Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello there forum members. First post here, would just like to say hello...with a great question! But first, i'll introduce myself.

Purchased a 2006 DC Limited with TRD package with 56,000 miles lately. Did a ton of research into lift kits, unibody ball joints, coilover packages (which are damn pricey) and adjustable suspension components (like the 5100s). There is one big question I can't seam to find anything to help me answer with though.

A lot of guys seam to be buying the 5100s just for the front. This seams to make sense, because they want to level the truck out. Would it hurt to put them in the rear to also raise it? Or are guys putting a 1" block in the rear as the cheap way of doing this?

My main question is...i'm looking to get a 2-3 inch lift out of the truck overall and im stuck on buying coilovers for the truck or just sticking the Bilstein 5100s in the TRD springs. No one has really done this from what I can find, so i'm curious as to what you guys think.

Well...lets hear it!

**please post pictures if you can, describing what you did!**

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
my truck is an TRD and i threw some 5100's with stock springs and they work. if you have the $$ for C/O, i would go that route. i went with 5100's because i'm broke right now. :D anyhow i got my 5100's on the top notch with a 1.5 AAL in the rear. 1" diff drop and hose clamps OVER fact clamps. check gallery for pics!

·
Premium Member
249 Posts
The rear 5100's do not provide any lift by themselves. They are just longer to allow up to 2" of lift from Blocks or Leafs.

The Bilstein Coilovers are not recommended for the DC, only the RC or AC. So 5100's with your springs for cheap, or more expensive coilovers than the Bilsteins if you prefer the coilover option.

·
Premium Member
249 Posts
News to me. On what basis are you making this recommendation?
Lots of posts here as well as notations in the manufacturer and seller web sites. The springs are not optimum for the DC and only provide up to 1.5" of lift on the DC. And if that is the case, I doubt that you would want to take them off road at all.

Bilstein

·
Registered
6,755 Posts
^ That's news to me too, if the springs need to be stiffer for the extra weight, Toytec offers 650lbs and 700lbs springs on their coilovers. They are very close to the bilstein in design, using 5100s with threaded collars. If you have trd springs, go ahead and get 5100s for the front. The rears won't lift you up but will balance the ride.

BTW, bilstein recommends no more than 1'' of lift for the rear with their rear 5100s. That's all their made for, according to them. 2'' is too much.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
my truck is an TRD and i threw some 5100's with stock springs and they work. if you have the $$ for C/O, i would go that route. i went with 5100's because i'm broke right now. :D anyhow i got my 5100's on the top notch with a 1.5 AAL in the rear. 1" diff drop and hose clamps OVER fact clamps. check gallery for pics!
Your truck has the EXACT stance i'm looking for. Beautiful ride mate. Approximately how much did all your equipment run you up, and how big of an actual lift did your truck achieve?

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
Your truck has the EXACT stance i'm looking for. Beautiful ride mate. Approximately how much did all your equipment run you up, and how big of an actual lift did your truck achieve?
thanks. originally the toyotec kit was $223 shipped to my door through Home - Toytec Lifts: Toyota Lift Kits: FJ Cruiser Lift Kits, Tacoma Lift Kits, Tundra Lift Kits, 4 Runner Lift Kits, Sequoia Lift Kits, Toyota Truck Lift Kits. i mentioned TS.com and got a discount. the 5100's were $162 shipped to my door through shockwharehouse.com.

looking through toyotec, you can get the diff drop for 30 bucks and the rear AAL for 80 bucks.

as far as how much lift i gained, i don't know. i didn't measure anything, i just got too excited and installed them. :D

highly recommend 285's. i got 265's and wish everyday i had 285's.

·
Registered
587 Posts
The rear 5100's do not provide any lift by themselves. They are just longer to allow up to 2" of lift from Blocks or Leafs.

The Bilstein Coilovers are not recommended for the DC, only the RC or AC. So 5100's with your springs for cheap, or more expensive coilovers than the Bilsteins if you prefer the coilover option.
OK so I'm really confused now. What is the difference between the "Bilstein Coilovers" and the "5100's". I know the 5100's are the shocks with the notices in them and can lift the truck up to 2.5". So when you say "Bilstein Coilovers" are you talking about the Toytec coilovers?

And since I searched and couldn't find this out I'll ask here. What if I do the 5100's on a nonTRD DC? Will this give me enough lift to run the 285's (33") tire? If anyone has done this please let me know. I did look into it and found out it's the coil and shock that is different on the TRD, i thought it was only the shock. Any help would be great I've had this thing for less then a week and I'm tired of driving a low rider!:worshiptoyota:

·
Registered
587 Posts
Oh and integraGSR Do you have the toytec spacers with the 5100's? I think I got lost on that one too.

P.S. Salsa Red Pearl Tundra's rule!!!

·
Registered
429 Posts
OK so I'm really confused now. What is the difference between the "Bilstein Coilovers" and the "5100's". I know the 5100's are the shocks with the notices in them and can lift the truck up to 2.5". So when you say "Bilstein Coilovers" are you talking about the Toytec coilovers?

And since I searched and couldn't find this out I'll ask here. What if I do the 5100's on a nonTRD DC? Will this give me enough lift to run the 285's (33") tire? If anyone has done this please let me know. I did look into it and found out it's the coil and shock that is different on the TRD, i thought it was only the shock. Any help would be great I've had this thing for less then a week and I'm tired of driving a low rider!:worshiptoyota:

It's time that you post pics of the new ride..... I may have missed it tho...

Anyway, the Bilstein 5100's are an adjustable shock. Just like you said, they have notches to adjust the bottom spring perch. This requires a trip to the shop everytime you wish to adjust. They utilize the existing, stock spring. The bilstein (aka ToyTec) coilover includes a new Eibach spring and utilizes the same 5100 shock, but has a threaded body, so that you can simply use a spanner wrench to adjust ride height. It's a simple bolt-on replacement system. Plenty of info on the difference b/w the two with a search.

I can't answer your question as to 5100 application on a non-TRD. I don't think there's much difference. It will certainly work, but the amount of lift you achieve will likely be different. In fact, I am led to believe that even if if you have a TRD it will vary. For example, when I had 5100's on top notch, I got 3.25" lift:eek:. It was too much, and much more than advertised. I have TRD.

·
Registered
587 Posts
I'll post some pictures up soon. I hope I get a solid 3" out of the 5100's that would be perfect for the look I want.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Here is the before and after for the Toytec Coilovers. I really like the ride, its smooth as hell. I would have liked a little more height out of it but 2.5" is fine with me. The rear AAL is not installed yet.

It sits close to level with out the AAL

·
Registered
429 Posts
Very nice! Toyota really should have rolled these off the lot with a stance like that....looks normal.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Ya I agree, its kinda sad that I had to lift it 2.5" to make it look normal. I would rather lift it 2.5" and make it look like its been lifted 2.5" inches. I think I'll be happy when I get my wheels and tires put on. They should give me another inch or two.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts