Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just finished painting the factory 17" alloy wheels black today and am pretty happy with the result. Wasn't to hard just took awhile the hardest part was trying to keep my sweat off the fresh paint when its 105 degrees outside now.

Andrew

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
Damn thats looks sweeeeeeeet! ;)

haha I feel ya on the heat, its just as bad here in Houston on top of the humidity you cant even go outside for 5 mins without being drenched in sweat.

·
Premium Member
765 Posts
Nice looking. Did you take the tires off or just painted to the rubber?

·
Registered
126 Posts
Ditto on the heat here in Louisiana. Sweating in my car with the AC on.. Those look pretty good! I got mine powdercoated to prevent chipping, but those look pretty nice

·
Premium Member
765 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
I got mine for $45 a wheel (16" wheels). Look great too! Any color you want. I got gloss black and they shine, especially with a little WD40.

·
Registered
126 Posts
By the way that truck look really good hofkamp. Nice lift, wheels look good, good color. I like. :tu:

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
just finished painting the factory 17" alloy wheels black today and am pretty happy with the result. Wasn't to hard just took awhile the hardest part was trying to keep my sweat off the fresh paint when its 105 degrees outside now.

Andrew

you know, as a rule over the years i just haven't liked black wheels. and then a while back someone started a thread about showing pics of your black wheels. i looked through it a few times and i have found that i am not as biased as i used to be as there are some really good looking black wheels out there. Puffinstuff has some nice new ones i like. i have your same wheels with the factory paint and they look really good all painted black on your truck. they look like expensive custom wheels. good job man!

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for complements, i really like the way they turned out and cost me less than fifty bucks to do and about day to do. Just used some soap and water, break parts cleaner, acetone and a couple scotch pads and 4 cans of semi gloss black paint and a can of clear coat. I did five coats of black on the front and two on the back and two coats of clear. I know its a bit excessive but wanted to make sure there was a thick coat to help protect the paint. I would have put more coats of clear on but it was starting to lighten it up a little bit but now i kind of like the dark grayish color to it.

If anybody wants a little more detail of what i did just let me know and i will be glad to help.

Andrew

·
Registered
126 Posts
Suggestion - if you want them to be shinier gloss, get some rustoleum gloss enamel with the gloss black cap. I know you said you like the grayish look but just a suggestion!

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Suggestion - if you want them to be shinier gloss, get some rustoleum gloss enamel with the gloss black cap. I know you said you like the grayish look but just a suggestion!
my initial plan was just to do a flat black style with just a little shine which is why i went with the semi gloss rather than the high gloss and if i wanted more gloss just use more coats of the clear to shine it up. i just didnt wanted to go straight to high gloss in case i didnt like them. i know a lot of people like the shine but im more of a flat person. thanks for the suggestion though.

Andrew

·
Registered
126 Posts
I hear ya, different taste different ideas, makes it fun

·
Registered
59 Posts
Wow that looks good. Totally different looking wheel with just paint.

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
Did you take the tires off or just painted to the rubber?

Tape works but an easier way is to use a deck of cards or note cards would be better since theyre bigger and overlap them around the wheels so you dont get paint on the tire. :D

·
Premium Member
22 Posts
Anyone with the SR5 does this with their chrome mirrors , grille guard and factory wheels? that would look so sweet.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I've done it, but I have port wheels and mines a 2000. I wish I had color keyed bumpers. Oh well, black works fine :laughing3d:

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Tape works but an easier way is to use a deck of cards or note cards would be better since theyre bigger and overlap them around the wheels so you dont get paint on the tire. :D
note cards are a pretty good idea, with the tape once you got it layed all the way around you had to rip it about every 4 inches to get it to lay flat so needed another round of tape to cover that. the note cards would probably save some time and tedious work.

Andrew

1 - 20 of 29 Posts