Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello again. I just recently realized the PO of my ‘00 converted over to the larger 13WL brakes from later years. I’m wanting to purchase new rotors and pads for the obvious reasons, but would also like to cut down on brake dust as well as see if remedies a minor shimmy at 45-50mph. I’m looking to get ceramic pads but do not know which manufacturer most fancy over others. This applies to new rotors also. I don’t mind spending an extra buck for cross drilled or slotted as long as they’re not “amazon special race” junk.
Furthermore, would cross drilled or slotted even be recommended for a truck? I want rotors that are true as you can get as I mentioned I’m chasing that little shimmy around 45-50mph. Any insight is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello again. I just recently realized the PO of my ‘00 converted over to the larger 13WL brakes from later years. I’m wanting to purchase new rotors and pads for the obvious reasons, but would also like to cut down on brake dust as well as see if remedies a minor shimmy at 45-50mph. I’m looking to get ceramic pads but do not know which manufacturer most fancy over others. This applies to new rotors also. I don’t mind spending an extra buck for cross drilled or slotted as long as they’re not “amazon special race” junk.
Furthermore, would cross drilled or slotted even be recommended for a truck? I want rotors that are true as you can get as I mentioned I’m chasing that little shimmy around 45-50mph. Any insight is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was able to find these. Has 9 reviews from people with Sequoias and Tundra’s saying it is A HUGE upgrade from OE pads/rotors. Thinking of pulling the trigger on these sooner than later..

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Went ahead with solid rotor EBCs with they’re good pads.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Went ahead with solid rotor EBCs with they’re good pads. View attachment 151944
I put ebc slotted and dimpled on my tundra with green pads. Brake feel was improved and the shimmy hasn’t come back. I’m still using the factory 01 calipers too (13we?) the green pads I used dusted pretty bad and didn’t last too long but I have a very responsive pedal feel

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
47 Posts
I recently replaced mine with Hawk pads and solid rotors (can’t remember the brand) because I had a terrible shimmy when braking from speed. The shimmy is gone. The brakes bite nicely but the pedal feel is squishy and I feel like I’m getting a lot of pedal travel for the amount of bite that I get. I suspect that is not related to brake pads but rather a hydraulic issue. Either way, I’d be interested to hear how you like those pads. I do a good bit of towing and hauling with my truck so good brakes are important.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Recommend PowerStop towing brakes with ceramic pads.

·
Registered
936 Posts
I recently replaced mine with Hawk pads and solid rotors (can’t remember the brand) because I had a terrible shimmy when braking from speed. The shimmy is gone. The brakes bite nicely but the pedal feel is squishy and I feel like I’m getting a lot of pedal travel for the amount of bite that I get. I suspect that is not related to brake pads but rather a hydraulic issue. Either way, I’d be interested to hear how you like those pads. I do a good bit of towing and hauling with my truck so good brakes are important.

I had the same problem as many others with a soft brake pedal until I changed ALL 6 brake hoses on my Tundra. Those rubber hoses only have to give just a little bit to produce a mushy brake pedal. By putting on Stainless Steel brake hoses my pedal is super firm now. You can purchase them at RockAuto.com

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Remember when replacing the rotors to wire brush the mounting surface of the hub to a clean surface. Keeping your rear brake adjusted correctly will also help prevent overloading the fronts. Rear shoes are only adjusted with the application of the parking brake. I recommend using it every time your park but once a week will keep the star adjusters set correctly

·
Registered
47 Posts
I had the same problem as many others with a soft brake pedal until I changed ALL 6 brake hoses on my Tundra. Those rubber hoses only have to give just a little bit to produce a mushy brake pedal. By putting on Stainless Steel brake hoses my pedal is super firm now. You can purchase them at RockAuto.com
I will need to try this. Every other car/truck in our fleet has at least acceptably firm brake feel except for the Tundra.

Even the Prius.

·
Registered
936 Posts
I will need to try this. Every other car/truck in our fleet has at least acceptably firm brake feel except for the Tundra.

Even the Prius.

You might have to do some searching for those SS flexible brake hoses as the last time I looked RockAuto no longer listed them. Try Amazon and Ebay. It was AMAZING how super firm my brake pedal is now. Also front pads seam to wear fast and with the double pistons on the front they use up a lot of brake fluid so you might want to change to new pads to get the pedal up high.

·
Registered
47 Posts
You might have to do some searching for those SS flexible brake hoses as the last time I looked RockAuto no longer listed them. Try Amazon and Ebay. It was AMAZING how super firm my brake pedal is now. Also front pads seam to wear fast and with the double pistons on the front they use up a lot of brake fluid so you might want to change to new pads to get the pedal up high.
Looks like they still have them. I’ve got a RockAuto order coming up soon for several of our family fleet of vehicles so I will most likely add these in then.

·
Registered
936 Posts
Looks like they still have them. I’ve got a RockAuto order coming up soon for several of our family fleet of vehicles so I will most likely add these in then.

WAIT..............I think I have a 5% off coupon code.........let me look.

·
Registered
936 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thank you! @Don Tibbetts I wonder why the stainless hoses help that much better. Are they larger diameter perhaps? Dissipate the heat better?
The EBCs are in. I will be tossing them on this weekend. The finish looks to be of high quality. Thankyou @5 Speed for that tip, I probably wouldn’t even of thought to do that. Wire brushing that surface surely will help with tracking down my shimmy. Is there any other recommendations? Of course I’m going to bleed the lines, but depending on how the fluid looks, I may just replace it. It takes DOT 4 right? What brand would be good? Redline has always had awesome fluid(s).

·
Registered
97 Posts
Have you looked on Rock Auto? I bought the big brake upgrade last year, brand new Raybestos calipers, new cross drilled slotted rotors, I think by Centric, Akebono pads and steel lines. I go with companies that I'm familiar with so I stay away from Power Stop. Of course, as good as those brakes were, no good on black ice, so up for sale, used of course, probably 200 miles on them. Whatever you choose, the bigger brakes are worth it on the first gen.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I think the reasoning behind SS lines giving a firmer feel is based on the amount of flex in the wall of the hose itself. Perhaps the SS overbraid limits the amount of flex in the wall of the hose. Not sure I'm convinced of that being true but there is a lot of anecdotal support for it. I'm not a hydraulics expert but we are specing some for an application right now at work and the proof/burst pressure of the line seems to be completely dictated by the rubber hose itself. However, we're not really concerned with sidewall flex or "feel" so...

·
Registered
97 Posts
It's a slight improvement do to less flex, and they wont rot down the line. Not much more money, cheap improvement.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts