Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 05 DC 4x4 TRD and it won't be long before I'll be needing a new set of tires. I absolutely love the BF Goodrich tires. I really have no desire to spend extra money on larger 17" rims, therefore I will be sticking with a 16" tire. The stock tires are P265x75R16. What is the biggest 16" tire I can put on without rubbing? Will I notice any power loss with a larger 16" tire? Thanks,

·
Registered
123 Posts
sorry about the 16 in rims
but I have 265-70-17
and thats as big as I would want to go
(stock no rubbing) and they fill the wheel well great
hear is a pict.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
612 Posts
I thought 265 65 16 were stock.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Both come stock, depends on trim (i.e. limited vs sr5, etc.)

Biggest you can go without rubbing I would say is either 275/70/16(wider), or 265/75/16(taller). if you do 285/75/16 you will rub.

·
Ever the explorer
2,391 Posts
possibly 255 x 85 x 16's

·
Registered
141 Posts
I have an 06 DC tundra and i know for a fact 285/75/16 will not fit without some major trimming of the front fenders... i went down a size after trying that to the 265/75/16 and it does fit. Only rubbing is the front right tire on the mud flap (remove the mud flaps and NO rub). but it only rubs when i have the wheel turned and the suspensions compressed. Truck looks a lot better and sits a lot nicer with the 265/75/16. The accel loss isnt too bad, but when you have alota weight in the truck you start to feel it.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Someone remind me. Which number represents the height (265 75R16)

·
Registered
225 Posts
So which look better, 265/65/16s or 265/75/16s???????

·
Registered
271 Posts
I have an 06 DC tundra and i know for a fact 285/75/16 will not fit without some major trimming of the front fenders... i went down a size after trying that to the 265/75/16 and it does fit. Only rubbing is the front right tire on the mud flap (remove the mud flaps and NO rub). but it only rubs when i have the wheel turned and the suspensions compressed. Truck looks a lot better and sits a lot nicer with the 265/75/16. The accel loss isnt too bad, but when you have alota weight in the truck you start to feel it.
I wonder why you have 16's on your 2006 and I have 17's. I definitely don't want to mess with fender trimming anything.

Chris

·
Ever the explorer
2,391 Posts
looks don't mean a whole lot to me.

How do they function in the terrain involved.
Thats the important question
Mud rain snow etc. Looks are relative.

·
Premium Member
13,116 Posts

·
Registered
971 Posts
265 75 16 Revo is what I'm using, tire dia. is 31.8" no problems with rubbing. The second no. 75 means that the sidewall height is 75% of the tire width which is 265 mm. As far as I know this is pretty much the biggest you can go without a lift and possibly a wheel with a different offset. I guess it also kind of depends on which particular tire you want to use as I have noticed on some different tire brands the identical size often has slightly different overall dia. likely due to different tread depth and pattern:)

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Someone asked why one truck had 16's and another truck had 17's. For some odd reason, regardless of which trim or drivetrain you had, Toyota put 16" wheels on all Tundra's equipped with the TRD package. I'm glad to see they aren't doing this for the 07 models.

·
Premium Member
11,634 Posts
Someone asked why one truck had 16's and another truck had 17's. For some odd reason, regardless of which trim or drivetrain you had, Toyota put 16" wheels on all Tundra's equipped with the TRD package. I'm glad to see they aren't doing this for the 07 models.
I don't have TRD, but I do have 16s.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts