Toyota Tundra Forums banner

Big dusters any good?

6K views 14 replies 13 participants last post by  GeorgeTRD 
#1 ·
Anyone have an opinion on those big car dusters they sell to remove dirt from vehicle exteriors? I used to use one on my Tundra and I thought it was a great way to extend the time between washes... that is until a friend of mine said that instead of removing dirt they just force it deeper into the paint. Any thoughts? Thinking about buying one for my new truck.

ST

#2 ·
By dirt I'm assuming you mean that nice light dust coating you always get just after washing or detailing your truck :mad:, or maybe even pollen. I don't use one myself and understand what your friend is saying. The theory is that by wiping down the vehicle your dragging dust/dirt along it possibly making fine scratches in the paint.

John

#3 ·
I use one to remove lint and dust on a garaged vehicle. Never use if the truck is really dusty or dirty at all.

#4 ·
Yea, exactly, the light layer of dust that comes right on a day after washing. With my old truck I noticed that it worked really well if I dusted it everyday after coming home from work. Car looked freshly washed a week later! Nevery noticed any scratches really, at least none that were really noticeable. I think I'll pick one up for limited use.

ST

#7 ·
dont bother using one unless you want to induce marring onto your finish. Most of the scratches that are on todays vehicles are from improper maintenance. So if your gonna do a wipe down trash the duster and get some quality MF towels and use some waterless wash. it may take a little more time but at least you wont be scratching it up while you do it.

#8 ·
ive used both, california duster and the waterless wash stuff. for the light dust the cd seems to work well, the waterless wash did a pretty decent job on the accumulated dust and water spots. canadian tire up here had the simonize on sale so i grabbed two for the price of one, a package of mf towels and went to town. it cleans and waxes as you work. i sprayed the mf towel and wiped in the direction of the wind (as someone mentioned on here) then buffed it with a second mf towel.

we had a pretty good storm friday evening, AFTER i cleaned the truck, go figure! the water beaded up nicely and looking the truck over today, there were not too may water spots or accumulated dirt spots. mind you, driving on the highway may have helped in removing quite a bit of the water off the body.

i think ill relegate the duster to the inside and continue using the waterless wash/wax combo. two hours is about as long as it takes to go top to bottom, front to back. that includes windows inside and out less the windshield. i used aquapel on it. the jury is still out on that compared to rainx. running boards and wheels but not tires. still havent found something i like for them yet.

lee

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.