Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After doing a crap load of research and reading numerous threads, I finally had bilstein 5100's installed in the front. Let me say "best money spent". They are awesome. The ride is a little stiffer but I actually like it better. They leveled out my truck very nice (2nd or middle setting), with just a little bit of rake in the front. Haven't actually measured, but I would say somewhere around 1/2 inch lower than the back. Something I can live with. I didn't want to go full lift and have the front higher. I was going to do the install myself but decided to have 4 wheel parts do it instead. I didn't want any headaches. They did a great job and at a decent price. I'm so pleased that I am going to put them on the rear as well, in the coming weeks. Thanks to all the members who have posted threads on their 5100's. All of that input really helped.

·
Premium Member
16 Posts
How much did 4wheel charge for the whole package?

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
sorry for the late reply, been away for awhile. Shocks were $209 and install was $350.

·
Registered
4 Posts
$350 for labor? Anyway, I really think the 5100 is a huge step in the right direction. My truck handles flat with them and 35s even without the swaybar. It could use more rebound valving but it is leaps and bounds ahead of the factory shocks.

·
Registered
2 Posts
After doing a crap load of research and reading numerous threads, I finally had bilstein 5100's installed in the front. Let me say "best money spent". They are awesome. The ride is a little stiffer but I actually like it better. They leveled out my truck very nice (2nd or middle setting), with just a little bit of rake in the front. Haven't actually measured, but I would say somewhere around 1/2 inch lower than the back. Something I can live with. I didn't want to go full lift and have the front higher. I was going to do the install myself but decided to have 4 wheel parts do it instead. I didn't want any headaches. They did a great job and at a decent price. I'm so pleased that I am going to put them on the rear as well, in the coming weeks. Thanks to all the members who have posted threads on their 5100's. All of that input really helped.
Congrats!

I need to replace the shocks on my 2011 and thinking about Bilstein 5100s too. How is feeling compared to the stock shocks? I do not want too be too stiffs. In fact, I am happy with the stock comfort.

Stock shocks are usually crappy, so need to spend money anyway, so thinking of getting something better. Please tell me your thoughts. Thanks.

·
Registered
8 Posts
i was thinking the same thing about going with the bilstein 5100s. i was looking at fox 2.0 shocks but they are way out of the price rang and dont come in just a strut for the front only coilover.

·
Registered
1 Posts
This is good to hear. I have 60k on my truck and the stock shocks are worn the hell out. Now is the time to do something if im going to do it.
Love the idea of a 2" lift and the 5100s are in the right price range. I know I can do the rears myself. May take the fronts in to be done.
Did you need a diff drop for your setup?

·
Registered
106 Posts
It's a good idea to get the fronts done at a shop. The springs are under quite a bit of tension in those struts, and a good quality spring compressor is a must.
A diff drop isn't usually necessary. If you put the front strut adjusters on the highest setting, it can prematurely wear the C/V joints, so a diff drop can be beneficial.

This is good to hear. I have 60k on my truck and the stock shocks are worn the hell out. Now is the time to do something if im going to do it.
Love the idea of a 2" lift and the 5100s are in the right price range. I know I can do the rears myself. May take the fronts in to be done.
Did you need a diff drop for your setup?

·
Registered
12 Posts
So then, the better way to go is the Bilstein 5100s rather than spacers? Whats the difference? Are the Bilstiens less likely to damage the lower ball joints?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Bilstein 5100s are better/safer than spacers for the money, a lot of tundra trucks are experiencing the lower mount shaft protruding into the strut body upon failure. Bilstein design the 5100s as a simpler way to lift/level out front.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Mornin guys,
Thnx for the advice on the 5100s. love them. Only issue I have is that the rears give me 3.5" (w/3" spacer) and the fronts only 2.5”. Its only slightly noticeable to m but now bugs me just knowing it. What would be the better option? Make up the 1” on the front w/spacer or drop 1" on the rear? Any input would be appreciated.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Congrats!

I need to replace the shocks on my 2011 and thinking about Bilstein 5100s too. How is feeling compared to the stock shocks? I do not want too be too stiffs. In fact, I am happy with the stock comfort.

Stock shocks are usually crappy, so need to spend money anyway, so thinking of getting something better. Please tell me your thoughts. Thanks.
i bought my 5100s adjustable put them in the middle setting,now the front and back are level.i love it it looks so much better.

·
Registered
97 Posts
New guy here just installing the 5100's. It all started with a broken leaf spring, so ordered Alcan Springs original height 1,000 lbs more load. The coachbuilder shackles give it 1" lift in the rear, so I had to use the adjustable Bilsteins and the backs are already made for 1" lift. Back is done and feels better already. Now getting ready to do the fronts. Anyways, anyone else have a leaf spring break? If the one I took off is original, then Toyota is getting them from Stanley Springs in El Paso Texas.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts