Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got the upgraded JBL stereo system, and I was demoing it for another potential buyer. Anyways in the process I'm sure the top two speakers in my dash went out. They should be covered under the warranty right?

Thanks

Jason

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
I've got the upgraded JBL stereo system, and I was demoing it for another potential buyer. Anyways in the process I'm sure the top two speakers in my dash went out. They should be covered under the warranty right?

Thanks

Jason
Jason,

I have the same radio for now and I went into the dealer with what I thought were two front top blown speakers just like you. The JBL stereo is not that great of a system and the speakers in your dash are your mids, the tweeters are in your upper doors and the woofers are your lower doors. The mid range speakers in your dash can not handle much low range frequency if any. I only noticed this popping, scratchy sound when my iPod was playing and I thought for sure I had blown those top speakers. We turned the bass all the way down on the headunit and still had the problem. After playing around at the dealer with it we decided to just turn off the "bass boost" on the iPod. The sound quality is now pretty flat and shallow but at least the blown speaker sound went away. As soon as the aftermarket fit kits are available, I'm switching this JBL out with a good quality system.

I hope that helped and maybe give you an idea of what else it might be instead of a blown speaker.

Mark

·
Premium Member
3,052 Posts
So the JBL is no good on this truck either? I was hoping that it was getting better with the addition of the sub.:confused:

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
Hey Brandon,

Yeah, its not very good. But if youre only used to basic stock systems then it might sound great to you. But after installing a very nice aftermarket system in my last truck, I was a bit disappointed with the JBL. I took everything out of my last truck and put back in my old factory stuff before the trade in, so I still have my good Boston components and amps ready to go, just waiting on the fit kits to catch up.

You ever call DP and get some Epic to try?

Mark

·
Super Genius
920 Posts
This has been debated in other posts however I would like to add my $0.02 again. First for perspective I will state that I used to design and install custom systems that included building and tuning my own speaker enclosures, making major vehicle mods, installing extra batteries, etc. I used to think that any system under $2k was just total junk. I used to like a system that could be heard for blocks, or cranked up out in a crowded parking lot or field to supply an entire block party with high quality tunes. Now I am much older with minor hearing damage and much more reserved.

The upgraded NAV / JBL audio system in my DC Limited is well worth the money. The MSRP sticker price for the whole system was $1650 but after you back out the backup camera, NAV, and bluetooth features then the stereo portion is probably costing you $650 or so. Factor in a 6% discount off of MSRP which shouldn't be too hard to get and your total is down close to $600. Now try to spend this same amount or less for a similar system including 10 speakers, subwoofer enclosure, head unit, amp, all wiring harnesses and adapters, and custom installation service. No way it can be done and come out with anywhere near the quality of the factory upgrade system, plus the factory integrates with the other functions so nicely (NAV rules!).

So the factory upgrade is well worth the money and it does sound pretty good, at least considering what it cost. If you want much better quality and/or more power then by all means do it yourself but be prepared to spend much more and potentially end up with a system that isn't as cleanly installed as the factory rig. Even if you replace certain speakers or individual components the cost of the overall system may still be worth it.

·
Jedi Ninja in Training
8,309 Posts
WileE,

Me too on all accounts. I couldn't have said it better.:D :tu:

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm happy with the system. Though I am thing of upgrading it over time. I was showing off the system to another potential buyer (he got a blue DC yesterday). I don't normally listen to songs with alot of base, but I've got a couple on my Ipod, and it was after playing one with alot of deep base that my top speakers starting crackling. I'm sure they are blown, the crackling sound is present even when playing the radio. Heck even country is all cracked up.

I'm headed over to the dealership thismorning to talk to the service guys and pick up my gift certificate for recommending the truck to my friend.

My friend (Tony) was going to buy a white DC From a different dealership, but after we went over the option on the white truck and my options, we both realized that that dealership was way more money. The sticker on his truck was $400 more then the sticker on mine, and mine had the deck rails, and trd, and daylight running lights plus a few more small difference.

After he confronted the other dealership, they got really defensive and rude.

Jason

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
Jason,

Like I mentioned earlier, mine did the exact same thing and the speakers were not blown. The top dash speakers simply cant handle much bass, especially from a source like an MP3 file. Go into your ipod under settings>eq>bass reducer and turn that on. That should solve the problem but leave you with flat, shallow sounding music. But at least it wont pop. I dont really listen to much bass either, but I do like my music to be crisp and clean. Check that setting and see if that helps you. Even after the dealer switched out my dash speakers they still popped until we figured out to reduce the bass from the source. Heck, they even popped with the bass turned all the way down to "1" on the head unit.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Maybe some better speakers would be a relatively cheap way of improving the sound? I have the non-JBL system and think it is pretty weak. My standard radio in my last truck sounded much better and had more features. I'd be willing to update the speakers if it would make a difference.

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
It would certainly make a difference switching out OEM speakers for good aftermarkets. The non-JBL headunit has an integrated internal amp that maybe puts out 18watts (give or take a few). You will get distortion if turned up too loud but a nice set of aftermarket speakers will sound much much better. I'm sure for around $100 you could find a very nice set of 6x9's.

·
Registered
595 Posts
I'm not so much into loud anymore. Too much hearing loss from concerts and flying for 20 years. Much of the time my wife and kid are with me so we keep the volume at converstaion level. It's the drive to and from work where I'd like better sound.

Aren't there three pair in a non-JBL Tundra? What sizes are needed? Are there any known fitment problems?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Update on the speakers. Nothing is wrong. Didn't make any of the poping or crackly sounds when I took it to the dealership. I do think it had to do with my input from my ipod, though. Also got my truck washed for free while I was there. Thought that was nice of the service manager, I'm thinking he couldn't stand seeing my red truck driving around town as dirty as it was. I was heading to the car wash after my visit to the dealership, so it worked out pretty good.

Jason

·
Registered
418 Posts
My guess is that you may have had the volume on the iPod up too loud, driving up the input voltage higher than what the auxiliary input on the stock system liked. I would suggest checking this, and then adjusting it down and see if that helps.

·
Registered
820 Posts
i just picked up my tundra with the jbl sat. i was showing it off to my buddies at work and i think i blew the door speakers. i put my ear up to all the speakers in the truck and the front door speakers are the only ones that dont have sound coming from them. i messed around with all the option on the bass,mids etc. and they still dont work. the back door speakers work fine. i guess i'll take it back to the dealer and see if it is under warranty. i sure hope so. does anybody think there blown or am i just doin something wrong? :ts:

·
Jedi Ninja in Training
8,309 Posts
i just picked up my tundra with the jbl sat. i was showing it off to my buddies at work and i think i blew the door speakers. i put my ear up to all the speakers in the truck and the front door speakers are the only ones that dont have sound coming from them. i messed around with all the option on the bass,mids etc. and they still dont work. the back door speakers work fine. i guess i'll take it back to the dealer and see if it is under warranty. i sure hope so. does anybody think there blown or am i just doin something wrong? :ts:

Amp may have went into protect mode and shut down those 2 channels, let it cool and try again with a newer CD that will utilize all channels.

·
Registered
174 Posts
This has been debated in other posts however I would like to add my $0.02 again. First for perspective I will state that I used to design and install custom systems that included building and tuning my own speaker enclosures, making major vehicle mods, installing extra batteries, etc. I used to think that any system under $2k was just total junk. I used to like a system that could be heard for blocks, or cranked up out in a crowded parking lot or field to supply an entire block party with high quality tunes. Now I am much older with minor hearing damage and much more reserved.

The upgraded NAV / JBL audio system in my DC Limited is well worth the money. The MSRP sticker price for the whole system was $1650 but after you back out the backup camera, NAV, and bluetooth features then the stereo portion is probably costing you $650 or so. Factor in a 6% discount off of MSRP which shouldn't be too hard to get and your total is down close to $600. Now try to spend this same amount or less for a similar system including 10 speakers, subwoofer enclosure, head unit, amp, all wiring harnesses and adapters, and custom installation service. No way it can be done and come out with anywhere near the quality of the factory upgrade system, plus the factory integrates with the other functions so nicely (NAV rules!).

So the factory upgrade is well worth the money and it does sound pretty good, at least considering what it cost. If you want much better quality and/or more power then by all means do it yourself but be prepared to spend much more and potentially end up with a system that isn't as cleanly installed as the factory rig. Even if you replace certain speakers or individual components the cost of the overall system may still be worth it.
I prefer SQ over SPL... and yes, you do pay for it.... Upgraded OEM stereo packages are excellent for what they are for 95% of consumers. The remaining 5% of us have what I use to call " Lots of dollars and no sense" :D

I spent a lot of time over the past well , um , FOREVER in custom home and car a/v .... okay, not forever... since the mid 80's... Best thing I ever did was get the hell out :D

·
Registered
11 Posts
Like willeetundra said!
I spent 7k cad on my last system and I am really pleased on the sound of the jbl on my limited. And I do not have to worry about it getting ripped off.

·
Registered
820 Posts
Amp may have went into protect mode and shut down those 2 channels, let it cool and try again with a newer CD that will utilize all channels.
i turned it on the next day and the same thing happened. all other speakers work fine.the front door speakers dont have that blown speaker sound but there is a little sound coming from them but it is very muffled. is there a way to adjust the amp or reset it?

·
Registered
45 Posts
The NAV/ JBL audio system in my DC Limited almost sounds as good as my 7speaker stock system in my 05 jeep rubi.

Personally, I think it's a little overrated. Hey, at least it's pre-wired for me. :D

1 - 20 of 20 Posts