Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have 2004 4wd SR5 that I need to replace the shocks on at minimum. It has 176K on it and the still on original shocks F & R (front bushings are gone). I have new 265/70R17 on 17x9 MK6 wheels on it now with -12mm offset. It rubs the driver side fender when turned and backing up. I've also gotten it to rub once in the same spot in a curve at about 40MPH. I likely may remove those fenders anyway, but I figured I would wait until I do the suspension work to see if it's needed.
So I'm wanting to get the front up a tad to help with clearance also. Currently the front is sitting 1" lower than the rear on both sides. I'm debating between trying to just raise the front 3/4-1" or lift the whole thing, but I really don't want to go much over 2 inches if lifting the both ends. I do not want the front to be higher than the rear either, so I want to end at level or raised with the same current rake. I live in western NC and drive a lot of curvy roads. So a stiffer setup to help with body roll in curves would be welcome, but I'd also like it to ride as decent as possible on washboared gravel roads too. It's my daily driver and will not see any off road use (snow will likely be the only time the 4wd is used). I'm looking at a few options and want to see if you guys have an opinion on which would have the best ride.

A- Bilstein 5100 Front on second notch with stock springs and 4600 rear shocks.
B- Bilstein 5100 front with OME 2884 springs on bottom setting and 4600 rear shocks.
C- OME Kit with either 2884 or 2885 front springs, 2862 rear springs, and OME shocks.
D- Full Dobinsons 1.75" Lift kit

I will be purchasing from Josh at 1st GenOffRoad and will be asking his thoughts on all of these as well.

Any of you guys have experience with more than one of these to compare?

Here's a pic of it's current rake/height-

·
Registered
172 Posts
I reached out to 1st gen offroad for advice on purchasing one of their kits back in early July and never heard back. Your mileage may vary, though. I'm not looking at one of the higher dollar kits, so that could be a part of it. Since you're in Western NC you could look up Jim Smola on instagram. I believe he's somewhere in upstate SC. You might find some good information there.

There are some folks who frequent this forum with lifts, etc. but I think a lot of the people are driving stock trucks. It will probably take a little while to get a response, if you get anything substantive at all. The search forum certainly sucks but, you might find some information digging through older threads, too.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've actually been chatting with 1st Gen and have decided on something. My timeline was moved up over the three days this post sat waiting to be approved. Found out that my PS Rack has to be replaced, which means they will be doing an alignment after that procedure. After discussing options, I ordered the EiBach Pro Truck struts from 1st Gen and will be having him assemble them on the 2nd notch. That should give me .8-1.0" lift on the front and a bit stiffer spring rate upfront. Will be just replacing the shocks on the rear with Bilstein 4600s.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I've actually been chatting with 1st Gen and have decided on something. My timeline was moved up over the three days this post sat waiting to be approved. Found out that my PS Rack has to be replaced, which means they will be doing an alignment after that procedure. After discussing options, I ordered the EiBach Pro Truck struts from 1st Gen and will be having him assemble them on the 2nd notch. That should give me .8-1.0" lift on the front and a bit stiffer spring rate upfront. Will be just replacing the shocks on the rear with Bilstein 4600s.
That's awesome. Please report back with the results. I am definitely interested to see how it turns out.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Installed the Eibach Struts on this past Saturday. I was slightly concerned when I got it all buttoned up as I had almost 3 inches of front lift, but I knew it would settle a little after the first time being driven. Drove it for about 20 minutes and returned home. It was sitting right at 2-2 1/4" higher than stock with the shot factory struts and crumbled shock bushings. It's currently sitting exactly 1" higher in the front than the rear. Josh at 1St Gen told me to give it 3-4 weeks to fully settle before deciding whether to lift the rear any. So we'll see where it is sitting around the 3rd weekend in October, then decide if I'm going with just a new pair of 4600s or lift setup.

Here's a few pics of the bits and how it currently sits-

1 - 7 of 7 Posts