Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought the adhesion promoter, black, and clear coat paint yesterday from the auto parts store - Should I paint my grill emblem black?

I like what this guy did with a 2010 limited grill - do yall think it would lookgood on my truck with a chrome surround?

·
Registered
7,461 Posts
no. i have seen it done and it always looks like something is missing and its just the black part where something is supposed to be there. unless u do the whole thing like that guy did...then it looks OK but to have a chrome surround with a black emblem looks like something fell off and its just the backing part that is left...

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the stupid mod bug didn't stop after my lift/tires... in fact, I think it got worse.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I agree with Barney, the idea that some of us have gone is monochrome, or all one color. The black grill doesn't look bad on that truck, but can you imagine what it would look like if it was the same color as the body. If you are going to paint the grill or anything factory, you have to take off the factory coating. Let me rephrase that, "you should take off the factory coating". The problem is that the first stray rock or kamakaze bird that hits your gril it will chip the paint, it won't take too long until your work of art is a complete POS. I just did my grille and bead blasted the chrome off the shot it with hi build urathane. Looks great and durable.

Good Luck! Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
No way. Looks like the chrome part fell off. Ick. Take the black paint back.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I bought the adhesion promoter, black, and clear coat paint yesterday from the auto parts store - Should I paint my grill emblem black?

I like what this guy did with a 2010 limited grill - do yall think it would lookgood on my truck with a chrome surround?

This truck would look sick if the guy did the BHLM too. I blacked out my emblem with the color matched grille surround and looks great. Pics will have to wait till its gets warmer here to wash it.

·
Registered
424 Posts
I actually did my emblem black and for me it doesn't look bad. At least with the factory grill I have. I am trying to find another factory 07 grill so I can paint it black. That way if I don't like it, I can just put my original back on. I do agree with Barney, at least for some grills such as the one pictured, because it sticks out.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Montana guy, pm me I have one for sale and am in Missoula

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
I like the black front grille emblem, i did it on my truck. you can tell its still there and when your far away it just looks like you have an all black grille. I dont really care for the looks of the toyota emblem and i wanted to make it blend into my grille a little more. With out the emblem there it you can see all the holes were the log goes and it just didnt look good. Just be aware your gonna have to give it more than a few coats of paint and protective enamal so it doesnt chip down the road. I say go for it. Here is a pic of mine.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
looks good on your truck radiant. my grill is a little different since its a 2010, but I think it will still look good. I keep going back and forth.

·
Registered
424 Posts
looks good on your truck radiant. my grill is a little different since its a 2010, but I think it will still look good. I keep going back and forth.
Yeah, I guess that was my point too. Radiant and I have the same grill but for others it may not look good.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'd just get a RBP grill if they weren't so daym expensive.

·
Registered
598 Posts
I'm happy with mine.

Attachments

·
Registered
424 Posts
I'd just get a RBP grill if they weren't so daym expensive.
YES!! Love those grills! Wife was nagging on me about. Something about a big a** star on my grill...:argue: No s%^$!

·
Registered
424 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
I don't like the black emblems. My first thought when I look at them is that they have been spray painted. It just looks too DIY in my opinion.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
i thnik i'm going to do it this weekend. if it looks like crap, I'll just get a new grill. maybe its the excuse I need to get a RBP or carriage works. or maybe black mesh...

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Agree with anyUser...just looks too *******-ish for me. And I ought to know...

1 - 20 of 42 Posts