Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so I'm shopping for a crossbox/saddlebox style toolbox for my long bed and I'm not sure which manufacturer to go with. I've essentially got two options that I'm debating over right now, the Delta Pro deep, extra wide model (PAC1599002) and the Weather Guard extra wide model (117-5-01). Both are black, aluminum, single lid style. From what I've heard they are both good makes but Weather Guard is supposed to be the best. I can get either of them from a local shop but there are a few factors to consider:
1st - the Weather Guard is about $200 more than the Delta Pro ($900 vs $700). Is it that much better?
2nd - it seems that all the shops here in Calgary are dropping the Delta brand, including the Pro line, and it sounds like more of a customer service issue rather than quality.
3rd - W.G. has a lifetime warranty vs D.P. has only 3 year.
4th - the W.G. is bigger at apx. 18" deep and 28" wide vs D.P. is only 24" wide.

So... does anyone have experience with the Delta Pro? Are their boxes just as well built as the WeatherGuards or is the couple hundred bucks worth it?

Also, there are steel options available for both. I'm thinking aluminum to keep the weight down and I like the look of the diamond plate, but I suppose the steel would be stronger... any thoughts?

Since I know I'll be asked, I will be carrying a lot of money and weight in it at all times (in the form of tools unfortunately, no gold bricks :(), so its worth the price if it will store and protect them for years to come. Also buying a big crossbox will mean I won't have to buy a rat pack (wooden sliding drawers), at least not for now, which cost about $600.

Sorry for rambling, and thanks in advance for any input.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Sorry I posted this in the wrong category, not sure how to move it.

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
3rd - W.G. has a lifetime warranty vs D.P. has only 3 year.
4th - the W.G. is bigger at apx. 18" deep and 28" wide vs D.P. is only 24" wide.
IMO, these 2 things justify the added cost for WG. I don't have any experience with Delta, but we've had WG boxes on the farm that were used and abused and held up well.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Delta Pro are good boxes.

Also consider Jobox these are Deltas commercial grade boxes.

~JH

·
Premium Member
2,247 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
This link has alot of good information.
Truck Boxes | Truck Tool Boxes | Truck Toolboxes | Lowest Price Guarantee

Personally, Im going with a Black UWS low pro...
UWS has the worst latch system of any on the market. I have had a crossbox UWS, the side mount UWS and I currently have side mount WG. The WG is by far superior to the tool boxes listed above. The powdercoat is thicker, the latch is more durable and they last 10 times longer. That's just my opinion. WG makes a low pro if that's what you would like.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'd love a low profile box if they made one extra deep AND wide, haven't found one yet though.
I'd consider the JoBox except their extra wide model is getting too wide (30") and I don't like how high the lids are for visibility reasons. What about deflectashield's high end stuff, Seal Tite I think it's called?

·
Registered
4,487 Posts
I like my UWS but I probably wouldn't throw my job's dependence in there. I would spend the extra money up front and get the best I could afford.

It does great for me though, and it is water tight just about.

-rockstate

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Ive got a Delta tool box on my Tundra, its the black diamond plate and i like it a lot. Its real easy to open and close with a self raising lid, totally water proof and has a nice little sliding storage rack inside it i use to keep all my tie downs and tow straps on. In addition of course its lockable.

I got it at TSC (tractor supply co.) for around 350-400 because instead of having a "DELTA" logo on the outside it has a small TSC logo on it, which i removed. However when you open it, it says made by DELTA. So my vote is for delta but ill admit ive got no experience with anything else...

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So just an update, I ordered the weatherguard. Went in to a local shop and while they didn't have the box I was looking for, they did have a couple weatherguards and the difference compared to a cheaper boxes is night and day! It has to be built for me so I was told 4 weeks until they get it in, 2 more to go!
I also got a backrack safety rack which I think looks pretty good and it's sturdier than I imagined it would be before I saw one in person.
I'll post pics once the box arrives!

·
Registered
246 Posts
Good call. I've been using my Weatherguard almost daily for the past 2-1/2 years and it's still as solid as they day I bought it. They really are worth the cost.

·
Registered
103 Posts
What color did you get and what model #?

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I think it was 117-5-01. It's the black, aluminum, single lid, extra wide saddle box.
My truck is white and I'm trying to keep a black and white color scheme going.

·
Registered
1,903 Posts

I am in the market for a low profile, small box for my Tacoma.

Just being curious here ... which brand has the thickest (heaviest gauge) aluminum diamond plate ??

·
Registered
57 Posts
Love my WG boxes, use them everyday for work. LineXed the pack rat and added a sheet of diamond plate bc the pack rat got all messed up from dragging A/C units across it. The lineX didn't hold up, just keep getting peeled up like an orange. I would fix it but don't have to time to drop off my truck for a day or two to get it fix, since its a repair and lineX not making money they kinda blow you off and says it would take days to get to, shiet they orginally sprayed it in a couple of hours.

Just showing off and venting, enjoy the pictures.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

I am in the market for a low profile, small box for my Tacoma.

Just being curious here ... which brand has the thickest (heaviest gauge) aluminum diamond plate ??

You can get some with heavier gauge aluminum but poor quality latches, usually custom built stuff. If you want a good quality box, as mentioned previously, Delta Pro and Weatherguard are good options. JoBox is better than Delta Pro but I'm not sure if they make a low profile box.
I chose Weatherguard and while I haven't got it yet, I feel pretty good about my decision.
You could also go steal if you want something really sturdy, but they are much heavier and will eventually start to rust.

·
Registered
103 Posts
So let see some pictures of the box.:D

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Still not in. I'm at work for the next couple weeks so hopefully it's in when I get back home.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts