Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well guys, I am new to the site. And I have searched for the answer to my question for two days now.... Nobody has the answer and Bilsteins customer support is closed.....

So here goes, I am in the process of installing my 5100 adjustables on my 2000 2wd Access cab.... Well... As you all already know, the instructions are terrible... I moved the ring up to the top notch. (gonna add a 1" block in the back to level.) That part was easy, but the instructions are kinda confusing with how the bumbstops are supposed to be put on the new shocks. The old stock ones have (from the bottom) A washer, Bumpstop, mounting plate, bumpstop, last washer, and finally the nut. Well Instructions look like they are telling you to put the two bumpstops together sandwhiched between the washers underneath the mounting plate... So I installed the new ones like the instructions led me to believe..... But then I realized there is no washer up top!!! this worried me a little..... So I felt like I installed them incorrectly and maybe they were supposed to be installed the way the old ones were. So I did the second one this way.... It feels really tight!!!!! I had to compress the spring quite a bit more to do this way... But I understand the tighter spring may just be from the leveling...

I really need your help on this guys... Which order should the bumpstops go ont??? I was really hoping to get this done today.... :mad:

Thanks,

Will

·
2015 Toyota Tundra DC SR5 5.7L
8,540 Posts
It's been a while since I had mine done, but see the pics below. The diagram is from Bilstein Germany and shows the order on the rear shocks, but it should also be applicable to the front (minus the positioning washer).

The other pic is of my 5100s before installation. If you look closely at the bottom strut, you can see the order of the bushings and washers.

(Disregard the rears in the pic... the order is actually wrong; the dark washer is used between the lower bushing and the underside of the rear shock mount)
HTHs.

Attachments

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Awesome! That is how I did it originally. With the two bumpers sandwiched together. So there is no washer on the top of the mounting plate correct? I don't see how it would even fit because it was really hard getting that top nut to grab the threads. It almost seemed like the shaft was almost too short.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
OK and just to get it straight.... Cause I really don't want to put it on wrong... Cause these spring compressors are a pain! haha

So the order from the bottom will be: Washer, Bumper, Bumper, Washer, mounting plate, and nut. Correct???

I have done struts on cars but they were always a little different from this setup.

Thanks for your help man!

Will

·
Premium Member
2,152 Posts
Uh.... :facepalm:

No, I guess the SIMPLEST answer to your question is:

From BOTTOM up:

Washer, bushing (only ONE bushing goes on here; either use the bushing hardmounted onto the bottom of the plate, OR, replace it with a bilstein bushing. DONT use BOTH) , MOUNTING PLATE, bushing, washer, nut.

After you get it together, you WILL have one bushing left over from each strut: EITHER one of the bushings that came with the Bilsteins, OR the bushing that is hardmounted to, and came with the mounting plate.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok, sorry the pics confused me haha. I have the original mounting plate. So I am gonna have to use the new bushings which came with the shock. So the mounting plate will go between the bushings correct? image.jpg . . image.jpg

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks man. No idea how frustrating this has been. Lol. Done a lot of struts but mainly on cars. And not the bilsteins. Thanks for your help!

Will

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I got them on Saturday!!!! It looks so much better! Just need to put the 1" block in the rear and it will be good to go! I am surprised at how well it rides! I thought it would be really tight up front but it almost seems better than before! Need to get the alignment done now.

image.jpg . image.jpg

Need some bigger tires and new wheels now! :)

·
Registered
86 Posts
Trying to complete this install now and ran into a potential issue.. I had the coils assembled by a local shop and it looks like they didn't place the bushing on the top of the mounting plate like the image below:

On mine the top washer is flush to the mounting plate. Now the obvious... Did they screw the pooch here and do I need to bring these back? :(

·
Registered
86 Posts
Yeah.. Figured. This is turning into one problem after another. I gave the shop everything and told them how I wanted it together, but didn't catch this until I got home. I don't know where my other bushings disappeared to.

IMG_20130420_130727-XL.jpg

IMG_20130420_131007-XL.jpg

IMG_20130420_131037-XL.jpg

1 - 15 of 15 Posts