Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, does anyone know of a supplier that provides aftermarket bushings to replace the one on the bottom of the strut for a 2001 Tundra, TRD suspension? Poly would be nice but rubber would be fine... the one on the drivers side on my tundra is gone but strut is fine... toyota only sells the complete strut for $190, they sell replacement bushings only for the 05 and up but not for the older models. In the past i have installed complete "master bushing" poly kits for practically no $$$ but cant seem to find anything like that for the tundra that includes the one bushing i need...

If i have to replace the one strut I assume both on that axle would need replacement to prevent some funky handling, it is a good excuse to install the leveling kit however;)

·
Registered
330 Posts
hey i had the same problem on my 02 tundra, go to rpiequipped.com and check out how to contact them, they sent me a new bushing in about 4 days, cost me 18$. its in bc canada btw.

·
Premium Member
134 Posts
I had the same thing happen to my driver's side shock. Lower bushing on shock absorber is mutilated. I couldn't find the bushings so I just ordered 2 new front shocks (stock) for $86.30 a piece from http://www.shockwarehouse.com/ I am having a mechanic install them for me and he will just charge labor. I figured I will save about $242 as compared to going to a Toyota dealership. Wonder why that bushing fails on so many Tundras? By the way I have a 2002 Tundra TRD 4WD.

Scoob

·
Registered
330 Posts
I had the same thing happen to my driver's side shock. Lower bushing on shock absorber is mutilated. I couldn't find the bushings so I just ordered 2 new front shocks (stock) for $86.30 a piece from Bilstein - KYB - Rancho - Monroe - Edelbrock Automotive Truck Shocks and Struts - Shockwarehouse.com I am having a mechanic install them for me and he will just charge labor. I figured I will save about $242 as compared to going to a Toyota dealership. Wonder why that bushing fails on so many Tundras? By the way I have a 2002 Tundra TRD 4WD.

Scoob
i have the exact same truck, and the exact same busing is screwed on mine, luckily i found the replacement bushing, saving me some $$

·
Registered
330 Posts
Why don't you post up where you found the bushing... :confused:
i already did, i was the first person to reply,either go to
rpiequipped.com or essexdistributors.com, i ordered mine from rpiequipped.com, i called to make my order

i dealt with a guy named Tom Janovsky, its a canadian company based in bc.

·
2015 Toyota Tundra DC SR5 5.7L
8,537 Posts
i already did, i was the first person to reply,either go to
rpiequipped.com or essexdistributors.com, i ordered mine from rpiequipped.com, i called to make my order

i dealt with a guy named Tom Janovsky, its a canadian company based in bc.
Gotcha. Didn't see the link in there. :eek:

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thx for all the replies! After weighing out my options I have decided to upgrade to the 5100's since I had planned on getting a leveling kit anyways this will save me some cash and also will probably provide a better ride! Best deal for me in Canada that I have found so far is
Prod# BE5-6929-H0
Essex Distributors

going to check with some local shops here today and see if they will match or beat it...

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well finally I replaced my front struts yesterday after putting up with an extremely annoying squeak and clunk due to the worn out bushings, both sides were bad....

Ordered the 5100's from Essex way way back on March 9th... site says through the ordering process that struts will be in my hands in 5 - 7 days standard shipping, not bad... 14 days later i email them wondering why i was still waiting! I am then told that the 5100's are shipping from California to BC, Canada first then to me (would have been nice to be told they were out of stock) After no communication, and receiving no tracking # via email the struts by some stroke of luck arrived in my hands yesterday! Although there prices were unbeatable there shipping and customer service left a lot to be desired IMO! Some communication regarding the status of the order such as "we are sorry item is currently out of stock we will notify you when it ships" would have gone a long way!!!

Anyways.... installed them yesterday (risking life and limb compressing the front springs:eek:) I went with the medium setting of 1.3" of average lift, which worked out to about 2" for my truck because of the height lost from the beat to death bushings. Truck sits very close to level... if not level, its hard to tell... ride, although slightly firmer is not rough in any way and the truck takes the turns with far less body lean. Very happy thus far with the 5100's...

·
Registered
447 Posts
quick question... i bought a leveling kit but i never installed it yet. if i get the 5100 shocks for the front and put them on, do i even need to bother with the leveling kit?

if i don't put the kit in for the tops of the struts, do i need to use the diff drop mounts if i set up the 5100 shocks to raise the truck by about 1.5-2 inches? i really don't want/can't afford to blow out my cv joints, so if it's worth it i'll do it, but i also don't really have tons of time so if i don't need to bother (or shouldn't for some reason) then i don't want to

it's a readylift kit by the way

on another note, is there a market for these leveling kits if i don't need it? i don't think i can return it to the place i bought it, but i'd like to get something for it if i don't need it....

thanks

·
Premium Member
2,152 Posts
No, you dont need the leveling kit with 5100's. At least on the front. Yeah, even with 1.5-2", I would put in the diff drop. They are only $25 + S&H from Wheelersoffroad.com
Takes about 20 min to install...Real easy to do.
You can try eBay or craigslist to sell the kit...You can try here, but this forum seems to be heavily pro 5100 lift over anything else.

And I dont know anything about the readylift, but if its a spacer lift, DONT install it if you're at all concerned about your CVs. :cool:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts