Toyota Tundra Forums banner

Best way to improve fuel economy.

5K views 31 replies 23 participants last post by  The Phoenix 
#1 ·
What is the best way to improve your fuel economy? Besides driving slower.

#2 ·
Best way to improve fuel economy, buy a different vehicle:D If you are referring to your Tundra there is not a whole lot you can do. I'm in the same boat, they are NOT great on fuel and that's that.:( Other than making sure your tires are aired up properly and changing the air filter regularily and possibly using synthetic oil there is not much else you can do. Some people report slight mileage gains by installing exhaust headers but the high cost of these will likely offset any minor mileage gains. Another thing you can try is to disconnect your battery for a few minutes to reset the computer, I noticed a slight improvement in my city mileage after doing this.:)

#4 ·
The best way to better fuel economy with your tundra is to never turn it on.:clown: Seriously though you can do a couple of things to help yourself like keep the tires properly inflated, run with a clean air filter, avoid jackrabbit starts and stops and don't carry around unnecessary weight. The quality of the fuel you run also plays a part in your mpg as well as whether or not it is oxygenated.

#8 ·
You can improve your driving patterns. Meaning, when you run errands, do them all at once, rather than 4-5x a week. Avoid traffic jams, and leave earlier for work. When going across town, take the expressway rather than through town. Even though it's more miles, all those stops and starts kill fuel economy. Finally, try a better oil next oil change - like Amsoil or Royal Purple. It may not improve fuel economy, but your engine will run smoother, and you'll not need to change the oil every 3-5,000 miles.

#10 ·
Ive heard that using Premium Gas improve your gas economy, is this true?
It might but the extra cost for Hi test offsets the mileage gain, so it really ends up costing you more money; not less.

#11 ·
#12 ·
I see from your signature you are planning on lifting you truck and adding bigger tires. If you are serious about better fuel economy, do not do these mods., especially the bigger tires.

I have had success with a K&N air filter. My mpg have improved from 15.25 to 16.8 all city driving. People have had mixed reviews of K&N products on this site but I have not had any problems with mine.

#13 ·
Driving slower is not as important as accelerating more slowly. You can go fast on the highway and as long as you keep the rpm's at or near 2000 you will get good mileage (for a tundra anyway). Floor it off the start every time and your mileage will decrease substantially.

#14 ·
Try to combine trips so you aren't driving a cold engine.
Those 2 mi trips up to Lowes, etc. absolutely kill your gas mileage.

#16 ·
I've said it before, drive only downhill! Seriously, I live in a hilly area and drive the same roads frequently. Many places I can coast (illegal in my state but don't tell anyone) from a short ten or fifteen seconds to over a quarter mile without loosing speed. There are other places I start at the top of the hill well below the speed limit of 55 and am doing 65-70 by the bottom of the hill. You pay going the other direction because it's obviously uphill. It is easier since I drive a stick, but I do it in my wifes automatic as well, just takes more practice. Another place I coast is up to red lights. As soon as I see it turn red I'm in neutral. This also saves brakes since, in your automatic, you also have to slow the engine to bring your truck to a stop (take your foot off the gas and see how fast the truck will continue to go on its own). Unfortunately, some of my habits annoy those who like to go as fasts as possible and brake as hard as possible, so I also pull over a lot to let those guys and gals pass. Since you are only sixteen, these are HARD habits to develop, but they will save gas. WB

#17 ·
I just got done watching Motorweek on the Speed Channel. They had a feature on a book written by Ronald Weiers, Ph.d titled "365 Ways to Save Gas". You can save 10-20% on gas. Don't tap brakes. Back into your parking space. Arrange errands so you make your most distant stop first. Avoid clip-on flags. These were among the tips. check it out: MotorWeek: Inside Track: FYI

#19 ·
I have an 07 5.7 DC:
Do you know the part number for the filter?
Does it require any modifications?

Thanks,

Dave Jones
I just checked K&N's website and they have not made a drop-in filter for the 07 Tundra yet. The one I use is simply a drop-in replacement for the OEM filter; no modifications needed. One thing to keep in mind is that you have to drive about 3000 miles before you will start to see improvements, at least this has been my experience with them.

#20 ·
I would LOVE to be paying $2.79 for 87 octane. Where I live it is $3.05 now. :mad:
thats it? ****, here is cali, it's now at 3.35. **** sucks.

as for driving under or around 2K rpms, that really seems to work for me. i have notice that i'm getting better MPG when i drive under the 2K mark. trust me, it's hard to do, but it's worth it.

#21 ·
Great points - all. But people often overlook use of the brakes and the part they play in mileage (and brake/rotor life). When you are coming to a stop, don't cruise in at 50mph with 10 feet left and slam on the brake. Excessive use of hard braking makes it necessary for a directly proportional force on the gas pedal to get going again. Let the engine/powertrain do the braking when you can, and re-accelerate in a reasonable manner. Tire pressure, tire pressure, tire pressure..... check it often (at least once a week). Clean oil and filter. Good gas - you might be limited in what you can find. 93 and 89 are NOT better or cleaner gas than 87! They have different purposes and applications. Use 87 unless your engine is pinging under a heavy load (which it really shouldn't be unless there is a problem somewhere)! I know that colder temperatures (ambient) cause lower gas mileage, and this is extremely apparent in my 04TundraV8. I also know that "winter" blend and "summer" blend cause minor fluctuations in gas mileage. My bottom line is very good maintenance and a light foot on the gas and brake.

#22 ·
Spend the equivalent of two tanks of gas for a ScanguageII..
You'll figure out where the gas gets wasted and how to drive more efficiently
fast. ScanGaugeII - Scan Tool + Digital Gauges + Trip Computers
The web site lists the price as $170 but they can be they can be talked down some.

#23 ·
[quoteTire pressure, tire pressure, tire pressure..... check it often (at least once a week).[/quote]

I filled my tires with nitrogen 2 months ago & have not had to add air (nitrogen) once. (My wife's PT Cruiser needed air weekly in all four tires).
The nitrogen itself won't save any gas but it does contribute to more stable tire presssures and temperatures.

#24 ·
I just checked K&N's website and they have not made a drop-in filter for the 07 Tundra yet. The one I use is simply a drop-in replacement for the OEM filter; no modifications needed. One thing to keep in mind is that you have to drive about 3000 miles before you will start to see improvements, at least this has been my experience with them.
3000 miles???:eek: At that point, it's time to buy another air filter (or hose out the one you have). If K/N is telling you this, it's a myth (similar to esoteric speaker wires or home speakers breaking in). The mfg. tells you this so you can't return the product.

#25 ·
Best ways to improve fuel economy.

Make sure air pressure is exactly what the specs say inside your door jam.
Keep air filter clean.
Replace spark plugs with irridiums at next tune up.
Keep RPM's under 2000.

My low fuel light just came on at 332 miles on the trip. I couldn't believe that. Usually always comes on at 300 or so.

#26 ·
3000 miles???:eek: At that point, it's time to buy another air filter (or hose out the one you have). If K/N is telling you this, it's a myth (similar to esoteric speaker wires or home speakers breaking in). The mfg. tells you this so you can't return the product.

K&N did not say this. This is how long I have had to drive before seeing noticeable improvements in mpg. This is only MY experience with the filter, other people may have different experiences. To each his own but I think it's worth it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.