Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I plan on towing a 19 to 21 foot center console down to the Gulf. I'm trying to get my ducks in a row before laying down the cash.

It looks like I should be able to pull the boat but how will I do getting it out of the water? The Grand Isle ramps are less than stellar. I don't want to be "that guy".

Do I need to get something done to the rear differential?

I've been in some 2wd vehicles with a traction control button and the vehicle always pulled boats great with that feature? What is that TC button actually doing to help?

Oh and by the way does the towing pkg include a LSD or anything extra to help in this area?

Thanks ahead of time!!!! KYLE

·
Toyota Lifer
862 Posts
First off good luck with the boat!!:tu: Make sure the LSD is in your package and you should be good to go. Make your self a pair of chocks for your wheels so you don't slide down the ramp if you screw up. Also make sure you are behind the wheel , don't trust your buddy or girl!:eek:

Your truck should be fine for what you are describing. Make sure you scout out the ramp first and consider doing a dry run. If you have any other questions PM me. ;)

·
Premium Member
1,130 Posts
Timely question as we are heading down to SC for camping and boating.

I have learned that a 20' tow strap is a very handy item to have in the truck. If you're stuck on the slippery ramp, anyone can give you a tug from the dry part. Unless no one is around.

I like the chocks idea.

If you have LSD, you should be fine, though. There should be a sticker on the rear diff that says LSD if it is LSD.

Tom

·
Lifetime Member
241 Posts
I have never needed 4wd (yet) to get my boat out of the water. I do however have the LSD and most ramps that we use are pretty good. I have a 20.5' Bayliner, weighs close to 4K with trailer.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Like the others stated should not be a problem, my last Tundra did not even have lsd and we still had no problems on step concrete or dirt ramps. I was a little concerned about 2wd this past winter but the Tundra did just fine with our 4500lbs pontoon with light snow on the ground.:tu:

·
Registered
910 Posts
Try it out as is and see what happens.

Let's say that you do have an open diff and end up with some spin...here's an old trick to help out. Set the park brake about half-way and hit the gas. The brake will distribute the power to both wheels more so than just having the open diff.

Let's say that doesn't work and you keep getting stuck and you have an open diff. You can use one of the Lock-Rite locker setups to get power to both wheels all the time, except when cornering. The upside is that you get as good of traction as you're ever going to get (much more than LSD) and these units are cheap (about $350). The bad news is that they can be a bit squirley during normal driving, especially on wet roads. Do a search and you will find out more than you ever wanted to know about lockers!

Good luck and have fun!

·
Registered
251 Posts
One thing you can do, make sure that your fuel tank is 100% full. A common problem on boat ramps, when the fuel isn't full, is the air in the tank adds buoyancy to the rear end and can actually lift your wheels off the ramp depending on the anlge of the slope and how deep you are in. You also benefit from the added weight in the rear end. Second, depending on the tongue length, you might want to consider a hitch extender just for launching the boat. Good luck!!

·
Registered
130 Posts
I tow a 22' center console that weighs in around 3000lb. I haven't had any trouble on ramps and I have a 2wd with the LSD. The ramps I use are in pretty good shape, but I have never had to use 4wd to pull a boat out anywhere. You should be fine.

·
Toyota Lifer
862 Posts
I tried to post again about this but it did not go through.....:confused:

Anyway, I use my 4x4 every time I haul my 18' boat. In salt water areas the ramps tend to be steep due to the tidal range. The ramps in salt water also have slime/sea weed growing on them and can be as sippery as ice!!:eek:

Before you launch the first time I suggest you do a dry run and test out all of your stuff:D

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
...appreciate the posts. I suppose I'll give it a go. Any other opinions?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts