Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,, long term Toyota fan here in the UK,, had many many Toyotas,, Soarers,, supras, Celica gt4,, Lexus gs430,, 300,, etc etc, anyway,, had a Tundra brought over from Dubai last year,,, absolutely love it,, perfect for work as a gas engineer plumber,,, now last week I've blown it sucking up water in the crap weather and floods we got goin on in England :(

So,, questions are,, firstly ,, 2007 gen 2 4.7 2uzfe vvti is what is in mine,,.can i use.the block from a non vvti and use my heads assuming my heads are ok? Are they the same? Just that it's easier to get a non.vvti engine over here,,

Been reading about JZ conversion.(my true favourite engine) ,, does this buckle up to the autobox of a gen 2?

1urfr 4.6,, how hard to swap to that?
20200224_103734.jpg
20200301_164252.jpg
Screenshot_20200304-150709_Video Player.jpg

·
Registered
820 Posts
There were changes to the internals when it went to VVTI but I don't know if the block had any changes to accommodate the new VVTI heads. I don't know if you will find anyone that has does this so you may have to resort to carefully inspecting each of the short blocks to see if your VVti heads will work on the older block or not. Maybe they will and maybe they won't you could probably machine one or the other to work but at that point you are probably better just finding a long block. Swapping in a 4.6L would probably be fairly easy and the question would be does it bolt to the same transmission or not. That should be easy enough to look up but there are likely still differences. All of these things can be done but typically aren't because it is much easier to just replace a long block or the whole drive train vs spending the money to "make" something work. If you go the 4.6L I would love to keep track of how that goes since I have pondered that swap myself if I blow my 05 4.7L VVTI.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cheers! Yep I know what you mean,, suck it and see,, just that if the non vvti does go then it will be available here in the UK and cheaper as well. The head gaskets are the same according to my eBay research,, does that still not mean it is the same block?
Other line of thinking is like u say,, the gen1 I didn't know till now has the supra gearbox and can therefore swap a 2jz in bolt straight on,, so,, if the vvti is like mine in the newer gen 2 connects up to the 5 speed auto,,.newer box,, then does a 2 JZ fit straight into gen 2? Have u got a vvti in your 05 gen 1? Did u convert that? Did it go onto transmission or did u swap that too? Therefore,, did they change the bell housing? Which again makes me think....surely the block would be the same?

·
Registered
820 Posts
No, the 05 is the first year of the vvti 2UZ engine so the one before and I have now are factory. I am by no means an expert in this area but if I had had to guess I bet you could bolt the vvti and transmission to the non-vvti block. Worst case if you get a whole non-vvti is you are out a set of head gaskets to pull the heads off. You just downgrade to the whole non-vvti engine if it didnt work which let's you supercharge it and make more power than the vvti version anyways. The early internals were supposedly much stronger which is why no SC after 04. I wish I had more time to play with this sort of thing.

·
Registered
820 Posts
I don't have any recommendations for an exporter or place to buy but I would look for an engine out of the southeastern states and near a port like Charleston, Savannah or Florida. You will also probably want to find a company that is familiar with exporting so probably one of the bigger salvage companies. If you look on Ebay that might be a good way to find one, I also saw rebuild kits and rebuilt short blocks on there.

·
Registered
40 Posts
No, the 05 is the first year of the vvti 2UZ engine so the one before and I have now are factory. I am by no means an expert in this area but if I had had to guess I bet you could bolt the vvti and transmission to the non-vvti block. Worst case if you get a whole non-vvti is you are out a set of head gaskets to pull the heads off. You just downgrade to the whole non-vvti engine if it didnt work which let's you supercharge it and make more power than the vvti version anyways. The early internals were supposedly much stronger which is why no SC after 04. I wish I had more time to play with this sort of thing.
Just to clarify the rods are exactly the same between VVti and non-VVti . They stopped producing the supercharger because people where putting smaller pullies on and the piggyback system they had installed sucked so they would wind up snapping rods. The piston i think is slightly different between VVti and non VVti to accommodate the VVti but correct me if I’m wrong I haven’t actually seen one in person.

·
Registered
820 Posts
Thiat makes sense also just what I always heard from some of the Toyota guys I used to know that were supposedly involved in some of the development.

If you go on toyotapartsdeal and look them up the rod part numbers a are the same between an 01' and an 05'. There does look like a difference in the block part numbers. The pistons being different would make more sense.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hey guys,, another question as yes someone has now said deep the pistons are different so even if the block is the same I now have either to....buy full engine from usa to uk,, or try reuse my heads,, buy a block from uk non vvti,, and buy maybe some ross pistons for the vvti and swap em ,

Other question is.....

How hard or easy would it be if I 3urfr or 1urfe it instead? Would it be plug and play? Cheers,

1 - 9 of 9 Posts