Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having touble locating the block coolant drain plug on my 01 V6. I am looking at the Haynes manual diagram and it is worthless. Can someone give me a good description of where to locate it. Do I need to remove anything to get to it? Thanks in advance.

·
Ever the explorer
2,391 Posts
Having touble locating the block coolant drain plug on my 01 V6. I am looking at the Haynes manual diagram and it is worthless. Can someone give me a good description of where to locate it. Do I need to remove anything to get to it? Thanks in advance.
Have you searched this site?
Been discussions in the past plus others have taken pictures detailing this subject.
I searched on coolant drain plugs and found 27 posts on this subject alone.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Do you have to take the heads off? That’s what those plugs are for. If your are just trying to flush the coolant out just drain the radiator by unscrewing the drain plug then pull the top and bottom hose off the radiator if you want you could start the truck for about 3-5 second to get more coolant out of the water pump. Reconnect the hoses fill with distilled water drive for about 5-10 mile and repeat above until the water looks clear then add 50% distilled water 50% antifreeze (Toyota red antifreeze).

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks rc. The book was saying to drain the block at the block plug, but your suggestion seems alot easier.

·
Registered
910 Posts
FWIW, I do drain my 4.7 at the block, too, when I do a coolant change. I also use compressed air to get as much coolant out as possible. You will get additional fluid out if you use the block drain.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
The 3.4 V-6 block drain bold is accessed through the passenger side tire well. Just get as many socket extensions as possible, I actually use 5 and I believe a 14mm socket and you can do it from the wheel well on the passenger side. You will see it up on the block from the front passenge tire well towards the front of the of tire / towards the top height of the tire. There is a hose adaptor below the bolt that you can attach a 3/8" hose so you can drain it into a bucket. It is easy to use, just almost impossible to find the first time. It actually might be easier to find at night with a flash light. It is on the block about the height of the base of the powersteering pump. Remember you will see the head of the brass bolt. I use a wobble socket extension on the socket. Be sure to open the heater, take off the cap and I actually remove the overflow with a single bolt to really clean it out. I would never start the truck, if you do the block drain and the base of the radiator, almost ever drop will come out.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I would suggest following everything that 5SPEED recommended, and would add a couple of things. First, there isn't any advantage to putting the front end up on ramps. I did this today and found in merely complicated accessing the engine compartment from above. The second thing that I might add is that, though surely not necessary, removing the right front wheel may provide easier access to the brass drain bolt and drain cock on the engine.

Oh yes, be sure to set the HVAC temp control on hot before you shut the engine off. Also, drain the radiator first.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts