Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to buy new tires, have decided on rather than getting stuck 265/70R16 to switch up with 275/70R16, there's not much difference in size just .4 inches taller and like .2 to .4 inches wider, plan on running them at 28psi. But cant figure best tires, been seriously checking out Yokohama Geolandars, thought about the HTs G056 but with way weather has been in Kentucky so far this fall they're predicting a seriously hardcore winter so am thinking I should go with ATs G015 but recently Kumho Crugen HT51 have caught my eye and supposedly they rate as good as all around all season all terrain G015, someone please help me out, the Firestone Destination LEs that are currently on my ride are getting bit ball in outside edges and they have lots of noticeable cracks all over them

·
Registered
17 Posts
Looking to buy new tires, have decided on rather than getting stuck 265/70R16 to switch up with 275/70R16, there's not much difference in size just .4 inches taller and like .2 to .4 inches wider, plan on running them at 28psi. But cant figure best tires, been seriously checking out Yokohama Geolandars, thought about the HTs G056 but with way weather has been in Kentucky so far this fall they're predicting a seriously hardcore winter so am thinking I should go with ATs G015 but recently Kumho Crugen HT51 have caught my eye and supposedly they rate as good as all around all season all terrain G015, someone please help me out, the Firestone Destination LEs that are currently on my ride are getting bit ball in outside edges and they have lots of noticeable cracks all over them
I love my Michelin Defenders M/S 265 70 R17 tires. Running very smoothly.

Attachments

·
Registered
17 Posts
I love my Michelin Defenders M/S 265 70 R17 tires. Running very smoothly.

I am in complete agreement! I am on my third set of E rated. The first two I ran until I had a little more than 50+K on them and this third set, for some reason, has 70+K on them. I usually buy new shoes when they are down to about 3/16" of tread. I would suggest going with the E rather than the D rated tire.

I live between Cheyenne and Laramie WY at the end of 5 miles of dirt/gravel road. Traction is surprisingly good for an A T tread tire. I consider the wear to be fantastic.

·
Registered
3,310 Posts
Not sure what websites you are looking at but I have never seen them for double the cost or even close to that. I just did a quick search comparing Geolandars to Defenders and the price seems pretty close to being the same. Now factor in the Michelins can get double the mileage and it ends up being a cheaper tire based on cost per mile.

Reactions: H2O_MAN

·
Registered
229 Posts
Bet the tires would wear better and last longer if you inflated them more than 28 psi. Seems quite low to me.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I've got the defenders on my truck with about 40k miles on them. I run 34 PSI. They had just been put on the truck by the previous owner when I bought it. I'd love to put them on again but I'll probably go with the Firestone Destination LE2. I had them on a previous vehicle and was very happy with the tires in terms of comfort, durability, and traction vs. price.

·
Premium Member
213 Posts
I have tried many different brands and mine works best with BF Goodrich. Both my 2000 Tundra and 2001 Sequoia handle break and ride best. The worst I ever had were Pirelli's. they sucked in wet and in cold weather it seemed to take forever for the flat spots to go away. thump thump thump...... Michellins were okay but not great. goodyears were the worst. tread seperated on 3 of 4 tires in less than 30 thousan and were supposed ot have a 60 k warranty. The dealer told me it sucked to be me.... Been running the B.F. ever since. spend the extra for road force balance.

·
Registered
125 Posts
my goodyear assurance fuel max's are fantastic. But after reading gsxrsquids issues, I'd go with bf goodrich if i were you. I've had bf's, michelins, goodyrs, and bigO in the past (various trucks).

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have been running 265/70 R17s on my 04 Tundra Limited since my original OEM tires wore out. The 65 series tires are not as common and more expensive. I think they fill the wheel wells better! I love the Cooper AT3S which have an improved winter traction compound as I live in the snow belt area of North Idaho. On my 2nd set of Cooper tires although the Goodrich TAs are a great tire too.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Had an 07 4Runner 4yrs ago with Michelin tires on it when purchased. I didn't care for them in snow/ice so I stepped up to Goodyear Duratrac tire that is all season but carried the snow flake icon for better winter traction. OMG what an outstanding tire that is, I was shocked because the ride was so much better than any Mich I ever owned (top lines) and traction in snow/rain was second to none. They're aggressive looking tires and look like off roads but in truth are very quiet all season tires with a Kevlar case. Do a bit of reading on the Duratracs you will find out how fine a tire they are.
Today I drive an 05 Tundra and the Duratracs are on it. When I bought it I put the new Michelin tires from the Tundra on the 4runner and sold it. I kept the 3yr old Duratracs not the new Michelin set if that tells you anything.
As a note my wife's Infiniti has Michelin tires on it that I bought 5yrs ago for it. Well actually I bought the 1st set that lasted almost 3yrs before they dry rotted so bad they were unsafe.
Michelin stepped up and replaced them. Today the 2nd set has 2 tires that also have dry rotted bad so it will need tires by next summer. One other tire has a balance issue that Sears would not replace for me. Seems once a set is replaced once your stuck with whatever defects they develop. Then again maybe it's just another reason why Sears is now gone idk? I know I'll never buy Mich tires again "never".
They once made the best tires money could buy but whatever happened to the Mich corp we once knew I really don't know because my Goodyear's are still perfect with twice the mileage and twice the age on them. Goodyear was always a last choice for me so it's upside down in my book. Check tirerack website for reviews on every tire made.
Before taking a chance I would have lost betting big money on the Michelins everytime. Just read up on them is all I'm saying.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Had an 07 4Runner 4yrs ago with Michelin tires on it when purchased. I didn't care for them in snow/ice so I stepped up to Goodyear Duratrac tire that is all season but carried the snow flake icon for better winter traction. OMG what an outstanding tire that is, I was shocked because the ride was so much better than any Mich I ever owned (top lines) and traction in snow/rain was second to none. They're aggressive looking tires and look like off roads but in truth are very quiet all season tires with a Kevlar case. Do a bit of reading on the Duratracs you will find out how fine a tire they are.
Today I drive an 05 Tundra and the Duratracs are on it. When I bought it I put the new Michelin tires from the Tundra on the 4runner and sold it. I kept the 3yr old Duratracs not the new Michelin set if that tells you anything.
As a note my wife's Infiniti has Michelin tires on it that I bought 5yrs ago for it. Well actually I bought the 1st set that lasted almost 3yrs before they dry rotted so bad they were unsafe.
Michelin stepped up and replaced them. Today the 2nd set has 2 tires that also have dry rotted bad so it will need tires by next summer. One other tire has a balance issue that Sears would not replace for me. Seems once a set is replaced once your stuck with whatever defects they develop. Then again maybe it's just another reason why Sears is now gone idk? I know I'll never buy Mich tires again "never".
They once made the best tires money could buy but whatever happened to the Mich corp we once knew I really don't know because my Goodyear's are still perfect with twice the mileage and twice the age on them. Goodyear was always a last choice for me so it's upside down in my book. Always check tirerack website for reviews on every tire made and dont focus on brand. Trust me here every brand makes a p.o.c tire and you don't want to get them. I know these Michelins were top of line tires.
Before taking a chance I would have lost betting big money on the Michelins everytime. Just read up on them is all I'm saying.
Sorry long post again but most fact based warnings are pretty long.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Stock size for my 2001 Toyota Sequoia Limited 4wd is 265/70-16 but am wanting to run just a slightly larger size, 275/70-16, they're only like .2 wide and maybe .4 taller. Have found them in BFGoodrich, Michelin, Yokohama, Cooper, Kuhmo and Toyo unless I go with a mud tire but am only interested in all season on/off road all terrain tires yet honestly I mostly drive on road yet wanna drive a little off road, not like go rock crawling or mudding but like on dirt/gravel roads. But want best traction for dry/wet roads and best handling in snow and on ice cause Farmer's Almanac is predicting a really dicey winter since we're having such a warm summer like fall season. Have found that BFGoodrich cost close to 300 a tire and Michelin cost like 250 maybe 260 a tire yet Cooper, Yokohama, Kuhmo and Toyo cost right around 160 to 180 and honestly with my finances it looks like I can only handle those 4 particular brands yet will admit and more partial to Kuhmo HT51 cause they're rated highly well for all around except probably more for dirt/gravel road off roading and Yokohama AT G015, if any have used any of these specific tires, would greatly appreciate your input. The prices I've been quoting are from Tire Discounters cause you get free alignment which usually cost around 70 and their installation includes Lifetime Rotations and Balances, Tire Valve Replacement as well as FREE Tire Repair.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Have a 2001 SR5 getting close to 250K miles Michelin Defenders and their depressors have gone as much as 100K on a set! Also without rotation, this truck tracks like a dream!

