Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 106 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bilstein 5100's Over Low Range Off-Road 3/1 Leveling Kit

Well, after the Fender Flares now I'm ready to do the next mod. I was so sure I had made up my mind going with the Low Range Off-Road 3/1 Leveling Kit after I did all the research on leveling kits. . . ..but then started to do some more research and lots more reading. . . ..and now, I think I'm going with Bilsteins 5100's all around with the mid-level setting for the front shocks. They seem to give me the lift I need, plus a better ride, and don't seem to create concerns or problems down the road like some leveling kits. This is what I will be buying next week:

Front - F4-BE5-E428-HO Bilstein 5100 Racing Offroad
Rear - F4-BE5-E429-HO Bilstein 5100 Racing Offroad

Before I place the order at shockwarehouse.com next week, can anyone give me good reasons why I should stick with the original plan of going with the Low Range Off-Road 3/1 Leveling Kit?

Also, are there any coupon codes for shockwarehouse.com that works? :D

Thanks ahead! :tu:

·
Registered
420 Posts
That is what I put on my truck for the reasons you mentioned. I did not want to put spacers in my suspension plus that was more lift than I wanted, the middle setting on hte 5100s is perfect for me.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Az1, Here's a link to a 5% Shockwarehouse.com discount code....... Good luck !!! I bought mine from Shockwarehouse -- they were fast and courteous. You'll hear from folks who didn't have the same experience, but I'll recommend them everyday of the week....

http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forums/suspension-and-axle/158054-best-place-to-buy-bilstein-5100s/

The benefit of the LRO kit is that it comes with the diff drop kit and the skid plate spacers..... again, there'll be plenty of folks who don't thnk you need them, but a couple of things you'll want to consider. I was at the same crossroad and chose the Bilsteins, but still want to get the LRO diff drop kit and skip plade spacers....

Good luck !!!

·
Registered
58 Posts
I'm thinking about getting a leveling kit also, and keep seeing thread mentioning the Bilsteins...exactly how much lift can you get from the Bilsteins? And is the ride quality that much better over the leveling kits?

·
Registered
656 Posts
I'm thinking about getting a leveling kit also, and keep seeing thread mentioning the Bilsteins...exactly how much lift can you get from the Bilsteins? And is the ride quality that much better over the leveling kits?
About 2.5" of lift at max setting. The ride is better then stock TRD shocks, they increase overall suspension travel, you wont break your shock if you bottom out as they are designed to use the stock bumpstops (if you dont extend the bumpstops with spacer kits you can destroy the stock shocks when bottoming out). They cost as much if not less then brand name spacer kits.

I don't see any reason to use a spacer over a properly designed shock, especially for the same price.

·
- ? -
1,305 Posts
you wont break your shock if you bottom out as they are designed to use the stock bumpstops (if you dont extend the bumpstops with spacer kits you can destroy the stock shocks when bottoming out).
the truxxx and lro kits come with bumpstop drops.............

·
Registered
4,487 Posts
My vote is for OME and leave the rear suspension alone. Rides like butter off-road and on-road.

You don't feel railroad tracks at all. I probably got just over 2.5" lift and it's perfectly level (I have 112 lb brush guard up front and prolly 150 lbs in the bed)

-rockstate

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
haha, I said 150, not 225! I break out the Chevy 2500 HD for her

-rockstate
:eek: That's just cold! :angrywife:

Does she know you hang around this forum? :becky:

·
Registered
4,487 Posts
haha I don't have a gf right now. Working on a dime piece right now. She prolly doesn't weigh more than a buck five.

-rockstate

·
Registered
29 Posts
I'm going through the exact same decision. I was pretty convinced on a 3"/1" low range off-road kit, but the Bilsteins seem like a better option.

It appears the set of four shocks from shockwarehouse.com are about the same price as the low range off-road kit and opposed to the low range off-road kit, the shocks would probably be an easy self-install. Therefore, the Bilsteins would give basically the same lift result (2.5"/1"), cost less overall (self-install and no realignment), and provide better suspension/performance.

Seems like a logical choice unless I'm missing something.
1) Is a differential drop necessary for 2.5" lift in the front?
2) Are skip plate spacers necessary for a 2.5" lift in the front?
3) Are the Bilsteins an easy self install?
4) Does the low range off-road type spacer kit provide any advantage over bilsteins?

Thank you very much.

·
Registered
4,487 Posts
I'm going through the exact same decision. I was pretty convinced on a 3"/1" low range off-road kit, but the Bilsteins seem like a better option.

It appears the set of four shocks from shockwarehouse.com are about the same price as the low range off-road kit and opposed to the low range off-road kit, the shocks would probably be an easy self-install. Therefore, the Bilsteins would give basically the same lift result (2.5"/1"), cost less overall (self-install and no realignment), and provide better suspension/performance.

4) Does the low range off-road type spacer kit provide any advantage over bilsteins?

Thank you very much.
You will have to compress the strut if you go with the bilsteins if I"m not mistaken.

YOu will still need an alignment
and you will need a diff drop (it's a $30 insurance plan).

As far as spacer vs that, you're going to want new shocks if you off-road it - spacer if barely at all and is a street queen.

-rockstate

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
You will have to compress the strut if you go with the bilsteins if I"m not mistaken.

YOu will still need an alignment
and you will need a diff drop (it's a $30 insurance plan).

As far as spacer vs that, you're going to want new shocks if you off-road it - spacer if barely at all and is a street queen.

-rockstate
Would you need a differential drop even if you have a 2WD Tundra? I thought that was only needed if you have 4WD.

·
Registered
4,487 Posts
You're right, no diff drop if you're 2wd... I thought he was 4wd... there's no differential to drop if you're 2wd.

-rockstate

·
Registered
422 Posts
I went with the LRO 3/1 over the bilistens - people seem to get mixed results with the bilsteins and your TRD already has bilstein shocks. The LRO didn't change my ride and it aligned perfectly. even through the kit says 3/1 - I actually got 2.75 off the front and 1.25 out of the rear - mine is a 2x4 also. check my pics for an example of your truck with the LRO kit.

·
Registered
422 Posts

the Bilsteins would give basically the same lift result (2.5"/1"), cost less overall (self-install and no realignment), and provide better suspension/performance.

QUOTE]

the LRO kit is an easy self install because you don't have to compress the springs like you do for the 5100's and you WILL need a re-alignment with the 5100 bilsteins.

·
Registered
420 Posts

Thank you very much.

You only get front lift from the Bilsteins, no rear lift. You need an alignment with either kit.
I would rather have better shocks then add spacers to my suspension.
The install is not bad I did mine myself with a bench mount spring compressor.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Ah, I must have mis-read the rear shock description. So, if you wanted the rear raised you could put on 1" blocks, right?

For the 3"/1" Low Range Off-Road kit, does the truck end up level or still with a nose down attitude? I plan to put on a snuptop cap and frequently have gear in the bed and I don't want to end up with a nose high attitude. Any thoughts?

1 - 20 of 106 Posts