Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys,

I know that many of you are running the 5100 billy's and love them. And after some careful reading am seeing that installing a ready lift leveling kit can lead to some problems down the road. So my reading has lead me to think that a good way to level my truck, upgrade the shocks abit and keep everything in good running order for the long term is to go with the 5100 adjustable shocks.

Now my question is after reading through Bilstein's website pretty good, have noticed that for the 04' and newer DC's the adjustment is less than the previous years. Any one got an idea on how much these would raise the front of my truck?

The chart at the bottom of page 2 of this PDF of installation instructions from Bilstein is where I am getting this data.

Thoughts?

OR anyone out there with a 04'-06' DC install the adjustable shocks?? If so how much can you adjust the height of the front of the truck?

·
Premium Member
177 Posts
I have an 06 with the Adjustable shocks. Love em. I have mine set on the second to highest setting. At the time the truck set level but since then I have also installed some Firestone air bags which added another inch to the back with maybe 5lbs of air in them. Also keep in mind that the shocks will settle a bit after a while meaning they will sit lower then when new.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I was wondering if anybody would know if bilstien 5100 2.5" leveling shocks, will fit my 06 tundra SR5 double cab that has a 2" leveling kit already? need to know before i buy them.

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
I was wondering if anybody would know if bilstien 5100 2.5" leveling shocks, will fit my 06 tundra SR5 double cab that has a 2" leveling kit already? need to know before i buy them.
No, you cannot run the 5100s and spacers.

OP I have an '06 DC and I set it on their 2" setting and I got exactly 2" of lift. ;)

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have an 06 with the Adjustable shocks. Love em. I have mine set on the second to highest setting. At the time the truck set level but since then I have also installed some Firestone air bags which added another inch to the back with maybe 5lbs of air in them. Also keep in mind that the shocks will settle a bit after a while meaning they will sit lower then when new.

Thanks for the info. Do you know how much of of a lift you have now on it? So if I am understanding you correctly, you NOW have it set on the 2nd to highest, and that is in a result to the bags being installed on the rear? Also is yours a TRD or what shocks were there before the bags? What notch did you have them set on before the bags?

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
^ You can use the Bilstein 5100s with your spacer but you cannot add anymore lift. So youd use the 5100 on the stock perch setting (normal ride height).

·
2015 Toyota Tundra DC SR5 5.7L
8,536 Posts
^ You can use the Bilstein 5100s with your spacer but you cannot add anymore lift. So youd use the 5100 on the stock perch setting (normal ride height).
No, you wouldn't run the 5100s at stock ride height along with the spacers. That defeats the whole purpose of the adjustable shock design! To do this 2" lift properly, you remove the spacer lift and replace it with the 6929 front Bilsteins set at the 4th notch (2nd from top).

Note that some spacer lift designs (like my old one) use a replacement upper shock mount (top plate) with longer studs. To go back to a straight shock install (like the 5100s), will require a stock upper shock mount with stock mounting stud lengths and the coil isolator pad. You can buy replacement studs and the coil isolators from Wheelers, which require you to bang out the extended length studs, or you can buy replacement Moog upper shock mounts (part #K90726). They run about $45-$50 each. (Toyota charges $90 each.)

Pic --\/

·
Registered
6,755 Posts
Funny how every time there's a 5100 thread, somebody chimes in to ask for shock recommendation.:rolleyes: Get front and rear 5100s, can't go wrong. 90% of guys here have them and are happy. Note, rear 5100s offer no lift, they accommodate for lift, but they don't add lift.

Carlsenga, most guys on here don't run these on top notch, it compresses the springs quite a bit. Seems to be 4th notch is what gets you about level, there was a white double cab here somewhere that just installed 5100s and it came out nice. Find him, he can tell you exactly how much lift he got, but it's usually 2-2.5". It's a good choice, can't really go wrong.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Funny how every time there's a 5100 thread, somebody chimes in to ask for shock recommendation.:rolleyes: Get front and rear 5100s, can't go wrong. 90% of guys here have them and are happy. Note, rear 5100s offer no lift, they accommodate for lift, but they don't add lift.

Carlsenga, most guys on here don't run these on top notch, it compresses the springs quite a bit. Seems to be 4th notch is what gets you about level, there was a white double cab here somewhere that just installed 5100s and it came out nice. Find him, he can tell you exactly how much lift he got, but it's usually 2-2.5". It's a good choice, can't really go wrong.

Tundrnk.. most guys don't have the 04' pr newer DC and haven't reported their lift amount with th 5100's. And I did my searching on bilstein website and the total adjustment according to manufacturer that the DC's adjust differently(as far as height) and that is what I am trying to figure out.

Any idea on which member you are talking about?

·
Registered
424 Posts
jjsinaz, here goes the thread. http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forums/1gen-tundra/210599-boots-on-front-bilstein-5100-a/
I think the DC's come with a slightly stiffer spring rate to help with the extra weight, might make it harder to compress fully(to top notch) so that could be what limits lift. I'm just taking a guess though.
Yea, you're probably right. I have mine on the 4th notch and I used the old top rubber bushing in order to get the nut on without having to compress the spring more. It'd been a bi#$ch to compress the spring that much further to get to the top notch

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
No, you wouldn't run the 5100s at stock ride height along with the spacers. That defeats the whole purpose of the adjustable shock design! To do this 2" lift properly, you remove the spacer lift and replace it with the 6929 front Bilsteins set at the 4th notch (2nd from top).

If the guy asking the question has a 2" spacer then yes he WOULD run them at the stock perch setting. I never said to do it, dont get ya panties in a bunch. :cool:

Obviously if someone is getting 5100s they know its better than a 2" spacer and would remove the spacer and run the 5100s at whatever lift perch they choose. But the fact still remains you CAN use 5100s with a spacer lift.

·
2015 Toyota Tundra DC SR5 5.7L
8,536 Posts
If the guy asking the question has a 2" spacer then yes he WOULD run them at the stock perch setting. I never said to do it, dont get ya panties in a bunch. :cool:
I was simply clarifying your reply. By stating it is perfectly acceptable to run the 5100s with a spacer lift simply because it is possible makes no sense. You give the impression that it is an appropriate suspension setup. It isn't. It's stupid and counterproductive.

Obviously if someone is getting 5100s they know its better than a 2" spacer and would remove the spacer and run the 5100s at whatever lift perch they choose.
Huge assumption on your part, and a conclusion not borne out by anecdotal evidence nor experience. Have you counted how many times we have guys come on here wanting to know where to get spacers to stack on top of their 5100s because they think they are doing a poor-man's end-around on an RCD 4.5" lift?

But the fact still remains you CAN use 5100s with a spacer lift.
Sure can. And you can probably install a cross-bed truck box and a tonneau cover at the same time. Doesn't mean it makes any sense to talk about the possibility.

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
Jesus Christ man....

If someone were to run 5100s w/ a spacer, the would run them at the normal ride height perch, not a lifted perch. Thats all I was saying.

Whether its right or wrong according to remmy I could care less but it can be done. Unlike most people I do my research before jumping into things so Id know to run 5100s and not even waste my time or money on a spacer lift.

·
Registered
36 Posts
04 DC with 5100s on 4th perch....argree it woulda been a pain to get it to the 5th perch but the 4th is nice...had em on for 10,000 miles...no real loss in ride height...and waaaaay better than stock ride quality

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
04 DC with 5100s on 4th perch....argree it woulda been a pain to get it to the 5th perch but the 4th is nice...had em on for 10,000 miles...no real loss in ride height...and waaaaay better than stock ride quality

Does it even out the rake of the truck to a more "level" position?

·
Registered
6,755 Posts
2" should get you leveled out. 2.5'' usually gets reported as slightly taller up front, I know double cabs are heavier and this may be an access cab thing, but 4th notch is most likely the safe bet for level.

Here is an older pic of me next to some hot girl's stock truck(she wasn't impressed:dry3d:), this is at 4" lift up front, no lift out back, you can get an idea that 2" would have sat level, as my fender gap was +2'' up front compared to out back(from tire it was 5.5" in back, 7.5" up front). Again, I have an access cab but they sit the same from stock. I'm going to miss those palm trees when I move. :unsure3d:

·
Registered
424 Posts
Does it even out the rake of the truck to a more "level" position?
Carl,

I have the same truck you do and I just put these on on Thursday. Yes, it leveled the truck (I did nothing to the back, its at stock height). I think you'll be really pleased with the look and you'll love the way the truck handles

Here's before and after pics. They are taken in the driveway, which is a little uphill but you can get the idea. I love the new look

Attachments

1 - 20 of 27 Posts