last weekend. I know you were looking to stay away from the other wiring harnesses, but I chose to run mine through the firewall where the main harness grommet is near the foot rest behind the driver's kick panel. That made it easy to connect to the radio which is under the driver's seat and to the battery in the engine compartment.

The grommet has a big section in the center for the main cable bundle, and a small hole at the top where the hood release cable runs. On my truck, there was a rubber tube with the end sealed on the bottom side directly opposite the hood release. I'm not sure what the tube was intended for--maybe the parking brake cable on the automatics? (My truck is a 6-speed manual.) I snipped the end off the tube and passed two 12-guage wires through there and they come out just behind the battery on the firewall. The tube kept everything sealed nicely from the elements and it holds the power leads away from the main harness (still only 0.5" or so though).

My antenna cable is routed under the seat and up the center pillar to the grommet where the electric lock/window feeds through to the rear driver's side door. It then heads up the door to a motorized antenna mount attached to the top edge of the door.

I haven't had any issues with the set up so far.

Hope it helps...

Dave
AB9BL

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Good information. Thank you. I am putting my antenna on the back of the bed using an L bracket mounted to the metal side beam there. I ran the cable down through the little cargo box and through the hole in the bottom of that. That way I solve two issues. One, I didn't have to drill a new hole there. Two, I have a place to store the antenna if for some reason I want to take it off the mount. I ran it through the fender and through a grommet on the drivers side about 12 inches up on the drivers side. I was able to to take that grommet and drill a just big enough hole to put the coax through. I tie wrapped it up after covering the wire with corregated protector. It should last a very long time. I sealed up the grommetwith some silicone and that part is good to go. I plan on mounting the radio behind the seat using the mounting bracket that came with it (Yaesu FT-7800). I'll bring the power through the drivers wire runway under the door sill. I'm going to (temporarily) use the separation capability to put the head just in front of the shift console. Long term I'm going to have it mounted in the dash when I have the stereo professionally replaced. That just uses 6 wire ribbon cable with RJ-25's. Easy to run under carpet or where ever. That's the plan at least.

I did find this:

Toyota Motor Sales USA, Inc
Customer Assistance Center
19001 South Western Ave
PO Box 1991
Torrance, CA 90509-2991
800-331-4331

Toyota says that the ECMs in all modern vehicles are easily damaged by
electromagnetic radiation from high-power radio transmitters. The resultant
problems could affect the operation of vital vehicle functions. The proper
and safe operation of the vehicle could be compromised if any of the
following situations, and possibly others exist: the transceiver is not type
accepted; the power or antenna cables radiate RF current; the routing of the
power or antenna cables results in inductive or capacitive coupling;
transmitter, feed line and/or antenna inefficiencies results in an
unacceptable level of RF radiation exposure to the ECMs; the SWR is
unacceptably high or the antenna ground plane is inadequate.

Toyota has prepared an installation guideline entitled "Two-Way Radios In
Toyota Vehicles." In addition to the potential problems mentioned above, the
guideline states that the maximum output power of the transmitter must be
100-W or less; all installations and operating instructions provided by
Toyota and the transmitter manufacturer must be followed; the antenna must be
installed as far away as possible from all ECMs or other on-board sensors:
the antenna cabling must be routed no closer than 20 cm (7 7/8 inches) from
the ECM or sensors; all antenna and power cabling must not be routed
alongside or near the vehicle's wiring harness, preferably crossing vehicle
wiring at right angles; the antenna should be adjusted to obtain the lowest
possible standing-wave ratio. All of this notwithstanding, they did emphasize
that any damage caused by higher-power mobile radio is specifically excluded
from warranty coverage.

Owner's manuals from 1993 and earlier published a 10-W power limitation.
This in being deleted from 1994 manuals and the limitations in the guideline
take precedent over those few 1994 manuals that have not been updated.

Customers or dealers having a problem can contact the Customer Assistance
Center to obtain help or a copy of the installation guidelines.

My radio is only 50w, and I never anticipate more than 100w so I should be OK if I stay away from the main wiring harness.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Id like to see some of the radio installs, so if you guys have pics, please post them on up!

I've been considering either a ham radio or cb. I think generally there are more cb users, but the hams have more of a range which would be useful in very remote places. Any suggestions or comments?

I definitely want the radio to be very discreet, to avoid attention from thieves and also to keep the interior from looking clustered up.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I ended up taking the power through the extra nipple on the driver side wire harness. I don't think that side is the computer, though. Probably gauge package and sensors. I think the engine computer is on the passenger side. More complicated harness and all the electronics running off the engine goes that way. So I have my antenna in (works great). I have my power run and the lines dressed in corrugated tubing. Looks clean. Mount for the radio is bolted on the cab frame behind the seat. Just need to put the radio in, and run my homemade separation kit for my Yaesu FT-7800. Waiting for the back mounting bracket from Yaesu and another guy is making the extender cable for me. When I get done I'll post some pics.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts