Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,
I just wanted to see if anyone is experiencing the same thing I am while driving at night. When I first got my Tundra it seemed like my headlights were shining right on the rearview mirrors of the cars in front of me. Within a week, probably 8 cars pulled over and let me pass and countless others would pull the switch down on their mirror. I took the truck back to the dealer and they said they needed to be adjusted. It doesn't seem as bad but the lights are still shining on the back of their heads and they still switch their rearview mirror down. Occassionally someone coming at me headon flashes their lights because they think I have my high beams on and I just flash them back but it's becoming a little annoying. I've never owned a truck before, so I'm wandering if this is a common occurence while driving a truck? I feel bad when I get behind people in cars, so I just try and stay back alittle. My friend drives a F-350 and says screw'em, they should have bought a truck but I really don't feel that way, just wanted to get your guys opinions on this.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Actually very common. Had an F-350 4x4 and that use to happen all the time. It is especially bad if you have a heavy load in the back of the truck.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Yes, I noticed I was flashed numerous times while drive at night (no load in bed) by on coming drivers. I took it by the dealer and they adjusted something too - after adjustments were made, I still get the ocasional flash of the high beams - not as much. But bothersome in a way - don't want to cause an accident.

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
So, what does it look like when you aim your headlights? (park on a level surface and point it at a wall a fair distance away) If they are aimed properly it seems like you are doing everying you are supposed to be doing.

·
Super Genius
920 Posts
The Tundra is a big truck and sits up higher than most other vehicles. As a result your headlights will align perfectly with the rear view mirrors of most cars. I wouldn't adjust my headlights down too far since this could cause unsafe lighting which is much more dangerous to me and those around me. The choice of hitting something and causing a big accident VS. someone flipping their mirror or moving over is pretty easy for me... :)

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
Just make sure you have the auto-dimming mirror so that you won't be bothered by people letting you pass then flipping on their high beams behind you ;)

·
Super Genius
920 Posts
Just make sure you have the auto-dimming mirror so that you won't be bothered by people letting you pass then flipping on their high beams behind you ;)
LOL - this happened to me several times and it was laughable. One guy trying to high beam me was so close and low to the pavement that his headlights wouldn't even clear the tailgate... :devil:

·
Registered
43 Posts
Does anyone know how to adjust the headlights? I found what appear to be two adjustment nuts/knobs. These are 8mm hex head nuts on a 1" disc. I spun them a dozen or so turns each way but did not see any change in the headlight position. Any input would be helpful.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So, what does it look like when you aim your headlights? (park on a level surface and point it at a wall a fair distance away) If they are aimed properly it seems like you are doing everying you are supposed to be doing.
My headlights look Ok now that they adjusted them but they still seem to high but I guess they are not from what you guys have said.

Thanks for the replys and the advice on the dimming rear view mirror:D I feel better now that I know I'm not the only one. It seems that some people get pretty upset and like someone said i don't want to cause an accident or have to slap someone up over this LOL:devil:

·
Registered
848 Posts
this is funny to me because i want to upgrade my headlights .. i am planning on either doing a retrofit or just a hid kit i have a set of 06 acura TL projectors but i gotta figure out it it would work first .. but i will probally just buy a kit and call it a day

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Does anyone know how to adjust the headlights? I found what appear to be two adjustment nuts/knobs. These are 8mm hex head nuts on a 1" disc. I spun them a dozen or so turns each way but did not see any change in the headlight position. Any input would be helpful.

I'm not sure where you adjust the headlights, I didn't try it because I was afraid of screwing it up, so I took it to the dealer and they adjusted them for free.

·
Registered
24 Posts
l'm pretty used to having people adjust their mirror (or give me the finger) when I pull up behind them in my F-250. I have an '07 Limited on order and I don't know if it sits any higher than the Ford or not. I figure they can always get a taller car.:D

·
Registered
74 Posts
I have the same problem with other cars getting upset when i'm behind them.The first time i drove it at night i had a car get upset about my lights when i was behind him,i flashed my highs to let him know they were on low.This just annoyed him more and he made me drive about 6 miles at 10 miles per hour in an area where i couldn't legally pass him.When we got to a red light i was about tired of his bull---- and got out to have a little chat,he decided running the light was a better option than talking to me at that point. :D

·
Registered
634 Posts
Hi guys,
I just wanted to see if anyone is experiencing the same thing I am while driving at night. When I first got my Tundra it seemed like my headlights were shining right on the rearview mirrors of the cars in front of me. Within a week, probably 8 cars pulled over and let me pass and countless others would pull the switch down on their mirror. I took the truck back to the dealer and they said they needed to be adjusted. It doesn't seem as bad but the lights are still shining on the back of their heads and they still switch their rearview mirror down. Occassionally someone coming at me headon flashes their lights because they think I have my high beams on and I just flash them back but it's becoming a little annoying. I've never owned a truck before, so I'm wandering if this is a common occurence while driving a truck? I feel bad when I get behind people in cars, so I just try and stay back alittle. My friend drives a F-350 and says screw'em, they should have bought a truck but I really don't feel that way, just wanted to get your guys opinions on this.

It is good that you know to stay back when behind somebody like that. It is the polite thing to do. Your friend in the F350 will do that to the wrong guy one day. But I digress. I know I personally find it damn irritating when someone is tail grabbing my a** with high headlights. I always turn my outside rear view back to blind him so he backs off or goes around, one of the two.

Have you installed a leveling kit recently or something like that. When I put my Daystars on some 4 years ago I immediatly noticed I was blinding people and they were hitting their high beams. As said earlier I know how irritating I find it so I just adjusted the headlights down myself using a phillips head screwdriver. After that no more people hitting their brights on me.

I don't know if yours is the same as my 03 but there was a diagram many years back in the subscriber section which showed the place to place the phillips head in order to adjust the headlights. As I said, don't know if yours is the same.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts