Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am about to order a 2014 limited double cab but want the best ride quality as it will never see a dirt road nevermind off-road :cry3d:. It will be a daily driver with a lot of hiway driving, carrying motorcycles (road race bikes & gear) and some towing of a large boat.

I have been told that the Off Road package is noticably stiffer than the standard suspension. However, the Limited version with 20" wheels and lower profile tires may also have a slightly degraded ride quality compared to the standard non-TRD version with 18" wheels and higher profile tires.

I will get the Limited version but probably not with the Off-Road package and see if I can replace or swap the 20" wheels & tires with the 18" if it will improve ride quality. The Limited only comes with the 18" wheels with the Off-Road package.

Questions:
Has anyone done a back-to-back comparison of ride quality (paved road, not off road) with a 2014 Limited in Standard cfg and with the Off-Road package?

Do they also use different/stiffer springs on the Off-Road package or is it only the Bilstein shocks?

Anyone have any recommendations on aftermarket (shocks, tires, etc) that can improve wide quality.

Thanks.

Currently driving 2002 Limited Tundra since new with 176,000 mi.

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
If you are not going to be doing any off-roading, do not get the TRD package. The Bilstein shocks that come with that package does make the ride noticably stiffer, and less comfortable on road than the standard shocks that come with the Limited. At least from my experience, and I have had both. The difference between the 20's and the 18's running street tires is minimal as far as the ride goes. And I have had both on previous Tundra's. I think that you will be fine with the Limited, no TRD, and the 20's that come with it. You can always find a buyer for the Limited wheels and tires, and get some 18's for it if you feel the need.

These opinions are on the 2007-2013 Tundra's. I don't think that you will find the suspension has changed very much on the 2014's. I have driven a couple, and the ride seemed pretty much the same as my 2013, on the road anyway. They did change the feel of the steering though.

·
Registered
134 Posts
The long bed rides noticeably better, and works well when putting bikes in the back, but I don't think you can get it in a limited.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts