Toyota Tundra Forums banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Driver of 2 Tundra trucks
6,297 Posts
Save up for new Michelins, or find a set of low mileage take-offs on Craigslist.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Looking forward to getting new rims and tires when my Grabbers wear out. About 900 miles into this fresh set, I got a large bolt right on the edge of the center tread. The plug is huge and now that tire can't be balanced. Anything over 55mph causes the wheel to shake like it has palsey. Balancing efforts have proven fruitless. Yesterday, as part of the normal PM on my Sequioa, I rotated the tires and will leave the plugged tire in the rear until the set needs to be replaced. The shaking is much less when the tire is in the rear.

We're keeping the "Beast" and I'm considering upgrading to 17" rims with the factory 17" size tire. (Currently have the 16" setup) It's fun to check out options on Tirerack... This thread has proven helpful... funny how even semi-truck drivers seem to always "go back to Michelins" after trying other brands. I may consider them again if they are running a special at the time. LTX M/S2 are pricey but I don't hear many complaints. The Defenders wear long but I'm concerned that they may be too hard. I don't do any off road driving... sorry... I live in the Keys... not much snow here.:cool:

·
Registered
3,310 Posts
I hear people all the time say the Michelins are more money but are they? I mean doing an actual side by side comparison its not even that big. I just went on the Costco website and here's what I found.
Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revo 3 $995-No mileage rating given
Bridgestone Dueler H/T 685 - $995-No mileage rating given
Pirelli Scorpion ATR -$1188, 80 000km tread life warranty
Pirelli Scorpion Verde All Season Plus $895, 105 000km tread life warranty
Michelin Defender LTX M/S $1135, 115 000km tread life warranty.

These are all the same size tire quoted for my truck in CDN dollars and KM's, not miles but an accurate comparison of each.
So the Michelins are actually cheaper than the ATR's and get 35 000 km's more mileage.
The Michelins are $140 more than the Bridgestones but those tires dont even give you a mileage rating, so how long will they last?
My OEM Bridgestones were total crap in everything, rain, snow, dry, you name it, and squealed like a stuck pig every time you turned a corner.
My Defenders are 10 times better in all the above conditions and if they last as long as they should, they will almost double the mileage of the Bridgestones.
So do they really cost more in the long run and am I willing to spend and extra $140 to get a tire that is that much better? All day long.

·
Registered
229 Posts
When I get back from Bahrain in 2021, I will keep an eye out for the Michelin promos that run a few times a year and will snag a set. I'm all over the "cut the gray wire" trick to get rid of the TPMS... and I'm going to freshen up the look of the truck with 17" rims. For now, the Grabbers are working fine... just not the most pleasant at highway speeds with the plugged tire on the front. ...t happens. :poop:

·
Registered
61 Posts
Speaking of tires, don't forget about the spare! The one on my tree was original from the factory. I replaced it with a cheapo something-or-other that was the same size. I just wanted something that wasn't dry-rotted and beaten by 18 years on the road.

·
Registered
1 Posts
...funny how even semi-truck drivers seem to always "go back to Michelins" after trying other brands. I may consider them again if they are running a special at the time. LTX M/S2 are pricey but I don't hear many complaints.
If you don't mind going a bit narrower/taller than stock, I just got a set 245/75/17 Michelin LTX M/S2 installed for $118/tire (USD). I'm seeing that size on sale in a few places. Similarly, I don't really offroad here in SoCal except for desert wash roads to camp sites, so the Michelins are perfect for 99% of my driving. Super smooth and quiet in the first week I've had them.

·
Registered
9 Posts
If you have a costco near you, you can get the Michelin Devender XLT M/S which is the same as the LTX with the letters backwards. A bit pricy but less so. last quite a long time.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Just an update on my Yoko Geolandars: The sidewalls on all four were "weather" cracking. Took it to the local tire place and had them pro-rated for replacements by Yoko. They have a 60k warranty on them and I had them for only 37k. I don't know if I had a bad batch or not. They were kept at regular pressures and were not used in towing or hard off-roading. My guess is as good as yours.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts