Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. I have a 2006 Double cab on OEM Rugged Trail Tires. What's the biggest/fattest tire I could put on on the OEM wheels? Thanks.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
it's going to be a stock truck. i don't exactly know the size of the wheels but it takes the oem 265/70/16 bf good rich rugged trail tires.

...Which will mount to an otherwise stock truck?

...Or just the largest tire you can run on a 16x7 (or whatever your OEM size might be) rim?

·
Registered
739 Posts
You can run a 12.5 wide tire on a 7" wide rim. Some shops wont install them, but some will. I'm running 35X12.5 tires on a 15X7 rim on the race truck.

·
Registered
971 Posts
Well if you are just keeping the truck stock then a 265 75 16 is the biggest you can go without any rubbing. That is the size I am using, with no problems. Any larger and you would need a lift and possibly new wheels with a different offset.:)

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
I've seen people running 285/75/16's on the stock 16 inchers before

·
Registered
455 Posts
Saw a black full size box van today at Home Depot with black tinted windows, black and chrome rims, and 275/75R16's . I never knew a box van could look tough, but that one did. I had to catch the tire size and make, because they made the vehicle (along with the black color). I'd imagine this guy has a kick arse audio system with a bunch of bass in the back.

My stock 17's have 265/65R17 Bridgestones. They look OK, but IMHO are a bit low profile for a 4x4 full size pick up. Just jumping to a 265/75R17 would really fill the wheel well. I'd imagine a 275/75R17 would also fit snugly.

So a 265/70R16 could feasibly fit a 275/80R16 - but know your speedo would be off. I'd also ask the installer if you could take a spin around the parking lot to see if the tire rubs the wheel well and offer to pay to R/R to a smaller size if need be.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Well if you are just keeping the truck stock then a 265 75 16 is the biggest you can go without any rubbing. That is the size I am using, with no problems. Any larger and you would need a lift and possibly new wheels with a different offset.:)

Are you sure about this? I dont see why a 275/60/17 wont fit in a stock height truck. Tirerack recomments 8'' wide rims w/ 275/60/17 which are much closer to the original 245/70/16 size (only 1.64% off) while the factory upgrade 265/70/16 are 3.6% off compared to the base 245/70/16.

·
Ever the explorer
2,391 Posts
255/85/16 it sounds like with no lift aka stock.

The jury is still out some say it will work some say needs the pinch weld pinched. I am curious if it depends on the years?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ok, next question is, what's the widest tire you can go on the stock wheel - again, my stock tire is the 265/70/16? thanks again.

·
Registered
469 Posts
255/85/16 it sounds like with no lift aka stock.

The jury is still out some say it will work some say needs the pinch weld pinched. I am curious if it depends on the years?

a 255/85/16 is about a 33x10x16 tire. I'm not sure if that would fit a stock Tundra. I believe you would need a lift to fit just because of the height of the tire.

·
Premium Member
13,116 Posts
ok, next question is, what's the widest tire you can go on the stock wheel - again, my stock tire is the 265/70/16? thanks again.
I have 285s on a stock 17" wheel. So the rim itself will handle at least 285s. But I have a 2.5-inch (give or take) lift and had to put on wheel adapters to avoid rubbing.

If you are talking stock rims on an unmodified suspension, the biggest you can go is 265/75-16s.

·
Premium Member
11,253 Posts
If you are talking stock rims on an unmodified suspension, the biggest you can go is 265/75-16s.
Yup. In a compression turn they are just shy (like millimeters) from touching the mud flaps/fender flares/etc.

There have been some people who ran 285/75/16 on stock rims and stock truck, but they rubbed everything, including the upper control arm...the guy was limited to mellow street driving.

-Sean

·
Registered
54 Posts
would I need to get wheel adapters to run 255/85/16s? I am going to put the bilstein 5100's and want to throw some bigger tires on but would like to avoid wheel adapters

·
Premium Member
13,116 Posts
would I need to get wheel adapters to run 255/85/16s? I am going to put the bilstein 5100's and want to throw some bigger tires on but would like to avoid wheel adapters
Probably not, because you can run 265s without rubbing the UCA, so 255's should be no problem. But if you go to a bigger diameter, you might run into rubbing problems with the wheel well and adapters probably won't help you there.

·
Registered
54 Posts
yea I guess 285s would probably be a better bet just because of the selection of tires, I just dont want to drop the extra money on spacers but it looks like thats what ill have to do

·
Registered
609 Posts
You can go to 275/70-16 I did and no rubbing. Decided not to chance the 285's some say it rubs others say it does not.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts