Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I pull in the garage the last two nights a small red blinking"car" continues to blink. I looked in the manual and could not find the source of this. Its not the sensor light indicater.
Anyone else had this? I hate to call the dealer in case its something simple.

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
It means your engine immobilizer is activated and will only be turned off with your Smart Key...the big black key that you start the engine with. It's in the Owner's Manual somewhere. Also, it is recommended that smart keys for other cars do not get close to the one in the ignition...it might cause interference and kill your engine.

·
Registered
85 Posts
It's the passive anti theft device... you activate it by taking the key out of the ignition... let your insurance company know it is there... you'll save a few $$ on your insurance premium.. maybe enough for a bottle of cheap wine..
BT

·
Registered
6 Posts
It means your engine immobilizer is activated and will only be turned off with your Smart Key...the big black key that you start the engine with. It's in the Owner's Manual somewhere. Also, it is recommended that smart keys for other cars do not get close to the one in the ignition...it might cause interference and kill your engine.
How did you correct this issue ?

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
I dont think he had any issue. He just stated dont keep other smart keys too close together. That being said I highly doubt thats a real thing. Probably lots of people who own 2 cars keep them close together and even on the same key ring.
What problem do you have?

·
Registered
6 Posts
I dont think he had any issue. He just stated dont keep other smart keys too close together. That being said I highly doubt thats a real thing. Probably lots of people who own 2 cars keep them close together and even on the same key ring.
What problem do you have?
My engine immobilizer has been activated and my black master key will not disable it so I’m unable to start my truck.. it mentioned the chip syncing with the vehicle so I’m at a loss...

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
You should always get the red blinking car as soon as the vehicle is shut off and the key is removed. So when you insert your key the immobilizer keeps flashing? Do you have other keys you can try? What happens when you put the key in and turn it?

·
Registered
6 Posts
You should always get the red blinking car as soon as the vehicle is shut off and the key is removed. So when you insert your key the immobilizer keeps flashing? Do you have other keys you can try? What happens when you put the key in and turn it?
Nothing ... no clicking ... when it’s shut off the red light keeps flashing.. I’ve never seen it before when it’s off... lights in the truck is on I’m registering 14 amps on the battery ...

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
Sorry, a little confused. If you put the key into the ignition the red light does not go out?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Ok.. as I put the key in the ignition it disappears but does it typically blink when it’s off and the alarm is engaged ? More to your point I turn the key and there’s absolutely nothing I hear no ticking so perhaps either the alternator or starter ... your thoughts?

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
Yes, Key in ignition should turn it off. Once truck is off and key removed it should start flashing again. I cant remember if it starts flashing immediately or if there is a bit of a delay, maybe 30 seconds, but it should flash again. If you have this condition but its not doing anything I think there is a starter relay to check. Saw a thread on that today but cant find it now. Do another search on here for no crank no start or something similar. Either way please post back if you find the root cause. You might end up helping someone else down the road.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I’ve taken it to the dealer and after 2 hours of diagnostic still nothing in terms of root cause... they are requesting 3 additional hours stating the car isn’t registering a error code or anything they noticed the oddest thing some animal started nesting somewhere under the hood.... I’m thoroughly pissed at this moment.... anxiety has set in big time..

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
Mice would explain everything. That being said I dont understand how they need that much longer. Find the nest, trace the damaged wires and fix them. Just watch they dont try and sell you an entire wire harness for huge money. There should be no reason why they cant splice wires together but they might try and upsell you a whole new harness. If thats the case try and find a good local mechanic that would be willing to repair and not replace.

·
Registered
731 Posts
If you have comprehensive insurance, you can file a claim, if the repair ends up being more than your deductible. I have heard of others having rodent damage covered by insurance.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thank you for the information..... I’m not 100% sold on their analysis... Quite frankly I believe they are full of it... They needed 6 hours for diagnosis and starter and wiring... I’ve never seen evidence of nesting at all.. Secondly, they swapped out the starter then the very next day I notice considerable leaking of oil... I couldn’t be any more dissatisfied with the dealer experience when it comes to repairs..... They most certainly will be receiving a scathing review....

1 - 15 of 15 Posts