Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 5100s will be here Monday for my 01 Access back. I'm running Revo 265 75 16s on it. I've done searches for similar trucks with the adjustable 5100s with little success. Anyone have pictures of similar trucks with the front shocks set on the higher notches?

·
Super Moderator
2015 Toyota Tundra DC SR5 5.7L
8,562 Posts
Goose,
I have the same size tires on my AC. I have the DayStar 2.25" lift which would be the equivalent of the 5100s set on the highest setting. At least you can see how the tire fits the wheel well. Pics in my album.

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
Heres a couple.......

http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forums/1gen-tundra/156481-bilstein-5100-setting-should-i-choose-4/
I just got back from picking up my truck up from the shop, had the 5100's installed all the way around.

I've only been on them for about 10 miles of city driving so I can't provide a lot of feedback yet, but I'm going on a couple hundred mile trip this weekend that will include at least 30 miles of dirt/rock/double track roads. I should have a better report by next week.

There were five(5) height notches on the front shocks.

I have them installed on the MIDDLE (3rd) Position.

The rears increased the height over my stock originals by about an inch as well.

For the record, my truck is a 2002, 4WD V8 Limited with 123k miles.

Here are some pics.

Front Height

Rear height

tire size because I know someone will ask

http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forums/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=1472104
Just got back home from the shop. I ended up getting my buddies shop to do it for $150 which worked out great. I love it, now I wish I would have gotten 35s :)

This is with Mickey Thompson Baja MTZ 305/70R16 (33x12.50x16) tires. I friggin love them. The whole ordeal with tires, shocks, blocks, and labor cost me under $1600 thanks to a good friend IRL who gave me a few good deals as well as Shockwarehouse and Wheelers.

Before:

After:

Before:

After:

Another random after pic:
:third:

·
Premium Member
533 Posts
I Have Yokohama Geolanders 265/70/17's of FJ cruiser rims with 5100's all round the fronts are set at its highest and my rear end has a daystar 1.25" block in and I installed the diff drop. This is what mine looks like.

Attachments

·
Registered
567 Posts
Heres mine back when i had just the 5100's at highest notch with 285/70/17's

Andrew

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the Replies...

I like the stance of the grey 2000. It also has the same tire size that I'm currently running. I will either go with the 3rd or 4th setting on the front. If I do that will I still need to do the CV boot modification???

·
Registered
567 Posts
it probably wouldn't hurt since it is only a couple bucks to do. you can probably even do the diff drop if you want to spend the 30 bucks on it.

Andrew

·
Registered
3 Posts
Nice trucks guys...here is mine with a Icon Coilovers and 5100 in rear...i think i got about 2 1/2 inches lift...tires are 285x75x16 yokohama Geolanders....

Attachments

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well I should have my 5100s installed tomorrow evening or Tues morning.

I've read for hours on here about the diff drop, cv boot leaks, and notch setting.

I didn't order the diff drop, yet would like to raise my front end a little. Will I be safe with the middle setting without screwing something up? I have 120K miles on my original Bilsteins (and they are shot). I'd like to get that many miles on my 5100s without doing damage to my front end parts.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Back in the 5100 days...4th notch, 265's, no lift in rear.:tu:

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
I didn't order the diff drop, yet would like to raise my front end a little. Will I be safe with the middle setting without screwing something up?

I cant really speak on it since I dont have a 4wd but from my many hours of searching through Bilstein threads theres been quite a few post that dont waste money on the diff drop.

Most everyone says though to do the cv boot mod (porsche boots) or add extra hose clamps to your stock cv boots.

·
Premium Member
533 Posts
I think you should be just fine! Would anyone here who happens to see this post know which porche 930 CV bbots to get to solve the CV greese leak issue? I replaced my CV's cos my shop told me they are shot. When I collected them I saw there is noting wrong with them so I wanna replace the boots and keep them till the napa ones die.

·
Registered
567 Posts
I bought 6 hose clamps today... 3/4-1 3/4".... I could't find any 2". will these work for the CV boots?
You need 4" clamps. its the big ends on the inner CV boots that tend to pull away and leak grease

Andrew

·
Registered
1,926 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well I got the right hose clips now. I crawed under my truck this evening for the 1st time in a while to find the CV boots. Looks to me like mine have been slinging grease for a while,,, And its bone stock. So I go over to my dads and crawl under his truck, which is just like mine. His has been doing it too just not nearly as bad. I started off blaming mine on a rack and pinion job that I had done under warranty not long after I bought my truck in 01.

So I might be replacing more than shocks in the morning. Assuming my CV joints are ok, should I get the shop to put the hose clamps on the boots while they are doing the job?

For everyones info, the shop is charging $156 plus tax to install the 5100s and $50 to do the front end allignment afterwards.

As of now I'm going with the middle notch. Which brings me the next question... How does that c clip change the hight of the shock? I was expecting something more heavy duty.

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
How does that c clip change the hight of the shock? I was expecting something more heavy duty.
Its heavy duty.....dont worry.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Just getting under the truck is about half the work on putting on those hose clamps, if the shop is going to charge you i'd say do them yourself but for free let them do it.

The higher the setting on the c clip the more preload on the spring and that is what is giving you the lift.

Andrew

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well I got the 5100s installed this morning. It took about two hours not including the allignment. Total cost at the shop was $187. Other than my stearing wheel not being "square" I'm very happy. I went with the middle notch and it gave me close to 2" lift in the front just by me eyeballing my measuring tape before and after. There is no change in the hight of the rear. My rear sits about a half inch higher than the front.

I forgot all about the 4" clamps at the shop.... I will put them on myself later.

Thanks for all the helpful info here!

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
1 - 20 of 20 Posts