Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys!

I have a quick question regarding putting bigger wheels/tires on my '07 Avie. I have read on several sites that 20" is the limit and thats what I had in mind.

My question is.....will there be a problem in the reading of the speedometer with the bigger wheels, possibly causing warning light indications??? Also, with the tire pressure monitoring system, if the new set doesn't have them, will that cause warning light problems??

I would hate to spend money only to find out my speedo shows way off or I constantly have a check engine or tire pressure monitor light on the dash all the time!

I appreciate your help! This site is awesome and one of the main reasons I know own a Toyota!!!!

Rick.

·
Registered
39 Posts
The speedometer may be innaccurate due to the change in overall tire diameter which is a function of the tire size. However, this will cause your speedometer to be inaccurate but won't cause the warning light.

If you don't have the tire pressure monitoring in the new wheels, the warning light comes on about 1 in 10 times (at least in my car). I've been wondering about disabling or resetting it to stop this, but so far it hasn't bothered me too much since it happens infrequently. I may look into this though since you brought it up.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Switchin2'Yotas

It doesn't matter what size wheels you use, as long as the tire diameter remains close to stock.
The Avalon uses a 215 55 17, which is about 26.3 inches in diameter.
A 235 35 20 (Pirelli P Zero Nero M+S ) is 26.2 inches in diameter.
This is less than a 1% difference.
Shop on line at The Tire Rack - Your performance experts for tires and wheels. Their site has a lot of useful information on tire sizing and use.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts