Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any recommendations for the best snow tires for a 1998 4wd 4Runner LTD? I currently have 265/70/R16's and live on a gravel road in snow country. Would A/T tires be a good solution?

·
Premium Member
15 Posts
The new BFG long Trail touring go 275-65-17...They are very nice all around time. At 1st I did NOT like the new tred pattern but it dose handle alot better than the old set of BFG Long Trails

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What size tires do you have ob your SR5? I have 265/70/R16's and the Nokian's don't come in that size. I like your wiener dog avatar BTW. I have two myself.

·
Premium Member
754 Posts
If you are looking for just snow tires then Bridgestones are a soild choice. Otherwise the Michelin LTX A/T2s are a good choice along with the Bridgestone Revos.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've got the Michelin LTX's on my Land Cruiser, and they are fabulous. I got over 85000 miles out of my first pair, and they're good on the snow as well. I am thinking about something more aggressive for my new 4runner, but I'm not sure yet.

I also have male and female Dachshunds. Watch the jumping and step climbing, they both have had back surgery from jumping and climbing.:(

·
Registered
24 Posts
Nokian Vatiiva A/T is what you should checkout. They are on my wifes 07 T4R 275/75/17 with a 3" lift. They work well off road, gravel roads,beach,mud and snow and ice. We have over 35k on them, still 90% tread left, low noise. Works better than Blizzaks had them on are 02 T4R and you can leave them on year round.They are a little pricey but well worth it..

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Nokian Vatiiva A/T is what you should checkout. They are on my wifes 07 T4R 275/75/17 with a 3" lift. They work well off road, gravel roads,beach,mud and snow and ice. We have over 35k on them, still 90% tread left, low noise. Works better than Blizzaks had them on are 02 T4R and you can leave them on year round.They are a little pricey but well worth it..
Man, I could enter a monster truck tournament with those. I bet they'd keep me rolling through the drifts though. :bounce:

·
Premium Member
311 Posts
I have the Vatiivas on my Tundra, not as good in the snow or as quiet as the WR but still pretty good, more agressive tread. Going to get another set put on tomorrow, the ones I have on now have 60K on them.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Ok, I did a ton of research on winter tires and if you're looking for a pure winter tire here are the top ones depending on your location and type of winter.

If you live in the mountains, have lots of deep snow but limited ice go with Nokian Haki studded. Best bit in the deep stuff but not so good on the ice (I know, studded should be better, does not make sence to me but that is the concensus on hundreds of reviews)

If you live in a southern/coastal area where you have a mix of snow, a bit of ice but dry/clean roads and weather that can go up to around freezing the best bet is Michilen X ice. Good on deep stuff and ice but also good dry/warm control

If you live in the frozen north, get some snow but have to drive on hardpack snow or ice all winter the Blizzaks are the best. I live in Northern Alberta where snow is limited but our roads are 6" compacted snow/ice for 6 months of the year.

I've had Blizzaks on my 4Runner for 3 years and just bought another set for my Tundra. However, a warning here, their stability on warm and dry roads is scary, the best way to describe it is you're driving on half inflated tires, the super soft compound that makes them so great on cold ice flexes ALOT when warm.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Good info. I live in northern Iowa, temps down in the 0 to -10's and a lot of snow. The toughest driving is after a snow when it's 6-12" deep on a gravel road. After the plows get through, it's packed snow and ice and not too bad. I've thought about studs and would have thought they would be the best on a packed snow or icy road. It also seems to me it's as important to have a high ground clearance as anything else when dealing with deep snow. My 4Rnner has more clearance than my Land Cruiser surprisingly. Does increased weight help or hurt in these conditions? I canm load sand tubes in the trucks if that would help.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts