Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
You know, I've been using my Sirius Starmate for a couple of months now. All of a sudden it wants to start blowing fuses when I plug it into a power adapter. First it was plugged into the stereo lighter....BAM! Then on the accessory adapter in the middle compartment....BAM (that also took out the rear one)! I've replaced the blown fuses and now the cigarette lighter won't work with a good fuse and anytime I plug the power adapter in for the Sirius Starmate....it blows them right away.

No mods have been done to the truck (yet). Why now? Nothing has changed in two months. I've owned many cars and blown fuses are never an issue. Anyone else run into this??

·
Registered
83 Posts
You know, I've been using my Sirius Starmate for a couple of months now. All of a sudden it wants to start blowing fuses when I plug it into a power adapter. First it was plugged into the stereo lighter....BAM! Then on the accessory adapter in the middle compartment....BAM (that also took out the rear one)! I've replaced the blown fuses and now the cigarette lighter won't work with a good fuse and anytime I plug the power adapter in for the Sirius Starmate....it blows them right away.

No mods have been done to the truck (yet). Why now? Nothing has changed in two months. I've owned many cars and blown fuses are never an issue. Anyone else run into this??
Have you tried plugging it into another vehicle to make sure it's not the unit itself?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Gonna do that when I get home tonight....that was my first thought. I was just wondering if anyone else had run into this problem. The cigarette lighter not working makes no sense though with a new fuse (not that I need the cigarette lighter to work anyways), I just hate when everything's not perfect!! :devil:

·
Registered
143 Posts
When they installed my XM it blew a fuse before I even got it home. I replaced the fuse (5 amp) and it immediately blew again. Called the dealer and they said they were supposed to swap out the 5 amp fuse for a 10 amp fuse when they install the XM components. Could be the same thing for you. I upped it to 10 amps and have never had another problem.

Kirk

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
This was a thought as well TundraMan.....I'm going to be messing around this weekend and see if that makes a difference.

If I'm not mistaken, the cigarette lighter runs on a 15 amp fuse already. I don't see why upping that one would make a difference. Or would it? I believe the power adapter for the Sirius drops the voltage down to what it needs.

Am I getting all of this confused? Does it really matter what size fuse I use?

·
Registered
76 Posts
My Sirius was doing the same thing. I took the cig adapter apart and found that the wires had crossed and were shorting (poorly assembled and cheap parts). Anyway, after resetting the wires, it worked fine.

·
Registered
20 Posts
try another car before you go playing with fuses.
definantly go with this advice. fuses are set from the factory to protect wires from melting. putting in a larger fuse than what it came with could cause some serious damage(possible fire). also, check the wires like the other guy said.

·
Registered
15 Posts
If it's any consilation I've been using my starmate in my truck for two months with no problems. Plugged in to the power supply next to the lighter:cool:

·
Registered
143 Posts
definantly go with this advice. fuses are set from the factory to protect wires from melting. putting in a larger fuse than what it came with could cause some serious damage(possible fire). also, check the wires like the other guy said.
I agree but in my case the Toyota Service Manager said it was part of the installation procedure when you upgraded to the XM.

Kirk

·
Registered
1 Posts
The exact same thing happened to me. I've had the radio for about a year. It's been in and out of the auxiliary outlets many times. When I started out to work one morning the Sirius radio cut out about ten minutes into the commute, and about 5 seconds later the dashboard radio died. I replaced the fuse, and upon plugging in the Sirius radio the fuse blows immediately. The two auxiliary plugs are now dead; however, the cigarette lighter and dashboard stereo work fine.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Possibly slightly off topic about fuses but my Sirrius satallite has a horrible hissing/whinning interfierence that comes out through the speakers. Really annoying. It's plugged in to the Aux-In plug and has never made the sound in any other vehicle with Aux-In's. Any help??
-Brock

1 - 13 of 13 Posts