Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,581 Posts
I know ASC offers a Lifetime limited warrant on their water pumps. I saw a price of $75 or the 3.0 V6 and $99 for the 2.4 4-Cyl. Strange that the smaller 2.4 water pumps get more $$$ wherever yu shop this.

I can't find warranty info on Bosch Pumps at their site. Not much on the web for Bosch water pumps on Toyotas.

Did yu price an OE Toyota pump. Grant it, WILL be More $$$. How much I don't know. Alot of labor installing this. And be prepared to change the Timing belt also, if yu did not consider it. It is proper to replace together as they are both integral to the tear down. Yu might know this already!

But I like OE Waterpumps and Timing belts ...from experience on past owned Toyotas. I've never seen an aftermarket water pump outlive an OE water pump. Most Toyota dealers will lifetime warranty the pump if they do the service. Doing the job yourself will save several hundred dollars in labor too though. Just need the correct tools to make it smooth going.
Just my thoughts.

LT:)

·
Registered
483 Posts
But I like OE Waterpumps and Timing belts ...from experience on past owned Toyotas.
I must second this, I usually use non-OEM parts like oils, oil filter, pads, rotors etc. Anything else like alternator, starter, pumps, fuel filters, air filters, belts, gaskets, coolant etc, I would strictly use OEM for 2 reasons. First, they are excellent quality and second I don't like rework which essentially is paying twice for labor:mad: .

·
Premium Member
2,581 Posts
I must second this, I usually use non-OEM parts like oils, oil filter, pads, rotors etc. Anything else like alternator, starter, pumps, fuel filters, air filters, belts, gaskets, coolant etc, I would strictly use OEM for 2 reasons. First, they are excellent quality and second I don't like rework which essentially is paying twice for labor:mad: .
Ditto, the short...buy cheap...buy twice... endup with twice labor and time and $$$. Costs more $$ in the end.

BTW, when it comes to belts, I noticed that Toyota OE belts really don't cost much more than Aftermarket ones, but last alot more and never sqeak prematurely. The Timing Belt however is a critical belt and I would only use OE for this reason alone.

I only know this from experience. But my experience might be of help to yu.:rolleyes:

If we were talking about a very old vehicle destined for the junkyard on its last leg, (a hoopty or train car that must serve yu 2 miles to the commuter train and back every day)having no value left, then the approach here would be diferent.:)

LT

·
Registered
26 Posts
If you can find a mitsobisho ??? spelling ??? (not Mitsubishi ) water pump and belt, they ARE the supplier to Toyota for these parts.

Without the Toyota name, the are a few dollars cheaper. NPW also makes a good quality water pump for imports.

There are quite a few I would stay away from, especially rebuilds. On external water pumps, rebuilds were acceptable, but when driven by the timing belt on an interference engine, I would spend the few extra dollars.

When ever I replace a belt with an internal driven pump, I learned to always change the pump. Mitsubishi's, Mopars ( 3.0L which IS a Mitsubishi ), Ford's, Subaru's ...... Just a good practice to follow.

Also INSPECT CAREFULLY the pulleys. Most times they are in good condition, but if there is any sign of 'dust' or 'rust' near the center bearing, or noise, or doesn't feel smooth either turning or on the surface, by all means replace any offending ones.

Just my experience and $.02

1 - 5 of 5 Posts