Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I put a Road Armor Bumper on my Tundra, it fits like a glove, except on the passenger side there is some rubbing. The large circle is the bracket that needs to be cut, the little circle is where you can see the rubbing and the removal of the powder coating.

1ST questions, will i mess anything up by cutting that bracket?
2ND question, Whats the best wayto go at it, a dremel? Not much room under there, i tried tin snips, but could not get enough cut out.

Thanks guys.

·
Registered
179 Posts
can you get in there with some air driven nippers? if not find a local fab shop and have them cut it out with a plasma cutter, which i think would be the best, very little heat and will not mess the front side of the bumper up. as for messing things up, i doubt it and if and when you sell the new owner will not care as long as he gets the bumper.
tim

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Tim, would you say no way to a dremel with a cutting blade on it?

·
Premium Member
5,456 Posts
The recommended tools are an air cutoff tool, a disk grinder, or a plasma cutter. The dremel will work if you are patient enough and so would a die grinder. It will depend on what you have for cutoff tools to go with them.

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
We cut stuff like this & worse every day at work, an air cut off tool is the way to go with a thin disk blade(matabo)for no more than your cutting the right set up on a cordless drill would do the trick, we use this set up for small jobs, because running a power cord or cutting torch can be more PITA than the job.

·
Ever the explorer
2,391 Posts
Maybe a sawzall or a die grinder, dremel tool is not strong enough

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the suggestions guys. The other part of the question though, any down side to cutting that old bumper bracket?

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Thanks for the suggestions guys. The other part of the question though, any down side to cutting that old bumper bracket?

If you just need to cut a small portion no big deal. But of course anytime you hack up your truck it is not a positive. Make sure and cover it with some paint after you cut it.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
^^ thanks man!!

·
Registered
513 Posts
if you use a plasma disconnect the battery at least… some people would tell you to unplug anything that could get fried by static… grounding the truck to the ground would be a good idea. I wonder how much an ecu costs in these trucks? if it fits a 5 inch angle grinder with a cutting wheel makes quick work of these types of things.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i just got dont messing around with it, and i am afraid i might deform the fender.

·
Registered
753 Posts
angle grinder is my weapon of choice. I cut everything with it, even my toenails. It cut the top of my jeep off like a hot knife through butter.

-Tim

·
Registered
750 Posts
Looking at that photo I don't think I would cut that bit of metal away at all. I would take the bumper off and see about getting a refund for poor workmanship.

First of all the bumper doesn't fit properly as it rubs, second if all the other welds on that bumper are as lousy looking as the ones in the photo it won't stand up to much. I've seen better welding beads done by junior high school shop students.

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
Looking at that photo I don't think I would cut that bit of metal away at all. I would take the bumper off and see about getting a refund for poor workmanship.

First of all the bumper doesn't fit properly as it rubs, second if all the other welds on that bumper are as lousy looking as the ones in the photo it won't stand up to much. I've seen better welding beads done by junior high school shop students.
Now that you mention it that is one ugly a$$ weld, well better to learn on bumpers than on 8" pipe that has 900 degree oil running threw it at 600 pounds pressure.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Beer, you crazy bastard! Bring it to the meet and I'll find a way to cut it! No problem. :devil:

·
Registered
7,461 Posts
sledge hammer. :)

"dont force it, get a bigger hammer"

·
Registered
750 Posts
Now that you mention it that is one ugly a$$ weld, well better to learn on bumpers than on 8" pipe that has 900 degree oil running threw it at 600 pounds pressure.
Well go smack a 150lb deer with it at 40-50mph and the weld will get the same treatment, and the bumper may not take it.

·
Registered
179 Posts
after looking again and closer i agree with those about taking it back and not cutting. i think the bumper looks great but the fit is just too tight, shimming might be the best answer i would talk with road armor and make sure they understand you do not want to modify your truck.
tim

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I cut two small cuts in that little bracket, and was able to bend it up, i drove around and it was not making any more noise. i am going to primer the cuts and the bend, and the bumper to make sure i dont get any rust. Im taking the truck into my buddies shop tomorrow to get the back bumper put on. My Tow hitch tube sticks out to far on the one side, so its going to need to be grinded down about a quarter of an inch. As i am sure most of you know, Road Armor does not provide any customer service and would not take it back, i dont want to take it off any way, i could add a bead to the corner of the bumper if need be.

Thanks all you guys for your suggestions.

TJ i will see what i can do about the meet in Sept. Are you going to have a blood mary with me at 10am?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts