Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,947 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright fellas and ladies,

I have the KMC Silver Lo-Fi 22s; however, I see that they make a black one now. Give me your opinions please of which one you like better. No poll because I like detailed opinions supporting your vote. Thanks as always for the opinions...........

Thinking about color matched or black painted bumpers as well.

Attachments

·
Registered
7,461 Posts
black. the silver kinda stands out too much and doesnt go with anything else on the truck IMO.

·
Premium Member
2002 Sequoia SR5 4WD
399 Posts
I'd have to say the black as well. I think it would flow better, especially since your headlights & tail lights are smoked.

Good luck with your decision!

·
Registered
860 Posts
Black, but in nothing bigger than a 20" you need more meat on your wheels. Looking a little anemic there.

·
Registered
2,947 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the feedback BEAST owners! Any chance of someone with photoshop skills putting the blacks on my truck for a better look at how they would look?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
And I respectively disagree with my Tundra brothers. You have a chrome grill, bumper and running board. Black rims would not look good in that mix. And the dark color of the truck would make the shiney rims stand out. Its just my opinion.

·
Registered
293 Posts
The black goes well with the truck. It is the trend now a days with the black rims on everything.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
The black goes well with the truck. It is the trend now a days with the black rims on everything.
I was never one to follow the trend. I am unique, just ask my wife.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have a 2010 Silver DC and I'm trying to figure out what to get as well. I'd love to see some pictures of any Silver rigs that show the wheels so I can compare and make my choice. I plan on a lift 3x1, some nerfs/running boards (color dependant on the wheels I get) and looking at the nitto tires. Good thread to start, thanks!

·
Premium Member
2,247 Posts
My vote is for the black. If they didnt have that polished lip, I might go the other way...but that lip really makes the look!

·
Registered
2,947 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Here is a photoshop pic to go from for now thanks to a friend of mine at work! If someone is better at it, go for it!

Attachments

·
Registered
7,461 Posts
And I respectively disagree with my Tundra brothers. You have a chrome grill, bumper and running board. Black rims would not look good in that mix. And the dark color of the truck would make the shiney rims stand out. Its just my opinion.
well chrome is one thing. silver is the other. he's not lookin at chrome wheels.....so the bumpers have nothing to do with it. :) the black ones would look perfect...all the trim and accessories are black so its kinda a no brainer. :) but i too agree, nothing larger than a 20...

·
Registered
136 Posts
I have the silver ones and think they go very well with my truck. However I am not very happy with the quality, since corrosion already started after a short time.
I have the first version with the stainless steel lip "glued" into the rim. It seems that the lip moves a little in the rim, which causes an unpleasant sound when driving slowly under hot/dry conditions. Corrosion starts between the lip and rim and can't be stopped.
From what I understand the newer version doesn't have a separate lip, but has a machined one, so that this problem should not occur. Beside this, the overall paint quality is not very good.

·
Registered
2,947 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I have the silver ones and think they go very well with my truck. However I am not very happy with the quality, since corrosion already started after a short time.
I have the first version with the stainless steel lip "glued" into the rim. It seems that the lip moves a little in the rim, which causes an unpleasant sound when driving slowly under hot/dry conditions. Corrosion starts between the lip and rim and can't be stopped.
From what I understand the newer version doesn't have a separate lip, but has a machined one, so that this problem should not occur. Beside this, the overall paint quality is not very good.
How long it did it take for corrosion to begin? I have not had any at all; this is the first snow/salt season they have been in since I took them off last winter and I have had them for 2 years now. Are you talking rust or what kind of corrosion are you seeing?

·
Registered
410 Posts
Can you get the ones you have now painted slate?

·
Registered
2,947 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Can you get the ones you have now painted slate?

Good Point! I am actually thinking that my current wheels can be powdercoat painted a black shade that matches up with my black accents I have now. I have thought about the color match as well; I would love to get a photoshop of them color matched for sure. Thanks.......

·
Registered
136 Posts
How long it did it take for corrosion to begin? I have not had any at all; this is the first snow/salt season they have been in since I took them off last winter and I have had them for 2 years now. Are you talking rust or what kind of corrosion are you seeing?
Started in/after first winter, I don't take them off. Corrosion probably started somewhere between the lip and the uncoated wheel under the lip and then gets under the painted part. You notice it because the corrosion products have a larger volume and makes the paint looks like cauliflower

1 - 20 of 24 Posts