Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just had 285/70/17 load E BFG KO2's (new) installed on my truck last week and they are extremely loud starting from 20mph. I realize these are AT's so I anticipated some tread noise, but these create a loud humming noise that get proportionally louder as the truck increases speed. Its loud enough to mask all engine noise and its almost unbearable at speeds 50mph +. The only time the noise disappears is when making sweeping (not 90 degree) right turns. I had them installed, balanced + aligned twice with the same results. We tried removing the Spidertrax spacers to see if there was any changes, but the noise continued.

The folks at the tire shop called it 'drone noise'. They see 1 out of 50 cars experience this issue but they said that there was no known cause or fix for the condition.

Can anyone shed light on the matter?

I'll have to select a new set of tires to replace these units. Anyone have experience with General Grabber AXT or Falken Wildpeak At3's? The tire shop folks said I could have the same "drone noise" issue and Im hoping to install a new set of tires and close this case.

TIA

·
Registered
51 Posts
I have the BFG KO2, 285/70/17, load C and they've been the perfect tire. What kind of wheel did you put them on? If the noise dissapears when turning maybe its going to be something with your suspension in the front?

imo unless you're towing or doing extreme offroad and need 10ply side walls, opt for load C. they're cheaper and lighter.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the feedback. The load E’s are heavy, you feel the excess weight on acceleration and stopping. They’re mounted in the factory split spoke 17’s.

I just had the steering rack replaced before they were mounted so I’m assuming the front end suspension was tightened to spec.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I’ll vote for Toyo Rt tires.... love them on my sequoia. I have 35x12.50x17 on factory 2006 wheels with spidertrax spacers. Mine is lifted and has an aftermarket bumper to better fit the tires...

Nice and quiet, but still has an aggressive tread.

·
Premium Member
250 Posts
I have BFG KO2's Load E on my 2001 Tundra and don't have any problem with noise

1 - 5 of 5 Posts