Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for new tires and can't decide between the BFG T/A's or Cooper LTZ's for my 08 DB Cab Tundra.
I live in MT so they need to be good on snow and ice along with gravel and mud.
Both tires are about the same price, Coopers might actually be a little more but I think I can get one of the tire shops to come down on them. Surprisingly my Toyota dealer has the best prices on the BFG's at $234 a tire.

Thanks for any input and advice

·
Premium Member
319 Posts
Looking for new tires and can't decide between the BFG T/A's or Cooper LTZ's for my 08 DB Cab Tundra.
I live in MT so they need to be good on snow and ice along with gravel and mud.
Both tires are about the same price, Coopers might actually be a little more but I think I can get one of the tire shops to come down on them. Surprisingly my Toyota dealer has the best prices on the BFG's at $234 a tire.

Thanks for any input and advice
I'd recommend looking into the Goodyear DuraTrac. This is an excellent tire that may be a great match for your needs. A lot of people consider them a cross between an AT and an MT. They are winter rated and can be studded, if you choose, during the winter. Here's a link to some more information. Please let us know if we can help you more.

Goodyear DuraTrac

·
Registered
650 Posts
do not put a duratrac on a heavy truck like a tundra. now that i've switched back to bfg at's i realize how horrible the duratrac's flimsy sidewalls are on a heavy truck

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've done my research and am ONLY considering the two tires I stated in my original post. I thought I said to please not recommend any other types of tires, I only want to hear about the T/O's and LTZ's...but I guess I didn't.
I already researched the Duratracs and found they seem a bit sketchy for highway use.

I have noticed since I started looking for new tires that EVERYONE in town here is running the T/O's...kind of funny to see them on smaller vehicles.
If the local tire store won't price match the LTZ's then K/O's it is.

·
Registered
655 Posts
iv hade nothing but problems with the cooper tires,bfg arnt a bad tire,im a nitto fan myself.good luck.

·
Premium Member
5,061 Posts
I have Cooper Discovery ATRs on my truck that had 4K miles on them when I bought it. They flat spot like a mofo after sitting overnight and the temp gets down to the upper 40s (yeah, thats rediculous!). If I drove it more and wanted to drop several hundred bucks, I'd send them off the recycle mountain. Maybe the Zeons are better?

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Looks like I can get a set of Toyo Open Country AT's for about $20 cheaper then the BFG's.
What works better in snow...Toyos or BFG's?

·
Registered
70 Posts
I would go with the Toyo's then the BFG's. I had the Cooper Zeons and they were excellent in the summer on dry pavement.
If you need them in the snow or anything other than dry pavement on a regular basis they are not the tire for you.

·
Registered
3,696 Posts
I had the Coopers on my 06 Ram. Loved these tires. Mine were a 275/60/20. Bit a a bear to get balanced (first 10K) after that some of the best tires I have ever bought.

The BFG AT KO's on my truck now suck. Pick up rocks like a magnet and howl on the highway. Yeah i know it is an AT and yeah it's a truck, but damn the Coopers never threw rocks like these things and yes they did howl but nowwhere near as bad as the BFG.

Coopers are great in snow, suck on ice.

·
Registered
235 Posts
i went round and round about tires. ended up with cooper ltz 275/60-20 on my sequoia. so far they have been great. did awesome in the snow this year

·
Registered
4,610 Posts
Since the KO's are on your short list, did you consider the remanufactured tires in the KO pattern with the walnut shells in the rubber for ice traction? I was going to get them but ended up with some slightly used winter tires from another member

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hey Snowsnob, I to am looking for tires here in MT. I love BFG ATs in the summer, they are only ok in the winter along with Toyo ATs which I have now. The best snow/ice specific tire I've found is a studded Cooper snow tire. Another great one has been a studded and siped Hankook mudder. I am now leaning towards the Hankook AT 275/70-18 as a do everything tire. I don't think I can afford 2 sets of tires per rig anymore. Good luck.

·
Registered
13 Posts
We have run both the BFG AT KO's and the Cooper Zeon's up here in Alberta. Both are very good tires. The BFG's have the mountain snowflake and are the A/T of choice tire up here, mostly for the stiffer sidewalls. I had them on my Fish & Wildlife truck and they were good for towing, loads and the sidewalls held up well. The newer BFG's seem to last longer than the old ones from 10 years ago. The Zeon's are also good on the road and in the mud and snow even though they do not have the mountain snowflake. They are rated for 520 and have a softer rubber that grips well. We are getting around 65,000-80,000kms depending how much gravel we run. The other tire popular is the Goodyear Silent Armour's. Some of the guys even run the Michelin M/S if they do more pavement than offroad because they wear so good. We stopped with the Michelin A/T's as they seem to throw more gravel, good tire otherwise if you don't do much gravel. Toyo's A/T are good as well as the Revo's. The important thing is to pick what you like and what style you drive.

I think I'm going to put the Zeon's back on for my next set....I really like the performance and the look! Plus we get the 20" Zeon's up here for just under $1168 a set and they are load rated for 119 which is just under 3000 lbs per tire. The Silent Armours are above $1200 and the BFG's and Michelin's the most expensive, running around $1400 for the 20's.The prices are installed, tax in.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts