Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. I need some help. I purchased Bilstein 5100 adjustable and OME 885 coil springs to lift the front of my 2001 Tundra 4x4 TRD. My mechanic (who is certified and has installed dozens of lift kits) called with an issue. The OME coils are smaller at the top than the stock springs and the stock strut mount and isolator are too big. I called TOYTEC (where I purchased the OME 885's) and Miles told me they never heard of this problem. Now I am stuck and have no idea what to do. Can anyone give me solid advice? I searched the web for hours with no luck. Thank you in advance!

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
I would call TOYTEC back with the physical measurements of the coils they sent you and have them check to see if by mistake they sent you the incorrect coil spring. They sell different coils and there is a chance that someone either mislabeled a box or somehow they got switched. I would also double-check the Bilsteins to ensure that they are the correct shocks too. Reminds me of the time I switched out three belts on my old Toyota PU. Drove to Pepboys and purchased three belts and came home and took off the old belts only to find out that they gave me two incorrect belts. Back on go the old belts and another trip to PepBoys. Get home and remove the two old belts only to find out that this time they gave me one incorrect belt so back to the store. This time I checked the size at the store. Learned a good lesson, never assume that anyone gave you the correct part.

·
Registered
6,777 Posts
Don't some OME coils use Taco isolators?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I saw something where guys have used Taco isolators and aftermarket mounts, but unsure if they did this due to the same problem that I am experiencing. The springs are both labeled 885's.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The Bilsteins are correct. My mechanic installed them with the stock springs/ 4th notch. I still really want the OME's under there, though.

·
Registered
6,777 Posts
Yeah hit up Dan as Sucker suggested. There are a few OME threads floating here you could check out.

·
Registered
187 Posts
You need Tacoma isolators. I ordered 2004 Tacoma KYB brand isolators from rock auto for mine, or you can just trim the stock ones down with a razor knife and patients.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks, guys for all of the good advice. It is very appreciated. I called Dan at Wheelers. He confirmed that I need Taco isolators to complete the job. Toytec claimed they have done 100's of these and nothing more needed to be purchased. Toytec lost a customer and Wheelers got a loyal one. I am glad that I did get the Bilsteins from Wheelers.

·
Registered
6,777 Posts
Bummer for Toytec, they're normally solid on this kind of thing. Dan won't steer you wrong, I've talked to him many times.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thanks, guys for all of the good advice. It is very appreciated. I called Dan at Wheelers. He confirmed that I need Taco isolators to complete the job. Toytec claimed they have done 100's of these and nothing more needed to be purchased. Toytec lost a customer and Wheelers got a loyal one. I am glad that I did get the Bilsteins from Wheelers.
Hi wagydag glad to hear it worked out for you, Im new to the 1st gen Tundra world and I've been haveing a hard time finding more information regarding this OME 885s on 1st gen Tundras.
How are you liking the ride quality with the OME 885?
are you running the 5100 or the lowest notch ?
How much lift did you manage to get and did you have any issues with the UCAs touching the coils at full droop ?
Some pictures would be really appreciated : )

1 - 11 of 11 Posts