·
Registered
202 Posts
I had Michellin Cross Terrain, 275/70 r16 (good, pricey), Yokohama Geolander AT, 285/75 r16 (not good in snow), BFG AT KO2, 285/75 r16 (best tire), Cooper Adventurer AT, 265/75 r16 (perform close to BFG AT KO).

·
Registered
150 Posts
I've had the old Geolandar AT (31"), General Grabber AT2 (33" - without studs), and BFG AT KO2 (33") on my tree and they have all performed well in winter conditions (Tahoe basin winters). All three tires have the mountain snow flake symbol and did well in the snow, with the BFGs taking the lead on icy and hard pack roads.

I'm currently running Geolandar MTs (35") but have yet to try them in the snow as it hasn't snowed yet.

If you're looking for a good value streetable AT tire with solid winter performance, the BFG AT KO2 or Geolandar G015 are definitely the way to go. The new Falkens seem pretty rad too but I have yet to try them.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Had Michelin, BFG, Cooper and house brands nothing comes close to my Goodyear Duratracs. Best riding, quietest, best traction & after several yrs on two trucks they still have half the tread still. Amazing tires!
I actually hated GY and was a diehard Michelin man until reading reports on the Duratracs. Read up on tires at TireRack dot com to start with.
We live were 2ft of snow hits a few times annually and my gravel driveway is 200yrds to my street. It's 5 miles to the first plowed roadway here so traction is a must. Never will I buy any other tire than Duratracs unless they stop producing them. They look aggressive but are much more quiet than stock Michelin it came with. Rode better than they ever did and better than my wife's Michelin or Firestone tires on her Infiniti. Read reviews, they are great tires. I did have to balance them a few times since new but discount tires does it free. I am thrilled with both companies!

·
Registered
142 Posts
"When balanced" the newish Falken Wildpeak AT3 are great. I have the lesser weight rated ones with silica. Amazed how they do in the snow and how smooth they ride "when balanced". Hard to balance though.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Hopefully by now you've found a good tire. I'm still in the elusive search for one that will last. I dont do heavy offroading but I still want a aggressive AT tire as we get a lot of snow here and I drive 30 miles of gravel road every day. I'm on my 4th set of tires in 70k miles. All 3 previous have gotten around 20-25k miles. All still had enough tread that warranty was out of the question but not enough to feel safe driving in winter.
1st set: Toyo Open country AT. Good all around traction, quiet and handled well. Just didnt last.
2nd set: Cooper AT3. I would rank these as good as the Toyos but again the tread wear sucked
3rd set: Nokian Rodian AT. These were great highway tires but traction sucked anywhere off road. Which may have lead to the increased tread wear.

4th set (just bought them) Goodyear Wrangler Authority (Wally world version of the duratrac). I wanted the Duratracs but the nearest dealer was 2 hours away so I figured I would give these a whirl. I'd already bought what the local stores considered their best AT tire and wasn't impressed. And I'm already resolved that I am going to buy another set in 20k miles so I figured WTH. I'll see how they do. They do have an aggressive tread and did well in snow and ice on the drive home. The Falken Wildpeaks were my next choice. Maybe next round.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts