Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have a an imperial jade mica (dark green) 2002 so i have the chrome bumper, and I just painted the bumper and grille black last weekend. I was thinking about painting the chrome strip on the side molding black, would like to see it. I think it would look pretty good. If someone hasn't done it, I'm going to do it soon along with the back bumper and inside of my headlights. Ill post pics for sure.

-Tyler

·
Registered
20 Posts
yea i actually painted mine black this past weekend, paint the side molding and my mirror covers, looks good, just make sure to clean it and scuff up the chrome with lite sandpaper, be careful not to cratch the molding, it will just scratch it and you'll see it after painted still

Attachments

·
Registered
48 Posts
i painted mine black about 8 months ago (you should be able to see it in the pics on my profile). after roughing the bsm up i used duplicolor adhesion promoter and 3 coats of color matched duplicolor paint, i then hit it with a couple coats of clear coat. its been hit with tree limbs quite a few times and has yet to scratch. hope this helps.

·
Premium Member
77 Posts
I have a an imperial jade mica (dark green) 2002 so i have the chrome bumper, and I just painted the bumper and grille black last weekend. I was thinking about painting the chrome strip on the side molding black, would like to see it. I think it would look pretty good. If someone hasn't done it, I'm going to do it soon along with the back bumper and inside of my headlights. Ill post pics for sure.

-Tyler
Would love to see the pics of your bumper painted black, especially before and after. I want to paint mine black, but I'm scared. :)

·
Registered
63 Posts
I have a black 01 Tundra. I painted the trim molding and bumper about a year ago using Walmart's America's Best gloss black spray paint ($1 a can). I also spray painted my wife's Sequoia wheels black using the same paint. I gave the trim about 5 coats, waiting about 45 minutes between coats. (I was sure to tape well around the trim, so no spray got on the paint. I also covered the surrounding area with newspaper.) I did not scratch up the chrome or use any special pre-paint prep technique. I simply wiped down the chrome on the trim using Acetone to clean it up. Then, I wiped i dry and painted. The paint has lasted nearly a year--going through car washes with/without those big mop head/bristle things...and through many power spray washes at the self-wsh car wash. And, it has not scratched, chipped or faded. The look is amazing. The paint matches so well, I actaully sprayed some on my hood to cover a few rock chips. (BAD IDEA. Although it still looks like an exact match on the trim, almost a year later, it faded a bit over time on the hood. So, I added a form-fitting bug guard to cover the spray. LOOKS GREAT.) I did remove the chrome front bumper and replaced it with an Ebay non-OEM primed black bumper. I cleaned it using Acetone...then gave it about 5 coats of America's best spray paint. It looks great!! No problems. Gives the truck a totally updated look. I also sprayed the part chrome front grill. It did not last long, because of the many rocks on our roads. The paint chipped repeatedly. So, I replaced it with an Ebay all-black grill. It finished the blacked out look (along with some black wheels). CONCLUSION--painting the trim was simple, fast, and made a marked improvement the look. The bumper and grill finished the look (along with the wheels). I'l try and post pics later today.

·
05' Tundra (Tun-Tun)
520 Posts
it might look like this....

·
Premium Member
1,362 Posts
Another option would be to get some aftermarket molding that's wide enough to cover the square holes left after removing the factory molding, there are a lot of colors out there to choose from.

I did mine about 7 yrs ago and it's never leak or peeled.....even after kissing many trees and rocks.....

·
Registered
583 Posts
in my 02 i replaced it with a smaller black one was easier then painting it. on my 06 i just removed the chrome strip and looks much better being i have a black truck and wanted all black look.

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
yea i actually painted mine black this past weekend, paint the side molding and my mirror covers, looks good, just make sure to clean it and scuff up the chrome with lite sandpaper, be careful not to cratch the molding, it will just scratch it and you'll see it after painted still
Did u take the molding off before u painted?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts