Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've just acquired a 2006 Tundra with the factory bed liner. I've seen several posts about using 2x4, 2x6, etc for installing fork mounts. I see how the mounting beam would not move either to the front or back, but how do you avoid it bouncing up and out? Further, should you use pressure-treated lumber? Is anyone willing to share pics of thier installation (I'm much more of a visual guy). This just seems like the best (easiest) way to go. My old roof-mounted Thules seem like a distant happy memory now, but spring fever has me itching to get back up to the mountains! Any ideas or thoughts would be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
32 Posts
Yakima has a beddyJo, or Bedheads, both would work on your truck. Bedheads attach to the rail of the bed and are only for one bike, but you can buy multiple bedheads, a beddyjo sits in the bed and can attach two bikes.

·
Registered
932 Posts
Regular BedHead(s) attached to a precut 2x4 that is inserted into the factory bed liner works great, ran like that for years....
Yakima also makes several single bar type racks for P/Us

·
Premium Member
141 Posts
I've always used Ancra tie downs, just like I did in my motocross days. But I have had lots of friends use the bike mounts anchored into a 2 x 6 board. The weight of the bikes and board will keep them in the truck, no problem.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Definately go with the Yakima racks that come from the Toyota Dealer. I had some friends look into getting them from yakima direct (I work in the bike industry) and they are unavailable seemingly, except through Toyota. But, your other yakima lock cores will work and they are very easy to move on the rail system. Plus with the rail system, it is higher up and you can take the bike out of the back without getting in the bed of the truck. an added plus over the 2x8 on the bed of the truck! I ordred 4 mounts, and they keep trickling in about one a week. Anyway, they have a wide mouth on them to open past suspension adjustment knobs and/or lawyer tabs (saftey tabs). i'd recomend a tie down over the back wheels, just to be safe. I'll probably use a 2x8 for fork mounts at some point. I figured if i had enough, i could probably have 10 bikes in the back of my bed.

·
Premium Member
11,253 Posts
Do you have a welder, or a friend with one? My rack is a couple pieces of 1/4" plate, drilled for the bed mounting bolts, with a short piece of scrap tube holding a section of 1/8"x1x1 angle across the bed. There are holes drilled the entire way across, so the mounts can be positioned laterally wherever they're needed. In front of the angle, there's another stub of tube, with 1" tube sticking out towards the sides, and a couple of those front wheel holder things on the tube.

The fork things are Yakima, same as the Locking Blockheads. You can order them in "bulk" and have them all keyed the same.

If you're ok with bars sticking out past the bedsides a bit, you can easily fit four bikes without turning the bars.

Also, keeping them low like this means they fit under a cap, if you have one. It's a really low profile setup, I can fit all the trail gear in the truck with a pair of MTBs. If you look in my Klondike Bluffs/Tower Arch gallery you can kinda see how it works out, there's only one bike in that shoot tho.

-Sean

·
Registered
1 Posts
Use ratchet tie downs to hold your bike upright in the bed like a motorbike (hooks in lower tie down loops in bed and on bike handlebars- 2 tie downs per bike - I can fit up to 4 bikes this way although that can become a bit of a puzzle. For one or 2 bikes, very easy). Cheap, works, and you don't have to take the wheel off.

Thule and Yakima don't want you to know this fact.

·
Registered
9 Posts
If you do have the tundra truckbed track rail system, head straight for the rocky mounts clutch sd bike rack mounts. Rockymounts makes these babies specifically for the new model toyota truck bed track rail, and they just upgraded them with an even beefier mount so they won't ever loosen up or pop out (like the toyota brand does) when off-roading. You can't beat the price and even comes with a lock!

·
Registered
447 Posts
I post meaningless dribble.
That wasn't meaningless....the meaning of it was that you post dribble, which, yes, appears to be true....but you are being hard on yourself by saying meaningless....

For future reference, here is an example of meaningless dribble "John elephant blue bicker bicycle apricot hello apron"

Thank you for reading this meaningFULL post....

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
14 Posts
I am using a Thule Instagaiter, you don't have to remove the front wheel and it is easily removed and it can be locked.

·
Registered
127 Posts
My solution.

This way I can lock my cover with my gear in it. Can retract the cover to get at stuff.

The towers have a quick release so it comes off quickly.

You can get pretty well whatever tray you like(fork or frame mount)

Now that my youngest is riding a big bike, I am gonna have to get another tray!

GC

1 - 12 of 12 Posts