Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone -

I read in multiple places that the Bilstein 5100 front leveling struts cannot be used on the Sequoias with the factory air-ride rear suspension.

Can someone validate for me if this is indeed true? Why/Why not?

I've looked around but can't seem to find any information about why this won't work.

I like this solution and want to buy the shocks but of course if it won't work I need to look at other solutions.

Thanks in advance for your help,

Matt

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Where did you read this? It makes no sense. You can level the front any way you want, but the rear you're stuck with the factory AHC. Go ahead and level it I say!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's what I was thinking. It does not make any sense unless lifting the front somehow throws-off the rear air ride????

2 of the Bilstein distributor sites both mention that the 5100 kits are not to be used with air ride. Maybe they mean that the entire kit (F/R) cannot be used because of the airbags.

A buddy owns a company that distributes Ranco and they have a kit. I will have him check with the Ranco rep.

Thanks,

Matt

·
Registered
206 Posts
I'm with big-o, makes no sense. If I remember correctly you can set the rear air to whatever height you want correct? Can you get 2 inches out of it? If so level the front and air up the back. That's easier than the lift I installed in the rear!

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Nem, I'm not sure. If I remember right, the rear ride control will change depending on speed? You may not be able to keep it set to the highest setting all the time, unless you have it modified. I do know that this is similar if not the same set up as on the Lexus version GX and LX470's, and on some well optioned Land Cruisers. Some of those guys have been able to go through Slee Offroad to purchase a module that allows you to set the rear to the desired setting and have it stay there. It could also work for the Sequoia if you're willing to try it. When you're all done with the front modifications, you may need to have the Yaw/VSC sensors calibrated at the dealership to make sure everything is good to go.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Great info Big-O,

I just read this and it looks like it will offer me a solution as I am finally going to be getting my Coilovers soon.

Thanks! sounds like I need to call Slee and see if this will work on my Sequoia.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Cool...I'm glad you'll be getting some coilovers...post some pics Padron. Also if you talk to Slee, just know that they haven't worked on a Sequoia and may not be too willing to chat about it on the phone from my experience. You may have to inquire about the Cruiser AHC modifications and try to apply it yourself. Good luck.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Thanks again for the great info,

Yea, sadly it seems that they haven't got into Sequoia aftermarket support yet....hopefully things will change. I will keep it in mind that the don't mod the Sequoias yet, but if it works for mine perhaps it will open up another market for them.

·
Premium Member
180 Posts
Sorry to drag up an old thread. I am going to install Bilstein 5100's on my Sequoia next weekend while replacing the tie rods.

Has anyone ever figured out a way to lift the rear of the Sequoia's that have the automatic height control option (AHC)?

According to this and other threads, the LX470 AHC Controller from Slee Off Road doesn't work. Has this been confirmed?

It looks like I can adjust the AHC system under the truck to keep the air bags more full, and perhaps get up to 1.57" of lift, but would rather have a more elegant solution.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
I'm not sure that anyone has every looked seriously into the LCruiser controller for the Sequoia. Your only option may be to rip out the hydraulics for the AHC and go with springs and shocks. If you can manipulate the AHC to ride higher, go with it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts